In 2011 I started browsing the latest graphical/sound quake mods, putting together a pretty build using LordHavoc's darkplaces, rygel's ultra textures packs, the reforged packs and a variety of mods, to play quake original. Anyone can do the same, however the hassle comes when you have to browse the quakeone forums, stumbling to find the posts which detail what cvars and what configs/files you have to overwrite etc in order to get each mod to work. I literally spent as much time getting the mods working as playing the game. So I put together a nice-looking build of quake original and it's expansions called epsilon for everybody to get into, without getting into the hassle of config files and searching to find every available mod then getting them to work! The main quake build also includes the original shareware first quarter of the quake game - it is easily upgraded to the full game by dropping in the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files from the full game's id1 directory (more details below).
Abyss of Pandemonium - the 'unofficial' (but still commercially-released) third mission pack for Quake, and most likely my last official addon. A great experience from start to finish and full of Quake'y goodness. My only disappointment was that the final boss isn't tougher. Taken from the Abyss 2.0 re-release, in my release I've updated and upgraded textures for the new monsters, and done the same for the new weapons in the mission pack - re-worked the soundtrack - many other things. A lot of people have asked for this, I'm sorry it's taken so long to provide- enjoy! Read more below for installation instructions etc.
Epsilon Build Addon pack - Mission Pack 3 - Abyss of Pandemonium
The 'unofficial' (but still commercially-released) third mission pack for Quake, and my last official addon (most likely).
A great experience from start to finish and full of Quake'y goodness. My only disappointment was that the final boss isn't tougher.
And this is pretty much the definitive version of it, in my view.
Taken from the Abyss 2.0 re-release, my release adds updated and upgraded textures for the new monsters, and for the new weapons in the mission pack, a re-worked soundtrack, and other things.
A lot of people have asked for this, and I'm sorry it's taken so long to provide- enjoy.
* Quake Epsilon build
(or any modded darkplaces build with (at a minimum) the quake reforged bestiary skins, shambler castle pk3, rygel texturepack (or QRP texturepack) and dp pretty water mod in your id1 folder).
* Quake Epsilon Mission Pack 2 addon (will run fine without it, but I've designed this to inherit some graphics, settings from the MP2 addon)
* the full commercial version of quake (ie. full-version .pak files copyed into your id1 directory)
* NOT required: full commercial version .paks for quake mission pack 1 and 2
1. Unzip it into your main quake directory.
2. Run the game:
Windows: (double-click) quake - mission pack 3.bat
Mac: (double-click) quake - mission pack 3 - mac
Linux: (double-click) quake - mission pack 3 - linux
No bugs that I'm aware of, but of course there are a few graphical anomolies:
1. As a result of having to use the game's own progs.dat, the blood looks pretty old-school.
2. A few of the textures look a bit dated.
3. Some areas are over-lit as they have not been customised for darkplaces (and would take phenomenal amounts of work to do so), but these are few-and-far between.
4. Some of the buttons aren't quite right-looking.
5. There's a part in aop1m4 (fourth level after difficulty selection level) where you (in appearance) "lock" yourself in an area without the key to proceed beyond that area. That's not the case. All you need to do is some clever jumping and backtrack a little...
6. There's a few areas where the lighting causes slowdowns in enclosed spaces. Don't worry, it won't happen often. The main two are on the first level after difficulty selection.
7. Also, the second-to-last level - the end door (gold door) is intentionally hard to find. Not impossible though.
Differences from original Abyss of Pandemonium 2.0 package:
1. Updated and added detail to the new monster models, added lumas and normal maps etc etc etc.
2. New models for the ogre and knight/hellknights courtesy of TeaMonster and the quake 2 Dawn of Darkness mod. Hellknight/knight models edited by me and lumas added etc. Decided to go with an 'incorrect' texture for knight that I modified as it made it look awesome. Original texture didn't look as cool.
3. New animated teleporter courtesy of moondrunk.
4. New dog and grunt models courtesy of Capnbubs, norms etc added by me.
5. Took the soundtrack, correctly looped it, encoded as .ogg, changed the volume settings for each track to be optimal in-game, and added a couple of my own tracks for the two levels which weren't covered by the existing soundtrack (assumably because of space limits on the original CD-ROM).
6. Added detail to the Abyss weapons models. Added normal maps etc.
7. New detailed (replaced) textures, dual-enforcers and sky textures courtesy of Ironwarfare + Ingiger
8. Added a modified 'smooth demon' skin - modified from original shambler's castle + seanstar images.
9. Improved lighting, texturing, blood and flame effects.
10. Ammo icon corrections.
Sources and thanks to:
Abyss of Pandemonium 2.0: Moddb.com
Capnbub's Authentic Model improvements (norms gloss etc by me): Quakeone.com
Ironwarfare's Abyss texture + seven's enforcers patch + additional ingiger skies: Quakeone.com
Dawn of Darkness Knight and Hellknight (ported by seven, edited by me): Quakeone.com
Shamblers Castle Hipoly models and skins: Quakeone.com
Teamonster's Ogre: Quakeone.com
frag.machine's mutant (demon replacement) ported by Seven, edited with more detail by me (original port: Quakeone.com)
Ingiger's 'starfire' skies: Quakeone.com
Quake Reforged Alt-Bestiary Skins: Quakeone.com
Tabun's enforcer and alternative skin: Quakeone.com (with special permission from Tabun: Tabun.nl)
Seanstar's vore, fish, shambler & scrag skins: Quakeone.com
Mykey/ooppee/moo grunt: Quakeone.com
Bloodvengeances rtlights (some edits by myself) and texture pack, seven's effects: Moddb.com
Additional 2 tracks for the levels without music - one taken from this album: Exolve.bandcamp.com, the other is some of my own non-album work, reused from the Star Control 2 Precursors project: medievalfuture.com/precursors
Thanks to all the people who continue to make great quake stuff.