Mr. Lerwick, Mr. Taylor Lerwick I should say I hope this letter finds you well. I know that the past few months of your life haven't been the most endearing of experiences but I have something that might encourage you. My manor I recently purchased is a tired withered old place that I have grown disinterested in. Its creaking halls and lavish scenery don't invigorate me like they once did. If you could take care of it for the weekend I would be happy to cover all your outstanding debts and remember, before you decide so quickly do you really have a choice?
This mod if you do end up playing it will be a very strange experience to what your use to. Most mods I have noticed are predominantly scare or action based to a large degree with a minor emphasis on story. In Dark is not like that at all. I originally started this mod to make and amnesia custom story that was completely story driven. The scares, the levels the environments are all driven by a story line that covers about 170 years of an estates history. The thing I hope when (and if) you play this custom story when it releases is that you will feel like your playing a game that is totally conflicting. One moment you might be walking through a beautiful section of the manor at a peaceful pace and the next you are running for your life from a foe that is as perplexing as terrifying. In short In Dark is going to be a very different experience from your typical amnesia mod.
Now With that said here's a quick snippet of what you can expect in more literal terms of a random quick exposition section:
22 Levels (Each one different from the last.)
Sense of connection (No I am not kidding as per example all the first five main levels are made to seem to connect to each other to such a degree that you can see parts of other levels in different levels.)
Few jump scares (Ok there is one and that is only if you approach the situation in the most generic way.)
Stealth driven (most enemy encounters you will see the monster coming and will have to sneak by him, this may seem bad but trust me when your nearly past a monster and he hears you and turns around that is unbelievably terrifying.)
Story driven (The mod I am making will be dominated as said before by story, your involvement in this mess and other questions raised are answered throughout the story line to a much deeper extent than hopefully expected and this is mainly why the mod is 22 levels. I played around with a method to have your actions effect dialog but don't hold me to that.)
advanced scripting (the script in this mod will be pretty extensive and hopefully impressive with a machine that runs 6 separate pistons while being a code device to wind when your outside but not inside.)
exploration (I added a lot of scripts that are not on the main trail as well as voice acted exposition, so it is worth taking a look around. Also there is a lot of story that is explained in areas you don't have to go to. You will never misunderstand the story but if you want more depth look around a bit.)
voice acting (have two voice actors who are quiet talented, you will hear one in the trailer and the other in game.)
OST (there will be a original sound track to this game to adequately emphasize the feel of the area you are in.)
secrets (If you are the person that likes having a bunch of secrets in their mod then especially the last half of this mod will be a treat for you. There is a specific object which you can obtain which allows you to unlock all standard doors, in all future levels. It leads to some mild hilarity and of course it is not game breaking.)
and that should be all, random quick exposition section out!
Final note: this mod will require the Justine patch, but if it is a big issue and enough people say something about it I can do a redesign of In Dark without it.
In Dark from what input I am getting was a success, but definitely a flawed one. Some people had issues with some mapping bugs and other minor things but the point in which I set out in the first place to do was realized. The mod was praised for its story and as you will see in the description that was my personal goal all along. It may not have been perfect but the story was one heck of a ride is definitely the feedback I like to hear. Regardless I am sad to announce that I will be making no more amnesia mods in the future. The reason for this is simply I am moving on to bigger projects that I am far more passionate about. The little known fact about this mod that I never revealed was that this mod started as a simple test for the hpl 2 engine and what I could do with it. That ended up evolving into a 18 month project that I worked on and off for. I originally had no intent of making this mod this sizable or this in depth but it just ended up this way. That should give you a good explanation if you find the initial levels more rudimentary than the later ones, because I frankly had no Idea what I was doing when I started this project. The next project on the other hand I will be taking a lot more time and effort into developing. It will be a game running on unity engine more than likely and if you want to follow me on that endeavor than I will eventually make a moddb page for that project and link it to my account. Regardless it was quite a experience and I thank everyone for the support over its development.
Side Note: If anyone wants me to post the soundtrack in the downloads let me know because I can do that... hopefully
The mod is finished after about 2 years of work. I really hope it ends up being good because I can't tell anymore.
Trailer is finished and the final product should be out soon!
It is almost done! The mod is officially 22 levels in length.
Sorry everyone following for the lack of news or anything about this mod. reasons why below.
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
I never released the OST for this mod which in hindsight I should have. So here is is after like 3 years. Hope you enjoy it and ya... sorry about that.
Fixes some of the general major issues raised in the mod. So things that were game breaking have now been resolved for the most part. IF YOU HAD A ERROR...
It is finally finished, I hope you enjoy it because I am so done with it.
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.
мод переведен на русский язык\mod translated on russian language
I normally dont do this, however as of today (10/03/2019) I cannot find ANY walkthrough of this impressive CS on Youtube. So I started one: Youtube.com
and so far I am impressed
I agree with prebenkul, Good story, with good glitches, sorry bro but a 4 for me. As an advice, in your next custom stories you might test them and fix bugs if there are, before publishing it. Thanks
Hi there, well i played the game and it was cool and i feel that it's going to be the best just if i am able to pass the first level/place, after taking the key to the map room and after opening the first door you find a door stuck and wont move, i thought that its a part of the level/place and you have to fix/solve it, i tried everything, in that room where you can find the paper where the weird bookshelf is, i entered that flashback or that thing with that cyan button or whatever and when i saw 'stone' i headed right into that storage place where the basement is and i picked up a stone and thew it on the door, after doing this i discovered that there is a wall/part of wall stuck in the door itself + that in the antiquity room there is 2 walls, first one stuck in that house painting and second one stuck where that paper is. Please help with that and forgive me if it was long, inform me if you fixed it or if you solved it for me, thanks :)
How do you do the lever puzzle? There's one lever stuck and an invisible barricade is not letting me go further into the room with the flows
So I just played this story and there seems to be a lot of issues with it. Primarily right now that I cant seem to finish it, the Book case after uve gone through the forest part seem to be interact able. However, it doesn't budge if I try to hold onto it. Cant move it, nor back away to move it, and no lever or button to be seen anywhere. Clearly bugged.
These are spoilers. However, i don't think you can finish the game because of the book case, unless its fixed so these don't really matter anyways.
Now the hole premise was to explore and oh did I explore, I found tons of bugs or glitches that I'm going to share now:
1. The intro music stops before you get to the pedestal, ruining the immersion.
2. No explanation for the hole in the apartment roof, no commentary about it, feels to weird to not have anything to say about it.
3. When you exit the apartment, you can see the world box, the corners of the map, and it isn't hard to see either, ruining the hole experience of the story.
4. The water pools outside and across the map are solid, you walk across on it, instead of falling in the water itself, like the water itself is made of ice, even though you can hear splashing noises.
5. When you reach the study, the statue which the person is commentating on has a glitchy helmet. If you touch it, it will immediately get stuck on the wall behind it.
6. Theres a lot of dialogue on the things in the room, however, not on the random tiny picture on the wall by the desk, doesn't fit in the room and also has no dialogue about it.
7. The lighting effect on the windows in the main hall doesn't hit the windows itself. Some do, some don't.
8. There's also lighting problems in the Storage transfer And Map room doors, where the room inside is darker than the main hall. This makes it collide with the door to the said room. Which means if you open it, it will pass through the door, like its a solid object.
9. You also pass through the bricks by the storage transfer desk and can even clip inside it if you stack them on top of each other.
10. The right side banners on the courtyard door in the main hall, doesn't connect to the wall like the other banners, which means they float midair instead of on the wall itself. You can also see this with the shields over the Storage transfer room and the Map room. Also ruins immersion as there isn't anything relating to magic that far into the story.
11. When you reach the Map room, ignore the lighting issues and go In the rooms with the planks, you can trigger the planks without having to go on top of it. Just touch the bricks or on the side of them. This will make it seem like you fell but you haven't moved an inch. The map will still teleport you to the next map. Also there isn't any hole in the roof after you initially "Fell".
12. Now the game wants you to play the music, however you don't have too. You can ignore it and go straight for the note, this however will turn on the music anyways. The music also seems to follow you into the next room, and since the music is loud, it has made the red room less scarier.
13. So you get past all that and go outside in this weird forest area. Then a monster spawns, but what are you supposed to do then? The hole premise about this is to not die however there was no other way than to do just that. I searched and found nothing. The other side was blocked by a invisible wall and there where no keys to speak off, then the game gets disappointed in me, even though I had no choice.
14. So I go into West wing, and I do the thing where I go outside of the window then try to break the fragile one. However, it took me a while before I tried to throw a chair and while so, some items fell down and got stuck on the grass, and kept bouncing, creating annoying noises. Got pretty annoying.
15. Now to the second courtyard door, the basement area stairwell is not connected to the floor above, which means its also floating.
16. I also didn't need to use the courtyard key, both the first and second door was already unlocked as using the key was fruitless. It did disappear however after I went through the main hall door which before, where locked.
17. What also got my OCD pumping was that there was only one window in the courtyard buiding, and it wasn't even centered. So that was fun.
18. So I go to the basement and I see the ladder by the wine. But what I don't get is why you need one when you only get half way and the rest, you just climb on ur own. It feels useless to have one if you don't need one to climb it.
19. I also didn't get the promised wine after opening the storage, Even though they had lost the key which means, no one could of taken the wine before i found the key to said door.
20. When i got the acid room, the door outside, broke a hole through. Was this intended, or was it supposed to spawn a monster but it somehow failed?
21. There was also no clear message on how to get the acid. Theres rarely ever a point in a story where you can use non highlighted items to interact with other items. So, it took me a while after trying to find said highlighted item before trying a normal prop instead.
22. Fastforward to the point where you find the wooden crank. The monster in the hallway cannot see you if ur outside the metal door, even if you slam it and it hears it. Or even if you make it run after you but close the door, it will ignore you and not try to break the door down. Sort of ruining the "Stealth" Part of the story.
23. Fast forward until the pit, When I'm about to exit it, i get stuck on the ladder by the wooden planks where i initially set the bomb. If i go off then on, i can do it, but it doesn't reach all the way up, so i have to go off it by the planks, then try again to get the rest of the way up.
24. So i get through the forest and all and then i get to this floating world with this mysterious voice. He does sound depressed, but that isn't the problem here. It's that you can finish the puzzle before he's 20% done with his speech. Should of been a longer deal to get the door open so he can finish the speech before you can exit the map. But alas that's too late to be done now.
25. Now for the last three bugs. When you get back to the mansion, some windows still have daylight, even if its dark outside and the main windows still has the daylight effect on them and also there is a floating half part of a metal door floating midair over the trees by the gate. Probably the missing gate door.
26. And the last of them all, that i cant open the book case.
I just wish i could of helped playtest ur game, all of these would of been fixed. I've got a great eye for these things, maybe next time.
Theres probably many more, but these was who i found before the book case.
I don't think ur working on this any more or maybe you are. If you do, i hope that if you are making more, i can help you next time to make a better story than this was.
This is a 4 for me, I'd rate is a 6 if i could get to the end. You still got story potential though!