ASoD 0.6 has been released on the server (hopefully) and on the alternative download location. This version of ASoD concentrates on expanding the universe and fixing some glaring game issues such as the inability for NPCs to warp.
A lot of sweat has gone into this version, and I am very happy with the results. As for balance of fixes and features, it is pretty much perfect. Some great bugs and game holes have disappeared that used to dominate the ASoD landscape.
Here is the wonderful list of all the features new or fixed in ASoD 0.6....
- NPCs warp! This includes from waypoints as well as towards you when you aggress their buddy.
- NPCs rebalanced so that some ships now have accurate stats.
- Weapons fire now disrupts warp drives! This means you can breach an NPC's warp channel and vice versa; it also adds some wonderful interdiction.
- 4 new solar systems and 2 new factions. A materials corporation and a research group were added that fly the required ships.
- Sound effects issue fixed where some NPC fire didn't make a sound.
- Several new commodities and some price fixes to balance and expand trade routes.
- Streamlined and more intelligent patrol AI implements warping as well as the ability to accurately traverse small distances of space (which, suprisingly, fails more often than warp when warp is added to my old AI).
- Bug fixed where some systems like Geol would not get NPCs.
- Standings system overhauled + a new standings dailog.
- Trade tool added to explore commodities bought and sold where you have explored.
- New slasher station docked graphics.
- Animated explosions.
- WinXP bug fix where the standings ovverides other game files.
Not everything I planned made it obviously, there were a few hickups in the new media for some additional features. However, we will have something for 0.7 .
- Please please please please PLEASE delete your old game files! In windows xp they are in c:/ and in vista they are in c:/users/public. On linux you find them in your home folder (eg /home/masternerdguy). The file names are .amongSeasOfDustStarMap, .amongSeasOfDustStandings, and .amongSeasOfDust and may be hidden on your PC. Failure to delete WILL corrupt your ENTIRE ASoD 0.6 game experience!
- Remember that a modifier was deleted that didn't force all NPCs into the same speeds; this is no longer useful or needed. So, now if you used the F key to activate debug mode, use E since it got moved down a peg.
- Try some new styles of play, combat is significantly harder with the warp mechanics in place, however a sturdy combat ship and some intelligence can balance it out. But how do you get that ship.......
I get very little feedback, and it makes me feel like no one really cares. PLEASE send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org, as a private message, or even a comment on this article! Here are some areas I am specially interested in....
- Do you enjoy the game?
- Do you like it better in this version or previois ones and why?
- What is your play style?
- How often do you play and for how long?
Thanks in advance and enjoy ASoD 0.6!