"We just have received word that a group of terrorists took over the Lonely Weapons Laboratory near Seattle. No more information are currently available. The CEO of Lonely Weapons, Fuzzy Mcgee is currently missing and we have not been able to establish contact with the terrorists. Your main objective is to infiltrate the laboratory and find Mcgee. Find information. I want to know who is behind this." The third person mod, Half-Life: Tactical Espionage Action puts the player in the role of secret agent Frank Johnson. His mission? To stop evil!
* actually a third person shooter in half-life!
* great level design.
* the story is OK, kind of reminds me of metal gear solid, but not nearly as good.
* stealth is more of a gimmick than anything, whenever you're allowed to kill you're just better off killing or sprinting through.
* can't save wherever you want, which is really annoying in combat levels.
* annoying death animation (screen fading).
* pretty buggy (was able to reach objectives even though I got the mission failed screen).
* the combat system is frustrating and bad:
- you've only got two ways to defend yourself, some weird knife kick and your gun.
- meanwhile your enemies got real SMGs and grenades which they will spam at you.
- the weird knife kick is practically useless.
- you are clearly using an SMG, but you have to tap as fast as possible to shoot like one.
- iron sight doesn't let you look all the way up when it's needed.
* takes about an hour to complete.
I can see that a lot of work was put into this, but there's so much you can do with an old unmodified engine...