One a many moons ago, in September in the release log for 4.10.0, we talked about the future plans of the mod, namely the upcoming effort to completely rebuild the mod from the ground up, to eliminate memory leaks, bugs, unused assets, and other performance issues. After the release of 4.10.1 in mid-December, this project started in earnest. While RL has unfortunately been slowing progress more than I'd like, I'm pleased to give you an update on what has been done up to now:
- Ported over all planets and their abilities
- Ported over all of the Empire's ships, save supercapitals, and their respective abilities
- Ported over all of the Empire's research
- Ported over all maps save those with predetermined factions (ex. Thrawn Campaign)
- Ported over the UI plus all of the various Window folder's files
- Ported over all the music files, explosions, sound effects, strings, and particles
With all of these tweaks and inclusions, the rebuild is in a playable state with Empire vs. Empire matches, pirates and supercapitals excluded, being possible. Lag has also gone down significantly, have ran AI vs. AI simulations on the Medium Large random map and a little over an hour in with Squad Reduction enabled, I could watch battles at 1x speed without facing crippling lag. While this performance will slightly worsen as more factions are added, these results are promising. The next faction that will be added to the rebuild is the Clone Wars-era Republic. Also, enjoy these two pictures from the rebuild; skyboxes are from vanilla Sins.