Released in June 2001, Korax Mod 1.0 was the first ever Hexen gameplay mod. Throughout the next few months and years, it introduced a slew of new RPG features: experience and leveling, customizing your character during creation, new weapons and spells, monsters dropping silver and gold bars, buying and selling items at shops, special "damage skin" sprite sets to make it clearly visible a monster is badly hurt...
Today, the same team is raising the bar once more with the release of Korax Mod 5:
- Introducing an RPG complexity setting that allows the player to mold the game to his personal playstyle, from a complex RPG system to a near-FPS setup that feels a lot more like Heretic's fast-paced gameplay than the classic Hexen shuffle.
- Shortcuts: breaking up the linear monotony and the frustration of the tedious search for the last hidden puzzle switch - now you need to solve less than half of a hub's puzzles to be able to proceed to the next hub (but you might want to linger for the experience and loot).
- "Pistol Starts": built-in support for warping to the beginning of any hub and receiving weapons and armor automatically so you have an actual chance of beating the game from that point without using any cheats.
- Vastly expanded bestiary: not only are there a few completely new enemies and many new types of existing monsters, even the "classic" ones might surprise you by dodging your attacks, running away when low on health, closing large distances with a single leap, and generally finding ways to move around the map and reappear behind your back.
- Defeating Korax wasn't a solo effort: embark upon this epic adventure with a supporting cast of merchants and craftsmen, as well as two sidekicks that will race you to kill the most monsters in the area they stake out.
- A large arsenal of new weapons and spells; custom armor with resistance gems.
- Designed to support custom maps and mods out of the box: create your own mini-RPG using a large number of new items, weapons and spells, as well as NPCs with pre-configured conversation scripts offering all basic services. Korax Mod is distributed with a Developer's Reference Guide containing detailed instructions on how to create and distribute your maps and mods.