First I'd like to mention, this is new to me. I've been messing around with the xml flies of FoC for a while now but it was always in my spare time and the deepest I ever got into it was modifying ground unit stats. I had come up with the idea for a Galactica mod some time ago with my buddy but it was always just an idea and not something very real. This was because I didn't have 3D studio Max at the time. I finally got a copy of, version 3ds max 7. I do have some experience with 3D modeling but Max looks to be a completely different beast. It may take me 1 to 3 months to get familiarized but after that I should be able to get to work on the hardpoints.
(The above model of a battlestar was made by David Kerin and will be the placeholder for now.)