Let me start off by saying, this is NOT an April fools gag. I should of choose a better day to post this but oh well. As many of you know, there has not been a major update to Blitz2 in quiet some time, that is publicly or within the secret lairs of the volcano. How ever I assure you all this mod is vary much alive, I would simply say devlopment is stalled at this time. Korona was, well he pretty much did everything and we feed him some very constructive feedback. We thank korona for everything hes done in the past, he was unfortunately detoured to work on other projects. Since then he has not returned to fix up Blitz. I've scoured the files for hours trying to figure out all the code. Maybe I could fix it, but there is so much to go through, you have no idea how many lines of code go into just 1 unit in Blitz2. Those of you familiar with ZH modding know how much has to go into a single unit, well with blitz the code length is 10 fold at-least. There is more armor values than ZH and every weapon has has 10 files of lengthy code to produce the wonderful 'true combat', in which each shot has a different out come. No 2 units use the same weapon code either. Then we have things like multi build tanks, tech tree based on combat xp, the list goes on and on my friends.
So now I have a proposal for you guys, I will publicly release the latest version of the beta. Before I do, here is a list of improvements from the latest public version;
- Smoother game-play both physically on your machine and in "how the game feels and progresses"
- Greatly improved balance
- Squad based infantry (yes it does work)
- "True Combat" tank simulations IE: A tank may miss or score a light, critical, normal or disabling shot.
- Improved air combat
This is just a short list of the best improvements. Now we come to the list of faults, and boy is it big;
- Game glitches
- Multiplayer games always end in a "Missmatch" about 15 minutes into game, (I thought we had this narrowed down a player gaining tech3, but further testing reveals is just missmatches at 15 minutes regardless, I believe it may have to due with a high amount of data being transferred back in forth.)
- Dreaded "Air Bug" suddenly everything on a players screen will explode for no reason at all (hopefully you're looking at the enemies tank hoards :P )
- Multibuild tank system doesn't "feel right" not in idea, but in execution
- Squad based infantry are really jagged and rough around the edges, but they work
- Towed AT gun 'dig-in' bug, sometimes they cant shoot once you bunker them in, well they can but they shoot the ground right in front of themselves
Well that's all I can think of right now, but there's more I assure you, it is a beta after all. I'd say the game is 99% complete, not for the next release but for good this time, completely done. we've added everything possible we could think of, summed up the gameplay, made it easier and way more fun to play. The only thing left to do is clean up all the unused data (yes it does have extra data for stuff we dont use anymore, and theres a lot of it) fix the bigger bugs (multiplayer missmatch bug being the top priority) and polish up the gameplay just a little bit more.
I'd like to get your opinions on this, and let me know if you'd like to take a crack at fixing the beta. Really the only thing I want fixed is the multiplayer crashes, I can live with the rest of the flaws but I can't even play with this one.Also, if you're reading this Korona, I'd like to thank you for the tremendous amount of work you did on this project . (and for supporting all my ideas because we both know they were awesome :P ) I'd love to see you come back just to finish the current beta so we could unleash it on the world, but I completely understand you're desire to pursue other projects, and support your decision to leave, you've done a wonderful job (not to mention more than enough) and I wish you the best on your future projects and endeavors.