There's always more aliens to blast, pilot! Travel back and replay a classic Shoot 'Em 'Up with all new graphics, SFX, and a new announcer pack to spice up your experience! With blessing from an original developer on Warblade, Simon Quincey, this mod also implements graphics shown publicly for Warblade II (which was never released due to the sad passing of Edgar Vigdal). This mod is a tribute to his amazing work and the childhoods he inspired with Warblade's deep and action-packed gameplay. Also features several different pack file choices depending on what you want your ship to be!
Hey everyone, and welcome to the first released mod for the original Warblade on ModDB! Read on to check out graphical changes, a video in action, and a changelog, as well as a little personal anecdote about the game/mod.
Warblade came out in 2003, and I remember playing it with my dad fondly. It's one of the earliest games I actually remember playing, and I spent hours chasing secrets, getting better, and hunting down all the ranks I could. Whilst the elusive Sol God Rank has never been on my profile, I still whiled away hundreds or even thousands of hours over the last eighteen years revisiting Warblade again and again. Now, as an adult and experienced modder, I asked the question every modder asks - can I add to this game somehow?
Warblade II was a project I watched in anticipation, but when the sad news of Edgar Vigdal's death reached me, I was heart-broken. It was deeply saddening to hear the creator of one of my childhood games had passed, and without seeing his creative legacy through. For many years, Warblade has languished without official word as to the sequel. In light of this, for my modification, I sought to try and restore some of this content into the original and put my own spin on a number of graphical changes that I feel, if nothing else, freshen up the game many may've spent decades playing. To ensure I was respectfully doing this, I got in touch with one of Edgar's close friends and co-workers, Simon Quincey, to discuss the usage of graphics and the creation of the mod. With his blessing, I powered on and created the full mod, alongside assistance from Iridum77 for technical support (a role he regularly performs on mod projects of mine) and Entity37/Sam Warren as the announcer for the action-focused Announcer Pack 3. With the story of how this came to be out of the way, check out the changelog below for a look at what to expect in Warblade: Tribute:
- Changed borders to resemble those seen in MK2 pre-release material. Easy and Hard have versions based off the YouTube "industrial" preview whereas Normal and Ace have borders based off of the pre-release logo renders
- Changed player ship and all associated graphics to be that from Warblade MK2 complete with movement animations
- Changed menu logo to the MK2 ship
- Changed "moth" motherships to resemble the remastered sprites
- Changed "wasp" motherships to resemble remastered sprites, and recoloured the smaller aliens to be more fitting
- Changed "sphere" sprites to better resemble remastered sprites
- Changed "V shape" motherships (in the last 10 levels or so) to resemble cut sprites, and the normal aliens received minor recolours for consistency
- Changed "frog fly" mothership aliens to better resemble the remastered sprites
- Changed splash screen to have the mod's title
- Changed company splash screen to serve as credits for the three mod developers
- Fixed some very small texture artifacts in the "rank-down" purple marker
- Changed meteor storm money pickups to green to make them more easily identifiable
- Changed moving sprites of the "flying saucer" aliens at Levels 17-20 to be consistent with their still sprites
- Remade the gameover text in a different style
- Changed bronze star to be more bronze and less orange
- Changed pink rank marker symbol on the border to be more pink and less purple
- Changed a few of the noticeably lower quality sounds
- Made large jewel variants match those seen in the Memory Station mini-game so all seven are represented
- Made arrow pointer a little smaller
- New announcer pack by professional voice actor
- Added alternate pacfile that swaps singleplayer ship and relevant graphics to the second player ship
- Added alternate pacfile that changes all icons back to the Warblade 1 ship
Warblade was a huge part of my childhood, and it was super rewarding to revisit it for this mod. I know I'll be sinking another chunk of time to trying out the game again, and be sure to leave a review if you do play the mod! If you have any bugs, feel free to report them, and I will try to fix them soon!
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
Warblade Tribute: Main 1.0 Release Files, utilising the Warblade II player ship!
Warblade: Tribute: Player 1 Ship patch for the main game files
Warblade: Tribute: Player 2 Ship patch for the main game files
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Add file and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.