Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas 1.5.8 is released
Happy autumn! We've been working hard and today we're proud to announce the release of MTA:SA 1.5.8. You will receive an automatic update soon, but if you don't have MTA installed, you can get it from the home page or from ModDB.
- This is the 25th 1.x.x release
- 407 days
- 1 deprecation
- 5 announced backwards incompatible changes
- 41 new functions
- 68+ bug fixes and changes
- 465 commits
- 197 new open GitHub issues
- 102 resolved GitHub issues
- 108 closed GitHub issues
- 45 new open GitHub pull requests
- 194 merged GitHub pull requests
- 36 closed GitHub pull requests
- 39 contributors of which 27 are new
- 98+ total contributors
- 4 vendor updates
This release is (mostly) backwards compatible with the older 1.5.x releases (1.5.7, 1.5.6, all the way to 1.5).
If you're a server owner, please take note of the Changes in 1.5.8 wiki page, more specifically the Backwards Incompatible Changes. You may need to update your scripts for 1.5.8.
We now have a Twitch channel and @Woovie has been streaming almost daily the past week. We won't be streaming every day going forward, but do expect it pretty often!
amx is a software package that allows the execution of unmodified San Andreas: Multiplayer 0.3.7 gamemodes, filterscripts and plugins on Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas 1.5.8 and higher servers. It is open source, and a prebuilt binary for Windows is available for testing purposes right now.
Check out our GitHub repo for more information on how to use your SAMP scripts in MTA!
This release includes many additions, improvements, and fixes:
- Add dxDrawPrimitive3D and dxDrawMaterialPrimitive3D (#760 by CrosRoad95)
- Add functions to modify dynamic objects' behaviour (#784 by forkerer)
- Add dynamic ped ID allocating using engineRequestModel and engineFreeModel (#349 by lopezloo + Neproify + Arran + qaisjp)
- Add functions to manipulate colshapes parameters (#1215 by StrixG)
- Add element data subscription functionality (#1055 by tederis)
- Add engineGetModelTextures function (#1058 by Lpsd)
- Trailer sync fix (#1247 by tederis)
- Added wheel scaling functions (#1641, #1644, and #1648 by AlexTMjugador)
Read the 1.5.8 release notes for a complete set of changes and more information about the improvements listed below. Watch or star our GitHub repository to keep on top of all the things we're working on. Below is a very small subset of what we've improved:
Important future script changes
From 1.6 onwards we will be making at least the following changes:
- callRemote callbacks currently set the error code to nil when there is no error. In 1.6, to be consistent with fetchRemote, the error code reported will be 0. See GitHub #294.
- Since July 2016 if you provide an invalid string like "randomstring" when a function expects a number, the string will be treated as 0 and raise a script warning. In 1.6 this will be an error. You will still be able to provide strings containing numbers (e.g. "100" and "12.34"), this change only affects invalid strings. See GitHub #1043.
- When providing a width and height of (0, 0) to createBrowser or guiCreateBrowser you will encounter a script error instead of a warning. The warning was introduced Feb 2019. See GitHub #1069.
- Some functions expect only unsigned integers (positive numbers), and since Jan 2016 providing negative numbers would be a warning. This will now be an error. See GitHub #1070.
- Since Aug 2015, we replaced the custom mtalocal:// URL scheme with Mta. This mtalocal:// URL scheme will now be removed. See GitHub #1071.
This list is inconclusive and we may introduce more changes later.
Multi Theft Auto depends on community input and contributions. To keep a project like MTA going we need LOTS of people. You can help in the following areas:
Testing and bug reporting
Whenever you encounter a bug or recognise a need for improvement, we can't fix it until you tell us your problem!
We're continually working on new features and fixes for MTA, and this always needs testing. Join our Nightly release stream and make sure you keep in touch with on Discord and report issues on GitHub.
If you know C++ you may be interested in helping improve Multi Theft Auto's client. Working on open-source software may seem scary, but the best way is to try! Read GitHub's open source guide, and then find an itch to scratch, or scratch your own!
Documentation is important, but also time consuming. If you enjoy writing and have some knowledge of English, or you would like to translate the English version to your native language, you’re very welcome to do so. Just head over to our wiki, create an account, and start editing!
Do you like people? Can you give calm and thought-out responses to users needing help? Then you can spend some time providing support to those who need it. Many answers can be found on our wiki, so make sure to take some time to read it. Then, either join our chat or forums (linked below), or simply help us sort out issues and answer questions on the GitHub repository.
Want to translate MTA to your own language? Awesome! Visit us on Pootle. As soon as your translation is approved, it will be pushed to our repository for use in future releases.
Keeping the MTA downloads, master server and websites alive costs money! If you want to help us sustain our financial expenses, please donate!
Thank you to the following community members for their donations this year:
Arran, Belle_Delphine_Nudes, Born2Tech, CanadienFr, (SAUR)Castillo, Dmi7ry, FlackoAR, IIYAMA, (SAEG)Malone , Platin, Riantx, SalahHasoneh, [CIT]Stealth|GIGN, Tapleto Host, TioPerchitas, -ffs-Sniper, TITAN RPG, Viude, XaskeL
Thank you very much to the following community members for their work towards this release:
0x416c69, Addlibs, AGraber, AlexTMjugador, ApeLsiN4eG, buepas, colistro123, Disinterpreter, ecastro98, knitz12, MegadreamsBE, pentaflops, PerikiyoXD, theSarrum, Simi23, tederis, TheNormalnij, Zangomangu, and many others who contributed to our wiki and helped out with issues.
(If your name is missing or you want to change your entry above, please let us know on Discord!)
You could be on this list! We're always on the lookout for new contributors. Contribute on GitHub, and chat with us on Discord. We have channels for scripting, general support (bugs), mod development, and many more!
And one more thank you to every member of the MTA staff who helps support this forum and Discord. Without you donating your time, this project would not be nearly as successful as it is now.
Have a good autumn!
— MTA Team