Independents is a conversion mod for Freelancer set in an original universe. The mod aims to make a more immersive experience by providing more contrast and variety than vanilla Freelancer did. The mod is also lends itself more to encouraging teamwork by separating out rolls so that players can specialise more and complement each other when flying together. The current version, dubbed the Alaska Prototype, is set up for the purpose of testing ships, equipment, combat, and the basic economy of the mod. Play is confined to the Alaska system, which has been set up specifically for testing with space for three of the mod's primary factions and areas of varying levels of combat between them.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 </xml>
The most important change for the Alliance has been supplying them with enemies that are easier than the Federation Armed Forces and Colonial Republic Military. Many of the FAF and CRM encounters along the nav routes have been replaced with easier corporate NPC spawns. And the FAF encounters in the upper right quadrant of the Alaska system have been replaced with new Imperial Naval Forces NPCs.
The Alliance ships have also received a few changes. Most noticeably the Brite can carrier new heavy fixed weapons, giving it a significant increase in firepower over the Saul. The Ackroyd and Koontz however had their shield strength reduced by half.
The Alliance should still be a hard faction to fly for, but it should no longer be impossible to make a living flying for them. In fact although hard they pay a lot more for bounties now so good pilots might be able to do very well flying for them.
The beam weapons went through several variations during testing. The approach finally settled on was to make them more accurate and to just boost the shield resistances of smaller ships to them so they didn't become overpowered against fighters. They are now quite powerful and can punch through shields of larger ships fairly easily. This is balanced by their large energy consumption, and their slow turning rate which makes them less useful at short ranges.
Because they rely on energy and not ammunition the beam weapon free up space for more shield batteries and make for rather survivable ship that can deal a lot of damage. This was the goal for the beam weapons; however, they may require more downsides than just the lower range due to their energy use to balance them with the other weapons.
The Federation starships received large boosts to their turning rates and energy. This will hopefully let them take better advantage of the rebalanced beam weapons and new starship forward weapons added in this update.
In addition to these major changes there are numerous smaller changes that have been added as work on the major changes has progressed. These include the re-addition of flak weapons, new weapon visual and sound effects courtesy of Bubb9, and lowered thruster fuel on all ships, to name a few.
Changes in 0.4 beta:
- Re-added flak and proximity weapons
- Re-added missile jammers
- Added new weapon visual and sound effects
- Added debris field and nebula around Tau-31 Jumpholes
- Added new base for the Empire near the Tau-31 Jumpholes (faction still cannot be joined)
- Added Imperial Naval Forces NPCs
- Added option to FLMM activation for camera look ahead
- Added second variant of plasma guns with longer range
- Added proxy bases for capital ship docking with 88 Flak version of FLHook
- Added new starship forward weapons
- Added new heavy fighter weapons
- Removed precision lasers
- Removed most lasers from NPC loadouts
- Increased corporate NPC spawns
- Removed Federation NPC spawns in the upper right of Alaska
- Moved Alliance jump hole exit to underneath Douglas station
- Reduced accuracy of NPC pilots
- Reduced thruster fuel on all ships
- Added torpedo mount to Keta frigate
- Added fourth-rate starship weapon to Cadiz equipment dealer
- Added additional turret mount to Ghen corvette
- Increased energy of Federation starships
- Increased turning speed of the Defiant and Sovereignty
- Increased turret coverage of the Defiant and Sovereignty's turrets
- Reduced turning speed on the Helios
- Reduced the Helios to 2 fourth-rate guns
- Reduced the Helios to 2 cm/mine mount & 1 computer mount
- Reduced the Athena to 2 cm/mine mounts & 1 computer mount
- Increased the Athena to 2 forward mounts
- Merged the Herme's cm and mine mounts
- Adjusted the Saul's mounts to 2 guns & 2 missiles
- Adjusted the Brite's mounts to 4 guns/heavy guns & 2 missiles
- Allowed the Revolution to mount heavy fixed guns
- Made the Sovereignty cruise capable
- Reduced shield strength on the Alliance merchant raider by 1/2
- Anti-Starship rockets no longer fire in volleys of four
- Increased hit-points of starship weapons (so they aren't striped by one torp)
- Slowed torpedoes down
- Increased shield damage of energy weapons against similar sized targets
- Drastically reduced shield damage of energy weapons against smaller targets
- Increase energy use of energy based weapons
- Adjusted ion beams to be mid range and particle beams to be long range
- Fixed Shipdealer at Douglas Station
- Fixed impulse speed on the Brite's infocard
- Fixed firing arc on the Athena's forward gun
- Fixed Helios not dying
A small update to the mod to fix a few bug and address the docking issue that has been frequently commented on.
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
This is a quick patch for v0.4 beta of the mod. If you downloaded v0.4 beta + patch you do not need this file.
This includes the patch for v0.4 beta This the base mod files for the Independents mod. This download is required for both serves and clients.
This is the base mod files for the Independents mod. This download is required for both serves and clients.
These are gamedata files for use with Ioncross Freelancer Server Operator. Updated for v0.4 of the Independents mod.
This is version 1.3 of the Independents mod Server Files. This download contains files necessary to run an Independents mod server on a patched copy of...
This is version 1.3 of the Independents mod Server Files. This download contains files necessary to run an Independents mod server on an unpatched copy...
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.