It's funny that I dish out abuse to WoW and JRPG players because their game formula is very much akin to constantly adding 1 on Calculator. Grinding is tedious. This is sad, because I've got that nagging lust for player progression which can only be satisfied by levelling up. Sad, in a way.
One of my favorite mutator's for Epic's UT2k4 is the UTRPG mod, which lets you level up and spend points in raising abilities such as health, rate of fire, etc. The system is hilariously broken but still fun as all get-out.
Which is why I want to make a mod for Half-Life 2 which brings to RPG-style level progression into a singleplayer (to start with) shooter. I will be listing anything I think is cool below, which may or may not see the light of day, as I bite off more than I can likely chew, and start work on this project.
// Quick rundown //
Title: HL2RPG (working title, lol)
- Initially single-player, hopefully Co-op and Versus modes included down the track
- Use half-life 2 weapons, later adding more in / replacing originals
- Uses an RPG-style "experience points" system, to determine character growth.
- Killing enemies and completing objectives nets the player experience to level up (100 xp = 1 level) - Upon level-up, the player is given skill points to spend in the level-up menu (similar to Mass Effect?)
- Externalize the "AUX POWER" function from half-life 2, creating 2 new values - Suit power and Stamina
- The player has a number of attributes to improve (Vitality, Agility, Strength, Skill, Energy) which improve certain aspects by default and unlock new abilities
- Agility controls player speed, jump height. Unlocks wall-jump, double-jump, super-jump, etc
- Strength controls ammo carry amount, melee damage. Unlocks door bash,
- Vitality controls health and stamina. Unlocks regeneration, adrenaline burst
- Skill controls accuracy, weapon reload/animate speed, recoil. Unlocks magazine packer (more bullets per mag), Sniper Shot
- Energy controls Suit Power. Unlocks Bullet-Time, perhaps some psychic attacks?
- Game is set in the same universe as Half-Life 2. Perhaps another city?