In 2011 I started browsing the latest graphical/sound quake mods, putting together a pretty build using LordHavoc's darkplaces, rygel's ultra textures packs, the reforged packs and a variety of mods, to play quake original. Anyone can do the same, however the hassle comes when you have to browse the quakeone forums, stumbling to find the posts which detail what cvars and what configs/files you have to overwrite etc in order to get each mod to work. I literally spent as much time getting the mods working as playing the game. So I put together a nice-looking build of quake original and it's expansions called epsilon for everybody to get into, without getting into the hassle of config files and searching to find every available mod then getting them to work! The main quake build also includes the original shareware first quarter of the quake game - it is easily upgraded to the full game by dropping in the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files from the full game's id1 directory (more details below).
This is the best partial-conversion/map-pack I've seen for Quake, and rivals the original game, once you get into it. The first few levels feel like your usual space marine thing, but the further you get in... dark. This was released by the Travail team in 2007, who have thankfully given their blessing for me to patch/package it for use with the epsilon build and have helped me with building it. It consists of 3 episodes, 15 levels, plus a secret level - plus it's own (highly atmospheric) soundtrack! Great work by the team.
This is the best partial-conversion/map-pack/mod I've seen for Quake, and rivals the original game, once you get into it.
The first few levels feel like your usual space marine thing, but the further you get in...
This was released by the Travail team (http://quakeone.com/travail/) in 2007, who have thankfully given their blessing for me to patch/package it for use with the epsilon builds.
It consists of 3 episodes, 15 levels, plus a secret level - plus it's own (highly atmospheric) soundtrack!
Great work by the team.
* Quake Epsilon build
(or any modded darkplaces build with (at a minimum) the quake reforged bestiary skins, shambler castle pk3, rygel texturepack (or QRP texturepack) and dp pretty water mod in your id1 folder).
* Quake Epsilon Mission Pack 1 addon (will run fine without it, but may use some textures from MP1)
* Quake Epsilon Mission Pack 2 addon (will run fine without it, but many textures will look blurry)
* the full commercial version of quake (ie. full-version .pak files copyed into your id1 directory)
* NOT required: full commercial version .paks for quake mission pack 1 and 2
1. Unzip it into your main quake directory.
2. Run the game:
Windows: (double-click) quake - travail.bat
Mac: (double-click) quake - travail - mac
Linux: (double-click) quake - travail - linux
1. The first level has a lift button - a small square red button - that isn't immediately obvious. I ran around for ages without finding it.
2. Hi-polygon enforcers (tabun's or other) cannot be used with this mod. The additional hardcoded travail enforcers are based on the original model and will not work correctly if the .mdl is changed. Don't worry about this if you're not doing your own build/modding.
Differences from original travail package:
1. Fixed final level for use with darkplaces (original level could not be completed in darkplaces due to script/spawn problem), thanks to Jack Meacher!
2. New azoth model from Andrew (Preach) Denner added.
3. My quake-reforged-mod alt-enforcers added for the 2nd and third kinds of enforcers in travail.
4. Multiple travail packages combined.
5. Some older models stripped away.
6. A few models added courtesy of Quake Reforged, fragger, lightning hunter, the Shambler castle team/OoPpEe and Seanstar.
7. Handy startup batch/bash files added with lighting adjustment on first run to compensate for lack of 'full lighting'.
8. Original quake flame models added back in (otherwise any build using the small mod compilation and these maps will have no flames in some places).
9. .ent and .rtlight files generated for travail start map to properly differentiate from id1 directory start map settings.
10. Seven's transparent HUD used.
11. Travail soundtrack converted from .mp3 to .ogg for darkplaces engine.
12. Jakub's VIS'ed maps and relight files used.
13. All files extracted from .pak in order to override any files in id1 directory - particularly travail's progs.dat, which is required to complete the game.
14. Gloss, norm and luma maps generated for all the travail-specific monsters
15. Different 'flaming skulls' knight-spike used.
16. Travail-specific monster textures and chain-shotgun edited and detail added by me. Also placement corrected.
Sources and thanks to:
Nahuel and QR Bestiary's reflecting enforcer: Quakeone.com
Andrew Joll Shambler: Quakeone.com
Seven's Transparent HUD (edited): Quakeone.com
Jakub's Vis'd Travail maps and .lit's: Quakeone.com
My travail enforcers (modified from quake reforged enforcer alt - new versions) and red ogre (modified from original ogre).
Fragger skins: Quakeone.com
Lightning hunter's classic grunt: Quakeone.com
Seanstar skin for hipoly fiend: Quakeone.com
Seanstar's Sauron Knight and Hellknight: Quakeone.com
My edited skin ("grubby") for hipoly wizard (modified from original: Quakeone.com) and red-edited reforged ogre.
Skull knight-spike (various authors, predominantly webangel): Quakeone.com
Moondrunk reflecting water (modified by me): Quakeone.com
My Quake Reforged Bestiary dog mod ("black")
My edited (added detail) Travail skins
The skull knight-spike contain elements which are licensed for distribution either under CC attribution or GPL, at the discretion of distributor.
In the context of this compilation they are licensed under CC attribution; CC attribution license can be found at Creativecommons.org.