Hello there, Companions!
We’re happy to announce that the new playable race, the Scarres, has been added to the game in the biggest update since our Early Access release! To celebrate this we’re launching a Weeklong Deal that puts Glorious Companions at 50% off until Feb 24th. This is the biggest discount so far and the price won’t drop this low for quite some time, so get the game cheap while you can!
The Scarres took us longer to develop than we initially thought, but in the end we didn’t want to launch them too soon, without dedicated Captain Calls or fully working special abilities for each one of the red lizardmen. Unfortunately the changes in this patch will require you to start over from the beginning. To sweeten that we’ve added some features and tweaks that will improve the initial campaign experience.
If you want to learn more about the new race check out our special Scarres Steam Guide here -> Scarres 101 Guide
Anyways, let’s dive into what the update brings into the game:
Scarres - the New Playable Race
Some of you might know that in theory some Scarre units were already in the game. However, they all used outdated models that were made some 7 years ago, they didn’t have any abilities nor all the weapon animations, and on top of that, they didn’t even have dedicated armor models. They were also not a playable race, in the sense that you couldn’t pick them when you’re starting the campaign.
All this changes with the Scarres Update. The old content was scrapped entirely and we’ve redesigned the whole race, their play style, unit types and skills from the ground up.
Scarres come with their own resource called Vengeance, which they need to use their special abilities. Contrary to the Valrenay that start each battle with their resource bars filled up, Scarre units start battles with no Vengeance and replenish it when their nearby allies receive damage or die, making them stronger as the battle progresses.
Scarres will have 5 classes of their own, each with 4-5 special abilities (out of the 10-12 planned for the full version) to wreck havoc on the battlefield. They will introduce the fantasy element back into the game that was up till now overshadowed by steampunk themes. The Red Lizardmen use blood magic instead of technology, which will introduce a few pretty cool spells.
We’ve made a lot of fixes and balance changes to the already existing abilities. Additionally, the Tooltips System has received a small rehaul and we will finally be able to show more information about the skills your companions use.
On top of that, we’ve finally enabled AI to use some of the spells (mostly single-target abilities at the moment), so don’t get caught surprised when an enemy unit pulls out a Master Ability on your captain.
We’ve been getting a lot of feedback about the lack of direction at the beginning of the game. To combat this, we’ve implemented an Overarching Goals System that will always give you something to do. Right after the first battle, you’ll be able to choose your first Goal. We’ve made a whole tree of goals and you can expect different progression based on your choices.
As for the smaller stuff, as always we’ve spent some time fixing quite a few nasty bugs, both the ones that we discovered on our own and the ones the community has reported. The AI has received another batch of changes too, though it’s still nowhere near the state which we intend for the full game to feature. We’ve added thin HP bars for the shields as it’s honestly pretty weird that we hadn’t thought of this one earlier.
And finally, we’ve made some important fixes / changes that should get rid of the frequent crashes, or at the very least minimize the issue. We’ll investigate it further to see if the problem was successfully eradicated.
- New playable race of Scarres featuring Acolyte, Scarrling, Warlord, Shamaness and Avenger.
- Four to five abilities for each Scarre unit.
- Captain Calls for Scarres.
- New Captain Call for the Trapper.
- Changed the Gunner's Captain Call.
- Enemy AI can now use some special abilities.
- Overarching Goals System.
- Shield HP bars.
- Improved Ability tooltips that show more info.
- Small Main Menu overhaul.
- Displaying a success chance % when using abilities.
- Enemy Captain AI tweaked.
- Tweaked the enemy party balance.
- Applied an uniform distribution of buildings across the island's cities.
- Added a unit number limit in Custom Battle modes.
- Fixed 'Tough' trait bug. (reported by lordnivek1)
- Fixed the bug with bindings not saving after restarting the game. (reported by TheRealHoseHead)
- Lots of bug fixes for the Valrenay abilities.
- Fixed a bug with ranged projectiles not disappearing and the camera going too far.
- Fixed a leak that caused the game to crash.
- Fixed a lot of Camping related bugs.
- Fixed a few bugs with the Esc menu.
- Fixed a few bugs with time flow and targetting on the World Map.
- Fixed the invisible tutorial wolves bug.
- Fixed a bug with ability fx glitches when used for the first time.
- Fixed Blade Dancer's fingers glitching through shields.
- Fixed unit HP bars displaying incorrectly at low camera angles.
- Fixed a leak when selecting abilities in Custom Battle.
- Fixed a bug with training the captain unit and Hunger.
- Polished scene loading.
Also you can read our recent interview with Turn-Based Lovers under this link: Turnbasedlovers.com
Let us know what you think about the changes!