Here we go again. This time it shall be a bit different. Since the last update about Xash3D situation I was working like crazy on this stuff. Some other things in real life also happened that crippled my working schedule and free time (even more than usual), but hey... I've promised a surprise somewhere in May and that's exactly what I'm gonna do. However be warned; since last 2 weeks I've transformed into a zombie (due to the amount of crap that I needed to fix). I'm totally exhausted and I can't even think straight now (I'm awake for 30+ hours on multiple coffees) So expect very weird writing and a lot of grammar mistakes and weird sentences. The surprise part is almost at the end of the news article, but before we get into that let's start with update news.
I will risk it. It's still Xash3D, and I can already tell that's a bad idea (just as starting 4.0 version). It's not smart, it's basically time bomb waiting to explode. But for now it's only way to continue this mod.
DEV VIDEO #10:
- [Engine] Edited supported resolutions, added 1280x800 resolution.
- [Engine] It's now possible to change skill cvar in-game without forced reset.
- [Engine] Disabled startup vids.
- [FX] Enhanced dynamic lights can be enabled or disabled via menu or console cvar "sm_dyn_lights".
- [FX] Disabled blood puddles for monster_generic and monster_hevsuit_dead entities.
- [FX] Disabled bubble particles for monster_generic entities, this will fix bubbles casted from holograms in hazard course.
- [FX] Restored classic decals.
- [FX] Restored classic liquid textures.
- [FX] Fixed map "Loading..." text.
- [GIBS] Temporary disabled gibs collision with player and NPCs (it caused stuck moments).
- [Items] HEV/PCV battery is now casting dynamic light.
- [Items] Added item_suit_long, used to invoke long HEV startup sequence.
- [Items] HEV suit is now using different animation for c1a0d spawn.
- [MAP FIXES] Added a lot of Blue-Shift map entities fixes, making it playable.
- [MAP FIXES] Fixed a lot of minor bugs (e.g. Hazard Course and barney using button_push animation instead of keypad multi-punch on light switch)
- [NEW GAME MENU] Added new, New Game menu that includes chapter selection.
- [NEW GAME MENU] Added game settings sub-menu in chapter selection menu.
- [NEW GAME MENU] It's now possible to change skill level, particle quality and set some advanced options via new menu.
- [NPC] Added new LD model for human grunts with more head variations.
- [NPC] Fixed bug with barney anims.
- [NPC] Implemented some fixes related to skin color and submodels.
- [NPC] Security guards and scientist will now use correct sentences based on game mode.
- [NPC] Rewritten Dr.Rosenberg NPC.
- [Sound] Fixed bugged footsteps sounds when playing OF mode.
- [Sound] Fixed volume bug with sentence chunks.
- [Sound] Fixed bugged sentenced sounds emitted from ambient_generic entity.
- [Sound] Death *flatline* sound won't be played if player is playing as barney.
- [Sound] Fixed sounds for entity based explosions.
- [Subtitles] Added basic (placeholder for now) support for Closed captions.
- [Subtitles] Added some fixes for Blue-Shift subtitles.
- [Subtitles] Added game-text for Blue-Shift.
- [Weapons] Added OF M249 SAW.
- [Weapons] Added OF Sniper rifle.
- [Weapons] Added OF Displacer weapon.
- [Weapons] Player is now picking up 1 grenade per 1 world_model grenade, instead of 5.
- [Weapons] Fixed weapons holster times.
- [VGUI HUD] Is now rendering crosshairs instead of sprite based hud.
- [VGUI HUD] Added short PCV startup animation.
- [VGUI HUD] Added short HEV boot up animation (for other than c1a0d HEV pickups).
- [VGUI HUD] Fixed bugged visibility of HUD objects.
- [VGUI HUD] Added sound for PCV pickup and fixed HEV pickup bell sound.
- [VGUI HUD] Opposing Force is now using default HUD font instead of scanlined (it's easier to read).
- [VGUI HUD] It's possible to enable or disable HEV/PCV logon animation via menu or cvar "sm_hev_logon".
- [VGUI HUD] Fixed infinite incrementation of HEV LOGON variable.
- [VGUI HUD] Added HEV logon/boot up sequence images for all currently available resolutions.
- [VGUI HUD] Tweaked font/image colors and opacity.
- Other random fixes and improvements since last update.
This is partial list, if you want see full nerd friendly update log check: Github.com
NEW GAME MENU:
HL:U is now supporting chapter selection for Half-Life and Blue-Shift (other in WIP state). The chapter selection is working; including starting items and weapons after choosing a chapter. Also is now possible to change skill level, particles quality and some other options via Game Settings sub menu. The background map is temporary.
There are two versions of HEV boot up sequence now. The longer one; played only in Anomalous Materials chapter and the shorter one played everywhere else. There is also an option to skip the whole boot up sequence via new game menu or via "sm_hev_logon" CVAR. The crosshairs has been replaced with higher resolution and quality ones. The crosshairs are using HUD color from chosen game mode, but they change to red when you're out of ammo.
It's working now. It may not be 100% bug-less and ideal in it's current state (it's alpha after all), but I've completed the whole Blue-Shift campaign on a test run. From very start (Hazard Course) to the last credits on screen, LEGIT WAY, without any cheats or noclip shortcuts. So it's possible to fully complete BS campaign. The subtitles are also working for the whole damn expansion.
As you probably saw in the video; the human grunts are now using LD models from Opposing Force expansion. They work with clean HL1 and both expansions. You can see more variations there, also you might have noticed that c0a0 barney is now using armor-less version (correct with BS plot).
Open source development:
I've promised a surprise some weeks ago, so let's get into it. As you know; since the beginning the mod was (and still is and will be) developed as open source on GitHub page: Github.com But there wasn't any compiled build releases since the start. THIS CHANGES TODAY. With every new development update on moddb (including this one) the mod will be compiled and the current ALPHA/BETA/Whatever version will be released on moddb. So you people will be able to play it, test it, mod it and maybe help with mod development with model edits, custom maps etc. The current build is: 108 and it will be available on moddb to download AS SOON AS moddb staff authorizes the download (it might take up to 2 days).
Info about current version:
It's still alpha version so some of the stuff is disabled. For example translations are possible via text edit and manually replacing the fonts with correct charsets, but the "new" translation system is not ready yet. The new one will require custom launcher and it will be possible to change game language via that menu, instead of downloading translation as addons. Also there is full Closed Captions (In HL2 style) in the works; you know stuff like: [9MM Pistol Shoot], [Door opens], [Grunt dies] etc.
Dunno when it will be available. The mod development was slow since beginning and due to the recent real life events it might be even slower, but it's definitely not dead. Feel free to post suggestions, issue notes and other stuff in the comments below.