playing as a cleam suit scientist is something i've always wanted to do...and now this mod has just been graded...by me
It's clear that nobody playtested this. Every room is just enemy after enemy, with barely any healthpacks or ammo.
Digging further into what the maps are called reveals a disturbing list of random letter and numbers jumbled together. How could anyone on the dev team even work on these maps with how they're named?
Let's call it Half-Life Overextended. That's a reassembly, remake, re-imagining, merge and extension of Half-Life, Opposing Force and Blue Shift. Most parts of HL were widely extended while some scenes of OF and BS are literally copy pasted. It has a nice rhythm till the mid-game but when the devs out of ideas, the mod turned into an endless shoot'n'run FPS. Armed Zombie Soldiers which was a nice addition at the beginning make to the game a crawl due to being overpowered. In terms of length, this mod would rival against Deus Ex: The Nameless Mod and Unreal Tournament: Operation Na Pali. Though, I would prefer a shorter but coherent experience....
Great mod! excellent graphics, good and varied play/combat. Familiar enemies but new ones too. Kept me occupied for many hours.
One skin was messed up but found the fix on the web and did get stuck (couldn't move) a couple of times and had to kill myself
Overall, great effort, kudos to the design team
The mod begins nicely. It's like "OMG! Perfect mod!" - the level design looks nice, triggers and story are fantastic, there are monsters from OPFOR... But after a while I got frustrated:
1. Repeatative level design. Every few maps the style changes in something different, something that copies style of a chapter of HL, OPFOR or BSHIFT and it's very unusual if the style is own made.
2. Copy->paste. There are some areas looking exactly like in BHIFT and OPFOR. With no reason. For nostalgia? I got tired of them placed here and there and combined in different ways.
3. Nonsence level design - most of the maps looks nice, but there are strange things. What is the best entrance for a part of an underground complex with scientists? A vertical ladder which leads to a fenced transformators yard.
4. Nonsence puzzles. Die 10 times to figure out how you pass a "high voltage" place. Plus you get grenades first time at the same place and there are explosive barrels at some places and you think you have to use the grenades to destroy some stuff like in Surface Tenstion in HL1, but no - you just crouch and the electricity doesn't kill you.
5. Repeatative gameplay. Underground->outside->underground, zombies/islaves->marines->zombies/islaves.
6. Crashed because of lack of a model.
It has perhaps the longest (and most dangerous) training mission I've seen :D. Must have been a beta version map that wasn't used and so instead used for "training".
The mod itself is also very long. But while it has some good level design, in its first half... things start to change after you reach the pumping stations. From then on (including the surface levels) its pretty mediocre, random open couryards with some boxes fighting large groups of either headcrabs or grunts.
It gets pretty hard, which might be a good thing for some people but I found it to get pretty frustrating.
Like the introduction of a different low res Islave that can take twice as much damage, and a bigger reddish headcrab that takes alot of damage and moves faster. It seems like the mod was rigged to make it harder... so medium difficulty is actually pretty hard.
There are nitpicks to like some sections pretty much being copy pasted from Blue Shift, HL1, Opposing Force. Though I can only think of about 4 instances so that's not a big deal.
But the repeated voice acting from the previous games gets annoying, some custom voice acting would have helped this mod greatly.
It lacks a storyline or any scripted sequences so it gets stale.
The lack of a ending is the most disappointing thing about it. For such a long mod its a shame to see the creator sort of give up on it.
This just wasn't fun to play with the constant spam of enemies and lack of HP/ammo. Might be better in sven coop but solo it wasn't fun to play on hard. A lot of the level design felt copy pasted and lazy. The "factory" level for Xen is a mess visually. The game just sort of stops without any sort of conclusion or boss fight or anything that leaves you saying "man that was worth my time" at the end of the game. This mod took a bunch of the worst parts of half-life and just stretched them out. Fighting military grunts and spec ops non-stop is annoying and having enemies teleport in out of nowhere is pretty frustrating.
No reviews were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the review list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.