The Longest Journey HD is a mod for one of the best adventure games ever made. It includes neural network upscaled backgrounds and sprites, redrawn user interface and a lot of other small improvements thanks to ResidualVM implementation of the game engine. I wouldn't call it the final release, rather version 1.0. There is always room for improvement, because SISR algorithms are not perfect and the quality of the original graphics assets is not consistent. Anyway, future updates (if any) will be mostly cosmetic, nothing significant. Enjoy the game! P. S. Special thanks to bgK for his extensive support and assistance.
The Longest Journey HD graphics mod. Upscaled in-game videos (FMV) are available as a separate download for easier updating of the main mod. Please, read the installation instructions below.
1. Install The Longest Journey. If you don't own the game, you can buy it on GOG or Steam.
2. Extract the contents of the downloaded zipped package to the game installation directory. If asked, overwrite all existing files. Make sure that the path to the mod looks like this: 'The Longest Journey\mods\TLJHD\'. You can also download upscaled in-game videos (see 'Files' section) and extract them to the game directory as well.
3. Download ResidualVM for your system and extract files to any folder. This is an essential step, because the original game engine doesn't support modified assets and overall have many issues on modern systems. You can find ResidualVM in the 'Files' section of the mod or download it from the links below.
Important info: If you're experiencing any issues with the provided version of ResidualVM try to install a daily build from the official website: Residualvm.org
4. Launch ResidualVM, click 'Add game...' and choose the game (not the mod!) directory.
5. In the 'Graphics' tab select 'Override global graphic settings' and 'Fullscreen mode' options. Click 'OK'.
6. Enable anti-aliasing for 3D models. Click 'Options...' (not 'Edit game...', or it won't work) and select the level of anti-aliasing in a drop-down list. From my experience 4x is more than enough for The Longest Journey.
7. Click 'Start' to launch the game. Ignore the popup message and click 'Start anyway'.
ResidualVM supports keyboard shortcuts for different in-game actions.
You can view the full list on the official GitHub page.