Call of Chernobyl is a free-play sandbox mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. : Call of Pripyat created by TeamEPIC. It features 32 explorable maps, reworked level design and level fixes, new original level, Trucks Cemetery, Full AI and A-Life overhaul, engine and script enhancements, Repeatable task system which bases itself on A-Life events, Customizable weather environments for every map as well as surges and psi-storms from AF3, Character creation which includes name, portrait and faction selection; Several optional modes such as Ironman mode, story mode and zombie survival mode, New achievements, rankings and reputation system, PDA leaderboard and enhanced PDA statistics, Companion system with keyboard issued commands, many optional side-features and community-made addons . Call of Chernobyl was player's choice Mod of the Year 9th place in 2015 and 1st place in 2016!

Forum Thread
CoC1.4.22 DX9 DX11 observation! (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Chernobyl : Forum : General Discussion : CoC1.4.22 DX9 DX11 observation! ) Locked
Thread Options
Feb 10 2017 Anchor

I made some interesting observation.
Directx9 has some kind of memory bug compared to Directx11 ore maybe its a Windows 10 problem!
I first noticed this after the game was constantly crashing at opening the main menu ingame and mostly level changing.
So I began some tests. Sys. Specs and options down below!!!
First of all, I know CoC has a 32 bit process memory limit of 3.5gigs but hear me out.
Second Please Test this on your system before commenting on this! Your results may differ, let me know OK.all maps 25 to 30 min. of running through the map, visiting crowded locations such as BAR, Skadovsk, rookie village ... and some fighting Mutants & NPCs
and then traveling to the next location

CoC1.4.22 Addons used!!!
STCoP Weapon Pack 2.8v.5.1
Outfit Addon 1.4.5
Enhanced Sunsets and Sunrises 1.06
Absolute Nature Redux 1.17
S.W.T.C. - Call of Chernobyl Edition 1.09
Call of Chernobyl HD Models Addon

Game Options for all tests:

Online exlusion z />populations factor Mutants = 0.5
populations factor Stalkers = 1.0
-noprefetch

• in Dx9
    gb Game use + Avrg FPS in crowded locations
    Zaton 3,0 -- 75
    Jupiter 3,6 -- 82 + crash
    Cordon 3,2 -- 70
    Rostock 3,3 -- 73
    Pripyat 3,7 -- 80 + crash
    Swamps 3,8 -- 105

Max 3,9 in total use gigabyte + crash

Options: Dx9 enhanced, Maxed @ 2560x1440p
except: AA = OFF
SSAO = Default
Sun rays = OFF
DoF = OFF
V-Sync = OFF

• in Dx11
    gb Game use + Avrg FPS in crowded locations
    Zaton 2,5 -- 71
    Jupiter 2,4 -- 73
    Cordon 2,5 -- 75
    Rostock 2,6 -- 81
    Pripyat 2,7 -- 69
    Swamps 2,8 -- 74

Max 3,2 gigabyte in total use

Options: Dx11 enhanced, Maxed @ 2560x1440p
except: AA = OFF
SSAO = Default
Sun rays = OFF
DoF = OFF
Tesselation = OFF
V-Sync = OFF

in conclusion:

This was just a quick test, Im going to test more this weekend!

on my setup DX11 runs mutch more stable! Loadtimes are a bit longer but thats no big deal.
the ownly crashes that are stil very annoying (but not that often) in DX11 are the "Too many posts were made to a semaphore"
but I dont know whats causing them. If someone can confirm this ore has found something diffrent, Please let me know!!!!

System Specs:
MSI GT80
Windows 10 64bit on SSD Raid0
Core i7 4720HQ @3.5
16gigs Ram
GTX 980m with 8gigs VRam on Latest Driver 378.49
Rog Swift G-sync @ 2560x1440p 144hz

i know this is hard to replicate, CoC is a very dynamic game, but i think dx9 uses more sys. memory for some reason?

Feb 15 2017 Anchor

DX11 will give the illusion it runs smoother, that is because GSC did a half ass job implementing it and many shaders don't even work right or were never even implemented. Compare a screenshot side-by-side with DX9 enhanced with DX11, you'll see that DX9 and DX10 are graphically superior.

Edited by: Alundaio

Kahvana
Kahvana Scavenger
Feb 17 2017 Anchor

Alundaio any chance we'll get the missing shaders and fixes for the broken ones in DX11?.

Feb 17 2017 Anchor

No, I'm not a software engineer.

Mar 19 2017 Anchor

You're using VERY high-quality model replacements (ignoring STCoP's certain hefty models) id suggest removing that if you cant stand the loading times, i had luck with CoC in Dx9 before i upgraded to a more powerful system using Kingo64's CoP shaders, perhaps even some luck for you with the dx11s? i feel it may have been a freak luck incident, as with many of my... lol "breakthroughs" with stalker modding

Sorry, i mean "Call of Chernobyl HD Models Addon" this could have a hand in your issues, 32-bit RAM limits are easily hit with your setup, best we can scry from alun is magical 64-bit softwizards

Kahvana
Kahvana Scavenger
Mar 19 2017 Anchor

TwistX " best we can scry from alun is magical 64-bit softwizards" -> I am not sure if you ment if alum would make a 64-bits version of XRAY-16X, but I if you do then you can't be more wrong. He mentioned it ealier that it would be oen hell of a job an most likely wont do it in te future.

source: comments section

Mar 28 2017 Anchor

Kahvana Yeah ive seen that comment/post about 64-bit, it'd be nice, but there probably isnt much to gain from, ive always assumed CoP was 64-bit because of the improved performance and texture quality on a 64-bit rig (try setting texture_lod to 0 in vanilla CoP on a 32-bit OS, it wont let ya

what i meant by that was alundaio scouring the interwebz to find people who can assist a transition into it, but that seems more far-fetched than alun doing it himself lol

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.