Update for SoaSE v1.85 compatibility included below as well as relevant changelog!
We are officially releasing version 0.81.2 of Sins of the Prophets to the public! We’ve been working the last few months on ways to increase player immersion and make SOTP a more complete experience, as well as updating content to fit closer with the new Halo: Fleet Battles expansions. We would like to thank everyone for providing feedback, suggestions, and bug reports from the previous iterations of the alpha. We read and discuss every issue and suggestion brought forth and work tirelessly to improve the player’s experience. We're eternally grateful for having such a passionate and helpful fanbase. Our fans are what drives this mod and we have some of the best!
Greetings from the SotP dev team!
We’re hoping to improve the immersion of the player by making the experience as seamless as possible, as such we have been updating our content to be more contiguous and fit in with the Halo: Fleet Battles roster. We’ve taken feedback and suggestions from the community and used it to improve wherever possible within the limitations of the engine. We hope these changes make the experience that is SotP a much more enjoyable one. We thank you all, whether you’re new to the mod or have been actively following since the beginning, for your support and your interest in our little Halo project.
There have been many changes to this version of SotP, many of which are to do with new textures, models and UI elements. We were hoping to get the update out before E3 so that we could all enjoy the hype together, as such this update is relatively light compared to previous versions, but it adds some much needed improvements to get us that much closer to version 1.0. While you’re enjoying 0.81, this will give us time to do some more intensive work on future plans for the mod, which includes yet another rebalance of the units.
- The Orion-class Assault Carrier has replaced the Phoenix-class Assault Ship as the starter capital of the UNSC.
- The DSC-class Support Ship, Stalwart-class Light Frigate and ORS-class Heavy Cruiser have had a complete redesign, including a new textures and/or models.
- The Haven starbase has been removed in anticipation of future developments.
- The Covenant refinery and hangar defense have had updated models and textures.
- The Epoch has had slight tweaking to its texture.
- New UI elements have been added, replacing many of the old placeholders and missing icons.
- Added DOS-class Supercruiser VO (Voiced by Tyler from Halo Collective).
- Updated Covenant UI VO (Randy Aguebor).
- Added several SFX for frigate and capital ship factories.
- Updated shield impact effects.
- Updated slipspace charge-up SFX.
- Minor tweaks and EQ changes on several VOs.
New and Improved
In our effort to utilize the amazing work Spartan Games is doing for 343 in the creation of the tabletop boardgame Halo: Fleet Battles, we’ve added some of their newer designs to our roster. Our 3D artists Malcontent1692 and Sookendestroy have worked in tandem to model and texture these ships to our high standards. The Orion-class Assault Carrier has replaced the Phoenix-class Assault Ship in its role as the colonizing capital ship and their DSC-class Support Ship has replaced our older design and has been updated to better represent HFB’s stats and roles.
We’ve been trying to make the ships in the mod more cohesive, as such we’ve unified the art style of many of the ships. The ORS has had an update to its texture and model, the Epoch has has some minor texture work and the Stalwart has been completely remodeled and retextured to closer resemble the IN Amber Clad from Halo 2 Anniversary, with SotP flair. Over time we’re going to be moving all Covenant ships to the purple standard other than those we and the Homefront team deem to look best in silver.
“The ancients grace us!” as our sound designer I_Am_Sancho, particle artists Cole Protocol and Sgt Toothpaste, and UI artist WyvernZu have been hard at work to beautify the mod. There has been a significant amount of improvement in the UI, almost all placeholders have been replaced and many of the existing content has been modified. The sounds and VO’s of the mod have been gradually improving since the last update. By the way, we are always looking for more voice overs so feel free to apply by contacting I_Am_Sancho! Finally, we’re trying to make the effects in the mod less intrusive and more immersive as such our resident FX artists have been working to improve these issues.
We've taken the liberty of updating the scale chart to include the new and improved ships and reflect the current rosters. Thanks to the efforts of ElijahBl and WyvernZu it looks better than ever! Clicking the image above will take you to Eli's deviantArt page where you can download an 8K version of the chart. The chart is also included in the download for 0.81.1 of the mod.
The mod can be downloaded from the link below. Please spread the word about this release and help us reach out to those in the Halo community who might want to play an experience like this, but don't yet know about the work we're doing!
Looking to help out the mod? Looking for a way to gain valuable experience and have your name on a highly acclaimed project? We at Sins of the Prophets are always looking for capable, creative and talented people to help out and join the team. If you can code, model, create effects, voice act, concept or have any number of other skills, we’re looking for you! Contact us at any of the links below for more details and should you be interested apply today! However, if you’re just looking to playtest the mod the only sure way to get that coveted position is to be active on our forum and submit clear and detailed bug reports following public releases!
A big thanks goes out to Sookendestroy for helping me throw this article together. Have fun in SotP version 0.81!
0.81.1 Changelog (SoaSE v1.84 Compatibility Update)
- Updated mod to be Sins 1.84 compliant.
- Added DRP model.
- Nerfed DSC weapons.
- Fixed bug with DSC spawning fighters.
- Added new SMAC muzzle sound.
- Updated DSC textures.
- Fixed a number of broken unit pictures.
0.81.2 Changelog (SoaSE v1.85 Compatibility Update + Balancing)
- Necessary compatibility changes to work in SoaSE 1.85
- Sahara cloak now lasts 10 minutes, where 1 anti-matter(AM) = 1 minute of cloak (cloak ends when the Sahara is down to 5 AM)
- Sahara's AM regen has been changed and is slower compared to old rate
- Sahara's laser now is useful to light cov/unsc frigates and fighters
- HORNET mine activation radius increased to 1000 from 200. They are now deployed over a larger area than before. Ability cooldown was decreased to 30 from 90 and mine laying count was increased to 7 from 5. Increased mine clearing radius to accommodate the new HORNET activation range.
- Changed Paris armor type to match Halberd/Eion and fixed CRS armor type.
- Minor Covenant patrol ships XP set to zero.
- Re-added Haven starbase renamed as the CDA-class.