I enjoyed this mod. The areas of Black Mesa had a very classic feel to it and every room had a sense of purpose. Even the ending just felt right. No epic boss battle, the player simply slips away through an outlet pipe and vanishes from HL history. Love it.
- Mismatched models. Some were Low-Def, some were High-Definition and some were even Super-Definition. Personally I replaced the low poly models for a more modern look. :)
- Got lost a couple of times when it wasn't obvious that I had to back track.
This is a mod that does everything it can to be memorable, the intro of you walking up in your dorm room with personal pictures and then the tram ride... it oozes quality, like everything seems as though it belongs there and there is a lively functioning facility without you having to be there.
The unique locations I haven't seen before, a convenience store and book store. A crystal analysis area... even a new enemy which completely took me by surprise in a really good way.
The combat is great, its evenly spaced out, giving us a rest in between and giving just enough ammo with scarcity for health. Its tougher than HL1 thats for sure. In general you take more damage and theres some large versions of headcrabs I remember from a different mod that spices things up. Also for HL1 mod you take on the black ops at some point.
But what really surprises me is that you meet Barney early on and you can take him with you almost to the end of the mod (and its a long mod so thats really saying something).
My only nitpicks is the lack of puzzles but I've never been a fan of them to be honest and of course the ending, which seemed somewhat abrupt. Like there could have been something more to do, like going out onto a road and breathing a relieving sigh after going through all of that or something.
I noticed lack of music for the credits which is a good way to get people not to sit through it.
Very long awaited.
I like it.
It's a good half life mod with new maps and monsters, nice mapping and modelling, the puzzle is still tradition. But the ending make me disapointed
Updates are so crazy that you will probably never finish this mod.
actually just played it, amaizing mod :)
You can see my replay
10/10 only small bits that could be changed or added, if you plan on doing a final release with all bufixes, I could give you guys some ideas where I think, you should fix some stuff.
This is a very Good mod for SinglePlayer
This mod is really awesome. I'm giving it a 9/10. Why? Because it has the old Half-Life feeling that many people felt when they first played the game. The mapping is just gorgeous, believable enviroment. And the difficulty is pretty fair. But it is kind of dissapointing that it's short and the ending creates so many questions, which I hope they will be answered. With that said I'm just going to say that Residual Life, just like its predecessor (Residual Point), is amazing and it's worth the time to play it.
Well Worth the wait
This mod is a example of excellent ideas.
You play as a cleansuit scientist who is the same one from residual point.
But this one has much more of a plot
I've taken my time to play this through several times in both 1.5 and 1.7 to figure out how everything works (secrets and such) and I have some pros and cons I came across with eventually.
* CONTAINS SPOILERS! *
1) Old classic feeling to Half-Life. The details put into the level design are eye-catching most of the time - in 1.5.
2) All the alternative routes you can take, very appreciated! It's cool how you did two different ways to the end in 1.5.
3) Long walkthrough.
4) The secret doors Barney'll open for you if you bring him with you.
5) I had a negative view of Zombie Grunt first but after playing rl02a3, I ended up liking them.
1) Some secrets/easter eggs are way too complicated to figure out unless you ripent to check out how they work. No one wants to backtrack 2+ maps to check if something has changed.
rl02f feels useless. You only go there to grab the gravity gun (non-useable weapon) - in mapping language, you trigger a trigger_once which triggers a env_global - and then you have to go back. All it does is unlocking some levels further on.
2) The level design is getting worse the closer you get to the end. After rl02s and/or rl02g0 are just horrible!
Why all these weird symbols? In rl02u3s for example. They don't fit along with Xen-creatures, at all.
You walk through the awesome Borderworld (aka Xen) already in the game and then all suddenly you go through a world you'd normally see Combine overwatch soldiers from HL2 - but with Xen creatures.
3) The abrupt ending in 1.7 is as bad as in previous versions -- referring to the 'tunnel ending'.
Why a spaceship in a valley? I really hope this is just a placeholder and removed later on.
4) rl02s, a blob as a boss, really? Even the fireballs get stuck inside of him before they move towards the player.
The area with Alien Controllers and Ichthyosaurs are fine, but the rest, meh. Very short areas.
I understand the limit in Hammer could be the obstacle here, but it could've been better.
5) rl02u3 -> rl02u4 -> rl02u3, all you do here is going through a vent and comes back to meet a Scientist which is mandatory to open doors for you - and even open A Door to Another Scientist able to open doors with him, for you...
6) Lack of supplies in some levels.
7) For being a new player, it's not too obvious you have to backtrack in some levels - for example: rl02i -> rl02l and vice versa.
8) Some levels felt a bit claustrophobic at times.
Absolutely amazing playthrough experience in 1.5! Much better than average HL mods. This is hands down one of the best.
In 1.7 test version though, that's a huge level design disappointment with lack of imagination.
The dedication put into this mod is pure awesomeness! It was a real pleasure to experience. Though it can be so much better.
Thank you for making this!
P.S. You seem hard to keep in touch with since you never reply on e-mails, Togranigdo/Toxagen.
No reviews were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the review list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
Highest Rated (7 agree) 8/10
I enjoyed this mod. The areas of Black Mesa had a very classic feel to it and every room had a sense of purpose. Even the ending just felt right. No epic boss battle, the player simply slips away through an outlet pipe and vanishes from HL history. Love it. The Cons: - Mismatched models. Some were Low-Def, some were High-Definition and some were even Super-Definition. Personally I replaced the low poly models for a more modern look. :) - Got lost a couple of times when it wasn't obvious that I had…
Mar 10 2012 by UrbaNebula