Welcome everyone, here we are in the middle of May and time for the new RTTF. I have to tell you all that the work is slow these months as many members of the team are finishing up some personal matters. However we are not at a stand still and we are making progress. Some of the things that we are working on are the levels, models, code, and animations and game play. There are some adjustments we wish to make as well as some texture work.
Here are a couple of the Model’s that Ryan Duffy has finished up.
The maps are also being tweaked and finished up. So that is good news. I mean just look at what Robin sent me.
All in all we are moving along nicely. I wanted to finish up this week with your "Ask the Devs" questions. Please enjoy and see you all in June.
1) I wanted to ask if you could give me a rough estimate or something of when the new updates will be coming out? It would be great to have new people play and our unit is lacking on members because of the low amount of current players. Our clan leaders want to can the idea and go back to DoD, but i told them to wait and see what happens.
Unfortunately, it is hard to predict when future updates will be ready for public consumption. For example, right now we are going through a rebuilding phase for not only the team, but the Orange Box port. So, all the cool stuff we had planned got pushed back. We just need a little more patience from you guys and hopefully we will be back on track. - Josh
2) Are there any future plans to add bots? Would be really awesome if you did.
At this time there is no plan to add bots to RnL. - Hunnicutt
3) A question i have that i hope may be addressed sooner or later is about animation and gameplay mechanics. Is there any improvements planned for the wall climbing and cover vaulting system? For example like a new animation or first person view animation for wall climbing. And maybe when vaulting fences and walls that only come up to waist or torso height, there could be a different, faster and more high energy vaulting mechanic and animation to go along with it.
I can say that most of the animations are being re-done for the Orange Box release. This is one however I do not think the change you outlined is implemented. To animate such a thing would take a very long time. We are trying to get the next relase out sometime this year. If we did this then it would not happen. There are a few animations that we must get done before hand. I am sure the Animator and Team Leaders will consider it down the road. - Hunnicutt
4) What are the planned changes for Ardennes in Beta 1 (Til Sichel
said he was making changes based on player feedback, but did not
a) More space around the village - the fields will be extended and offer more routes.
b) Spawns will be protected
c) Any glitches like the displacement bug will be gone
d) Many new rooms and buildings, mostly accessible
e) Lighting will be updated and improved - Til
5) What can we expect in terms of future weapon load outs prior to next release?
The loadout system is being replaced completely. More details on this in the future. - Josh
6) Is the ironsight-problem finally fixed with the next update? I mean, with the second zoom level the K98 doesn't shoot exactly where the ironsight is aiming on - quite annoying. Or is it just me, is this already fixed with alpha4 ? Don't know. I still have the feeling that it's a bit inaccurate. The Garand ironsight works, as well as the first zoom level of the K98.
The Iron Site system is redone in the OB Release and in effect this problem has been taken care of. That is all I can say at this time without giving anything away. - Hunnicutt
7) What can we expect with the next update, will it be the first official beta (not alpha) release? What will be in it?
The next update we believe will be the Orange Box Release. It is a big update and as such there will be many changes. All for the better we believe. To go into all the changes would be a long task and give to much away. However there will be more weapons and classes. I am not sure if all of these classes will make the first OB release but by the 2nd or 3rd update for sure. - Hunnicutt
And last... how long does it take until the patch?
To coin a phrase I heard before I got on the team. "When it's done" :P I have been told though that we are working hard to get the first Orange Box release out within 4-6 months. - Hunnicutt
Thank you all for your continued support and donations. It all helps and makes us feel good to know we are putting something out there that the public wants and is passionate about. We are taking questions for the June RTTF now and hope to have some major updates of our own for you! Till then, thanks!