Release 7 is a major step for Red Alert history, as it marks the first time that the mod does not feature tiberium! What kind of differences does this have on how the mod plays? you will have to download and find out for yourself!
The brute strength and air power of the Soviets, or the speed, stealth, and intelligence of the Allies, who will be your pick?
The Soviets finally have both a Commando unit (Boris), and a proper artillery unit (V3 launcher), and the addition of drone warfare will have a much greater impact then you might think!
The Allies meanwhile finally have a powerful multi-role aircraft, never mind the fearful additions of both the Mirage tank, and the dreaded Prism tank!
There are more additions that I will leave you to discover for yourselves.
Ore Version 1.0
While the newly implemented Ore system has been tested extensively, you might still run into issues.
- When the Ore\Gem field runs low, there might be animation issues because the game engine scales the amount of time spent dropping off and processing Ore, depending on the amount of Ore dropped off.
- A Tiberium Wars bug means that upon placing a Refinery, it is possible for miner docking to be bugged for that Refinery, causing the miner to dock in weird positions (including facing the completely wrong direction). Additional refineries may not have the same issue.
- If any structure is placed anywhere near an area close to the miner dock end (dropping off Ore) or dock start (the position where the miner turns to reverse into the dock end position), the miner will not dock in the correct position, how far off it will be when docking varies, but it will never dock in the right position.
- Mixed Ore\Gem fields (specifically when the fields are placed on top of each other by 'clever' mappers), will probably cause issues with the visual display of Ore or Gems on the Allied miner.
I will work to lessen these issues in the future if possible.
Hints and Tips
- The APC and Phase transport have a drop modifier. This means that any infantry that exits from them receive a modifier that slows them down for a few seconds. This was done to reduce the frankly boring Engineer+APC opening moves that the Tiberian C&C series are famous for. Also it means that you have a few seconds to react (even if means selling a structure) to the nightmare Phase+Engineer or Phase+Tanya or Phase+Spy combinations.
- The British Sniper is the Allied garrison clearer (one unit at a time, if it is 3 squads of Conscripts you will be there for a while!).
- The Spy's 'Bribe' ability is by far the most useful feature (combined with being invisible!), however it is costly to use. To start you off, try rushing the AI on a small map, get your spy close to the AI refinery, and wait for at least a full AI harvester, and use the 'Bribe' ability on it, to claim it for your side!
- Enemy commando's, other spies... and the Soviet Dog, are unaffected by the 'Bribe' ability!
- Units and base defences that have a long pre-fire time, will struggle to effectively target a stationary Mirage tank (even while it is firing). It is recommended that you have a stealth detector nearby, to make targeting the Mirage tank easier!
- Use the Dog to reach far away garrisons, and to deny the enemy neutral Spikes, in the early game.
- The Hind Transport's Gunship upgrade rockets, do not home in on enemy targets, avoid targetting moving units with it.
- The Hind Transport Gunship (obviously) reloads in the air!
- If your Iron Curtain is up, it will attempt to assist a single War miner (whether from an allied Soviet team, or your own), by launching a single vehicle radius Iron Curtain!
- Do not forget that Repair drones can repair vehicles other then their parent vehicle, this includes any teammate that is allied to you. Regardless of whether they are Soviet or not!
Please use the forums if you want to help improve Red Alert history!
Special thanks to: