A short single player experience set in the Half-Life Universe featuring a unique gravity defying weapon that allows you to jump buildings and sustain large falls. The story takes place at a mysterious date & location after the events of Half-Life : Episode 2. Where are you? Why have you been sent?
This review may contain spoilers
I don't feel like typing out a super detailed review so I'll do pros and cons:
- It looks alright, pretty great detailing and lighting and atmosphere.
- New, unique ideas and a few not-so-new, not-so-unique ideas that still work.
- The bundle of H-beams that you can cut zombies in half with.
- A lot of interaction with the environment.
- The lens flares/**** on the screen. That's not a stylistic choice, it's just ugly. The last thing you want to do is create visibility problems in something where the color palette and art style already make everything monotonous (monotony isn't bad in this case, as Half-Life's environments are all about monotony).
- I noticed this with the crowbar and RPG especially, everything is OVERLY SHINY. Too reflective. Turn down the specular, man. It's unrealistic, especially for something so dirty - plus Source doesn't really allow for it to look too good.
- Unoptimized. Most of the time I can keep a steady 60+ fps, but when the game gets spammy that tends to drop. Specifically the zombie pit (you didn't need that many zombies to convey that the player can't kill them all) and the area before the finale with all the exploding scaffolding.
- Crashes a LOT. This is Source, which crashes unexpectedly already. This somehow managed to pack on some crashing for extra credit.
- Cluttered environments and spaces that are a little too tight. I appreciate the detail, I do, but holy **** turn off collision.
- The lighting was nice, but it conflicted with gameplay. Spotlights pointing me away from where I need to go and very little visual contrast except for a few tunnely areas. Obviously don't put giant flashing "GO THIS WAY" lights, but subtle lights along the path the player needs to go never hurts anyone. Valve is great at this.
- Developer included their control settings. Not a big issue, but it's annoying to rebind everything. Also seems like the download was really big for what it was - either compress your textures or remove the stuff you didn't use because it should NOT be that big for the little amount of content.
Highest Rated (11 agree) 10/10
If someone told me that this is Half-Life 2 : Episode 3 Demo i would believe him. Quality of lighting, level design, scripting, atmosphere, everything here is Valve quality level, if not even higher, this mod is simply amazing.
Mar 30 2015 by Gunship_Mark_II