So they've been a few changes to the site which you may have seen lately. Firstly if you missed the news games, mods can now be labelled as early access. This is to help content show up in the release section and allow reviews, whilst also highlighting the fact that their work is not yet complete. It's step 1 in our release functionality overhaul.
I've also added the ability to embed tweets directly into posts and comments. To do it just put your tweets URL into a new line (with no spaces or punctuation around it). If people like this change i'm contemplating allowing images, videos from our sites + youtube to be embedded in the same way.
Finally and the reason for this post is the change we've done to descriptions on profiles where you must now click "read more" to see it fully. It seems a lot of developers and power users are unhappy with the change which is entirely understandable. The problem we have however is description consistency. Some descriptions are ultra long, whilst others are short. This leads to confusion for new users who aren't aware that to get to the pages content (gallery, downloads, comments etc) they need to scroll through the description. The read more change allows us to address this by keeping the description there but hidden, which makes profile pages far more consistent. But we want everyone to like the change so I wanted to discuss the options available:
- Keep descriptions the way they were, long and inconsistent
- The new change is good, clicking read more
- The new change is good, but if I click "read more" the site should remember that and do it on every page I visit
- Move the description so that it is on the left, and doesn't push down the entire page, demo:
- Make it so the first 400px of the description is shown (so short ones still fit), then there is a read more button, demo:
Tell me which options you like best and why? Also worth noting our Github features / bugfixes board is public for all to contribute to.