Sins of a Solar Empire is often described as a 4XRTS game, or a game that tried to merge the action and tactics packed gameplay of a Real time strategy game with the deep, complex, empire wide strategy of a 4X turn based game. It's up to debate whether Sins succeeded in this goal, but I think all can agree that of the 4Xs of "explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate", Sins is much more focused on the exterminate than on the others. This mod seeks to give more depth to the other 3Xs of the game by adding additional game elements or refining the existing ones to reward players who give more strategic thought to the non-combat side of the game. Combat will still be the center point of the game, but players will find that the non-combat options available will be much more rewarding. Spying, exploring, sabotage, diplomacy, culture, and economic development have all been added or changed in innovative new ways. Regardless of what you think Sins is, this is the 4XRTS it should have been.
The Enhanced 4X Mod version 1.8 for Rebellion version 1.82. Checksum is 35389348. Major changes include three new planets, four new skyboxes, rebalanced economics and strikecraft balance, and more. See the description for a full list.
- Readjusted resource balance to try to eliviate early game crystal shortage and make metal more useful.
- New Planet Types Added.
- Added four new skyboxes. All but three of the previous skyboxes have been removed. A new minimod will allow you to use all skyboxes, but this will increase RAM usage.
- Pirate ships now use standard armor types for their classes. This should make their expected counters work better, and make them easier overall.
- Bombers now use the same armor type as Fighters. This means antifighter frigates deal much more damage to them.
- Corvettes now have their own armor type. Antifighter frigates still deal the most to them, followed by capitalships, other corvettes and light frigates.
- Scouts now use the Medium (Light Frigate) Armor type, have increased acceleration and top speed, and increased hull/shield regeneration rates.
- Mine armor type has been switched to Very Light. This will help the main anti-mine units like Scouts, Fighters and Flak destroy them faster.
- Removed some of the uglier planet alternate textures to reduce memory usage.
- Fixed texture issues with a Volcanic planet and the Artifact planet.