Class Rework is a small mod for Hexen which aims to specialize and rebalance the original classes while adding new game mechanics.
v1.0 - First release. A small Hexen mod which aims to rework and rebalance the classes while also adding some new game mechanics.
You need a Zdoom compatible source port for this mod like GZDoom, Zandronum and
ZDoom itself among others. But not something like Chocolate which is designed to
be as vanilla as possible. Meaning many of the features used by this mod will
not be available.
Next you need to have HeXen's wad file "HEXEN.wad" in your source port's
directory. Next to GZDoom.exe.
Also the mod file "hxcr.pk3" should be put in the same directory.
Let's say for the sake of this explanation you have GZDoom. But this process is
same for any Doom engine source port.
First make a shortcut to GZDoom that should have a path like this:
Next make sure to make the source port know to run HeXen as your main game by
adding "-iwad hexen.wad" command to the path:
• G:\GZDoom\gzdoom.exe -iwad hexen.wad
Finally add the command "-file hxcr.pk3", your path should look like this:
• G:\GZDoom\gzdoom.exe -iwad hexen.wad -file hxcr.pk3
Click Ok and you are ready to run the mod.
• New UI.
• New graphics and sound effects.
• New ammo type: Stamina. Warrior and Cleric use it, it spends upon swinging a melee weapon (it doesn't have to hit anything) and regenerates upon standing still.
• New item: Monster Flask. Has 50% to spawn instead of a Quartz Flask. Replenishes 25 stamina points upon consumption.
• Mana still doesn't regenerate!
• Warrior now has 150 health and is almost entirely melee only.
• Weapons can be empowered with mana optionally with the alt-fire button. Like stamina the mana also spends upon swinging and doesn't have to hit anything.
• Spiked Gauntlets are now replaced with a Sword.
• Hammer is now melee only.
• Weapons have varying reach (range at which they can hit).
• Quietus can now be used without mana.
• Quietus now fires 3 missiles in an arc which leave behind a trail of fire before hitting a target.
• Serpent Staff is now replaced with a Magic Crossbow. Alt-fire will fire a scatter shot.
• Firestorm now leaves a fire that burns for a few seconds instead of a ring that explodes after a delay.
• Mage now has 50 health.
• Instead of Stamina the mage has a different new ammo type called Arcane Blood and it's used by his starting staff. Ammo can be replenished by hitting the alt-fire which will take 10 of your health and replenish 15 arcane blood.
• Forst Shards is now called Evil Spells and it now fires 3 missiles one after the other which are a lot more controllable than the shotgun like scatter shot it had originally. Alt-fire now fires a low damaging firebolt which is enough to shatter a frozen enemy, so you don't have to swap weapons to do so.
• Arc Of Death now fires a railgun-like shot which shoots little zaps on its sides as it travels.
• Bloodscourge now fires a single missile and has a significantly higher fire rate.