The New Jedi Order mod
The Yuuzhan Vong War comes to an end, and the Galactic Civil War period is expanded upon with four new Galactic Conquests:
- New ‘9 ABY: Heir to the Empire’
- New Republic, Galactic Empire (Thrawn’s Confederation)
- New ‘10 ABY: Prelude to Darkness’
- New Republic, Imperial Loyalists
- New ‘10-11 ABY: Dark Empire’
- New Republic, Dark Empire, Imperial Mutineers
- New ‘29-30 ABY: Unifying Force’
- Galactic Alliance, Yuuzhan Vong
While some cover the same time period as Thrawn’s Revenge, the GCs are original, with a different interpretation, fresh design and the distinct flavour of the NJO mod, and were built from the ground-up.
An Imperial expansion campaign has also been added to the Dark Tide GC. This was a successful trial for adding playable campaigns for factions that are not a core part of the story material covered. I.e. the Imperial Remnant don’t appear in the New Republic or Yuuzhan Vong campaigns, but they are still playable. This will be extended in the next release, so that more factions have opportunities to take part in additional GCs.
The ‘Imperial’ faction slot is used to represent many distinct subfactions with their own unique tech trees, land and space rosters, and play style, depending on the era. Three new playable Imperial factions are introduced in 0.8:
- Galactic Empire (Thrawn’s Confederation)
- Imperial Loyalists
- Dark Empire
Galactic Empire (Thrawn’s Confederation):
Space: TIE Vanguard, TIE Defender, Scimitar, Gamma Assault Transport, Lancer, Carrack, Ton Falk, Type-A Fleet Tender, Katana Dreadnought, Strike, Enforcer, Vindicator, Immobiliser-418, Victory I, Victory II, Procursator, Imperial I, Imperial II, Dominator
Land: Army Troopers, Stormtroopers (Spaarti Clones), Plex Troopers, Scout Snipers, Noghri Assasin Team, Speeder Bike, Skiff, AT-PT, AT-ST, Chariot LAV, I-H, Mobile Artillery, LAAT/i, AT-AT
Imperial Loyalists roster:
Space: I-7 Holwrunner, TIE Defender, CR10, CR90 (modified), DP20, Carrack, DP70, Strike, CR120, Acclamator I, CC-6400, Immobiliser-418, Modular Taskforce Cruiser, Harrow, Procursator, Imperial II, Allegiance, Torpedo Sphere, Mandator II, Vengeance
Warlord-specific (buildable in the territory of certain warlords): Skipray, TIE Hunter, Acclamator II, Katana, Enforcer, Neutron Star, Gladiator, Victory I (Crimson), Tector, Conqueror, Praetor II, Mandator III
Land: Army Troopers, Stormtroopers, Blackhole Stormtroopers, Plex Troopers, E-Web, Scout Sniper, Speeder Bike, ISB Agent, Royal Guards, TIE Mauler, Skiff, Chariot LAV, AT-PT, Century, AT-ST, AT-AA, I-H, Mobile Artillery, XR-85, AT-AT
Dark Empire roster:
Space: I-7 Howlrunner, TIE Droid, Skipray, CR-10, CR90 (modified), DP-70, CR-120, Lictor, Star Galleon, Acclamator I, Modular Taskforce Cruiser, CR-6400, Victory III, Procursator, Imperial II, Tyrant, Allegiance, Secutor, Praetor II, World Devastator, Vengeance, Sovereign
Land: Stormtroopers, Blackhole Stormtroopers, Plex Troopers, E-Web, Scout Sniper, Speeder Bike, Royal Guards, Dark Sider, TIE Mauler, IDT Gunship, Mobile Artillery, AT-PT, AT-AR, AT-ST Assault, Century, XR-85, AT-AT
Space: I-7 Howlrunner, A9, Shadow Droid, CR-10, CR90 (modified), DP-70, CR-120, Acclamator I, Star Galleon, Modular Taskforce Cruiser, CC-6400, Victory III, Procursator, Imperial II, Allegiance, Secutor, Praetor II, Tyrant, Bellator, Mandator III, Sovereign, Galaxy Gun Missile
Land: Stormtroopers, Blackhole Stormtroopers, SD-10, E-Web, Scout Sniper, Speeder Bike, Royal Guards, Dark Sider, TIE Mauler, IDT Gunship, Mobile Artillery, AT-PT, AT-AR, AT-ST Assault, UT-CT, Viper X-1 Automadon, Chrysalide, AT-AT
Dark Empire tech progression occurs when Palpatine in Eclipse I is killed.
In addition, the Yuuzhan Vong are now an emergent faction in every Galactic Civil War-era GC, with the new INVASION mechanic. The player can decide (by clicking on Helska IV) whether or not to trigger an early Yuuzhan Vong invasion, destabilising the balance of power and setting up novel ‘what if’ scenarios like the Reborn Emperor being the last bulwark against the Yuuzhan Vong invaders, or the Praetorite Vong arriving in the immediate aftermath of the Battle of Endor. The INVASION mechanic is solely under the player control, and you have one choice per GC as to whether to play with the Vong as an emergent faction or not.
Reworked New Republic core space roster and era system:
Era 1: T-65 X-wing, Y-wing, B-wing, A-wing, GR75, CR90, Nebulon-B, Balrus, Assault Frigate, Assault Frigate B2, Dreadnought, MC80A, MC80 Liberty, MC80 Independence, MC80B, MC85
Era 2: T-65 AC4 X-wing, E-wing, B-wing, A-wing, GR75, CR90 (modified), Nebulon-B, DP-70, CR-120, Proficient, Defender, Republic SD, MC90, MC80 Independence, MC85, MC104, Pelagia
Era 3: E-wing, K-wing, B-wing, A-wing, CR90 (modified), Sacheen, Hajen, Corona, Majestic, Republic SD, Nebula, Endurance, MC90, MC104, Viscount
Era 4: XJ1 X-wing, K-wing, B-wing, A-wing, Ranger, Hajen, Corona, Bothan Assault Cruiser, Republic heavy cruiser, MC90, Nebula, Endurance, Strident, Mediator, Viscount
In addition they have access to a Fleet Reserve Yard:
Era 1: Action IV, Neutron Star, Strike Cruiser (modified)
Era 2: Assault Frigate, Neutron Star, Strike Cruiser (modified)
Era 3: Xiytiar, Balrus, Proficient, Strike Cruiser (modified)
Era 4: Xiytiar, Balrus, Strike Cruiser (modified)
...and a Captured Imperial shipyard:
Era 1-2: Immobiliser-418, Victory I, Imperial I, Bellator (1 only)
Era 3: Immobiliser-418, Victory I, Imperial II
Era 4: Immobiliser-418, Victory I, Imperial II (Rejuvenator-subtype)
Galactic Alliance core space roster:
Era 5/Galactic Alliance: XJ3, B-wing, Ranger, Balrus, Republic heavy cruiser, MC80B II, Rejuvenator, MC90 II, Harbinger, Mediator, Viscount
The Galactic Alliance can also construct their member states’ shipyards on any world:
Mon Calamari Subsidiary: MC40, MC75, MC80M, MC80 Liberty, MC80 Independence
5th Fleet Shipyard: Ferret, Sacheen, Corona, Majestic, Nebula, Endurance
Kuat Drive Yards Subsidiary: Imperial II (Mon Mothma-subtype)
Rendili Subsidiary: Dreadnought, Assault Frigate, Republic SD
Corellian Engineering Corp Subsidiary: CR90, CR-2200 Interdictor, CD-10
Civilian Spaceport: Cloakshape, R-41, CR10 Patrol Ship, Guardian, Firespray
These lists do not include the large number of indigenous units available to the New Republic and Galactic Alliance (including Imperial and Chiss ships buildable by the GA from Imperial and Chiss space respectively).
The New Republic can also choose whether to specialise their worlds for military or economic purposes – with space station construction trees giving a choice between defensive stations and economic/population ones.
- New ships, including: Eclipse I, Eclipse II, Vengeance, MC85, MC104, Pelagia, Liberator/Emancipator subtype ISD, Sovereign, Yuuzhan Vong Dreadship, Strike Cruiser (modified), Tyrant, Miid Ro’ik II, Galaxy Gun Missile, Gladiator, Victory III, MC80 B II, MC90 II, CR-2200 Interdictor, Crimson Command ISD + VSD I + VSD II, Rejuvenator-subtype ISD II, World Devastator, TIE Phantom, Conqueror SD
- New space stations, including: Galaxy Gun, Orbital Ion Cannon, Orbital Hypervelocity Gun, Inos Fonada’s Asteroid Base, Captured Imperial Shipyard
- New heroes, including: Jan Dodonna, Lord Cronal, Reborn Emperor, dark side Luke Skywalker, Carnor Jax, Sate Pestage, Kam Solusar, Burr Nolyds, Vima-Da-Boda, Umak Leth, Ars Dangor, Ved Kennede, Feyet Keiz, Syun Snunb
- New units, including: ISB Agent, Alpha Blue Operative, Dark Side Adept, Imperial Sovereign Protector, SD-10 Battle Droid, AT-ST Assault, AT-AR, Chrysalide, Viper X1 Automadon, I-H Repulsor Tank
- Tech progression has been introduced for the Empire of the Hand, allowing them to merge with the Chiss Ascendancy and providing access to Chiss units.
- Corporations: CEC, KDY, SoroSuub, Sienar and many others that provide ship discounts and boosts
- New planets, including: Alsakan, Kaikielius, Vortex, Altyr V, Vjun
- New/edited space and land maps
- New replacement icons
- New sound effects
It contains a huge amount of new material, but also includes system-upgrades and patches to improve the gameplay experience.
- AI overhaul – the AI are now much more aggressive on all difficulty levels, and the bug of passive AI has now been resolved. The hardest difficulty setting is still recommended for the most challenging game.
- Space combat – the pace of space battles has been slowed down in 0.8 to stop combat feeling rushed. Balancing has also been improved.
- Level 4 shipyards – factions which can build Battlecruisers and Star Dreadnoughts/Super Star Destroyers will now need to build a Level 4 shipyard to construct them
- Jedi and Sith – force users and lightsaber-wielders are now much better balanced than before, and are useful in combat again. Each force user has their force abilities, and their rank in eahc ability, included in their tooltip for quick reference
Thanks and acknowledgements
While NJO started as a submod for Thrawn's Revenge 2.1, it has evolved a lot since then, with many, many new models from the Alliance mod and from the Vong Invaders Expansion (among others). All models are used with permission - and with my sincere gratitude to all those modders from the community who have agreed to share their assets and hard work for this project - something I hope all can enjoy.