(Today I have a question for those of you that follow the mod, about possible implementation of singular infantry in the mod rather than squads, please leave your thoughts in the comment section below about what you think and I'll put my reasoning for wanting to change squads to singular now.)
So why the proposed change?
Long story short, due to me wanting to make a classic C&C styled mod; singular infantry has been in the pipeline for a long time. I originally created a non-released Tiberium Wars mod that had singular infantry and the concept itself worked fairly well, albeit unpolished.
There are numerous benefits to a single infantry system, such as:
Pros for Singular Infantry:
- Being able to choose the contents of your own "squad" of infantry, rather than having the game decide for you.
- Being able to balance infantry on a 1 to 1 basis, EA had to account for the multiple members of the squad, hence why infantry are the weakest incarnation of all of C&C in Tiberium Wars / KW.
- Being able to implement infantry collision, something lost in C&C3 due to the need for squads to be able to morph into different shapes based on the environment. (not implemented in above video yet)
- Being able to control and micro infantry on an individual basis, rather than as a group.
- Generally improving infantry effectiveness, singular infantry means you can up the damage of each individual infantry unit (and cost) without worrying about affecting the balance too much.
- Healing singular infantry is considerably easier than healing a squad (don't have to replace members etc)
- Easier to add individual infantry upgrades and abilities due to not having to consider other members of the squad.
- Veterancy applies better, with squads losing members it actively ruins gaining veteran infantry.
- APC's are wonky being able to accept 2 whole squads but only 2 engineers.
Pros for Squads:
- More epic / impressive battles
- Squads more neat looking with general gameplay, singular infantry diffiicult to select
- Could be balance issues with the changes
Some of the notable downsides of not having squads is that infantry can look more "messy" and don't have the clean look that squads have, they can also be somewhat more annoying to select individually and you will have to rely on drag-select more often, but I personally feel these problems are minor compared to the gameplay differences above.
So what about now?
Currently singular infantry has only been tested on Marked of Kane with them having a couple of singular infantry types which can be purchased alongside squads (for testing purposes).
If I think this is a well accepted idea I will go forward with the changes to make an entirely singular-infantry system for each faction in the game, with infantry rebalanced to fit their new "sole" roles.
Please let me know in the comments below what you think of this idea, its important that I get feedback for this as the change could be quite controversial, I know there are people out there that like the squad system so it'll be good to hear their feedback. :)
Cheers and Happy (belated) New Year!