Today, let's take an overview of the dialog system in TRPGEM and especially the choices tree.
In TRPGEM you lead a threesome of classical heroes ; a warrior, a wizard and a rogue. These three heroes are not exactly a brave and proud team. To be honest they are a bunch of antiheroes.
Each of them has it's own personality, different moods and tastes. Those characteristics will help you anticipate the best choices to make when you speak to an NPC.
- Ludwig, our proud warrior, has a preference for tough and powerful men like himself, he loves heavy armors and taverns. On the other hand he hates redheads.
- Shannon, the rogue, is a charming women who won't hesitate to use her charms on the males she meets. Although she is a real pest when she faces other women or poor lads.
- Ebenezer, the wizard, is a smart wizard and takes advantage of his eloquence. He likes to speak with erudites and lovely women. Although he's a kind of a pervert.
To trust only these profiles would be too easy, so each NPC has it's own personalities and affinities with different type of players. Because of this your choices might not be appreciated by the NPC and most of the time you will have to use your feelings on the choices to pick.
The choices tree.
When a dialog choice comes in, a tree grows up from the top of the text box which represents, with icons, the consequences of the choices you made. You can't know what's going to happen with each choices, you have to pick one to know.
Different type icons exists.
- The conflict icon: usually happens when you made the worst possible choice, the conflict will usually start a fight or simply end the discussion. The NPC will then refuse to speak with you, and you will have to find a new way to succeed to your goal. Although the conflict is not inevitably the wrong choice, a fight could resolve many situations and can make you gain a lot of experience or goods. It's a risk to take, you could meet a stronger character than you.
- The reward icon: When you make a perfect chain of response in a dialog you are rewarded with both XP and goods. The more the tree is complex the more you get.
- The XP icon: Each choices that doesn't lead to a reward will make you gain XP. You can end a dialog and only have had XP rewards.
Some trees only have 3 paths to take but other have a lot more and it's for the player to decide how his heroes will behave.
Thank you for reading.