Phase 1: Nominations
From December 20th to January 5th every indie game and mod on the site has a voting booth activated in their profile. It is now up to you, to find your favorites, play them and vote for them - so we can narrow thousands of contenders down to the players choice top 100...
Phase 2: Top 100
On January 6th the Top 100 mods and indie games you voted for in phase 1 will be announced and a second round of voting will commence until January 20th. Again, it is up to you, to vote for your top 3 in this list - so we can narrow the top 100 down to a handful of winners...
Phase 3: Winners Showcase
Early February after thousands of votes have been tallied, we shall be announcing the 2009 Players and Editors Choice winners. These indie games and mods will be showcased in an exclusive video presentation and editorial writeup. Download links will be given so you can play the years best.
Picking a winner from 6,100 mods and 740 indie games all of which are built on different game engines, platforms, genres and themes is no easy feat. We know everyones tastes differ and we can only recognize the efforts of so many. So if you want your favorite to win remember EVERY VOTE COUNTS (last years results were incredibly tight). We've got graphics and embed code to help you get your friends and fellow gamers voting and playing the great mods and indie games on offer. The award categories this year are:
- Top 10 Mods
- Top 5 Upcoming Mods
- Top 5 Indie Games
- Top 5 Upcoming Indie Games
- Best Original Art Direction
- Best Upcoming Mod
- Best Upcoming Indie Game
- Best Indie Game
- Best Single Player Mod
- Best Multiplayer Mod
The ultimate honor is claiming the 2009 Mod of the Year Trophy and joining an elusive lineup of past winners. Last years winner Project Reality continues to grow in popularity and has big plans ahead. Winners before that including Garrys Mod, Red Orchestra and Natural Selection are now commerical success stories. In addition to the recognition being a MOTY finalist will bring your project, this year thanks to a lineup of sponsors, we have an assortment of prizes to give away. We've got DVDs, magazines, hosting, game servers and other things to help your team develop the best game they can.
The following are basic rules which apply to all participating teams. Read on for the full legal terms.
"start voting and may the best mod win!"
- All active mods and indie games will show a "voting area" in their profile.
- The top 100 is determined by "quality" of vote. For example a vote from a long time member is worth more than a new members vote which is again worth more than a guests vote.
- In phase 1, all visitors of Mod DB can nominate as many mods as they want to appear in the top 100.
- In phase 2, all visitors get to pick their top 3 mods and games from the top 100 list.
- Any mod / indie game can make the top 100 except for mods / indie games released in previous years which have not released a significant update in 2009.
- No mod / indie game can win in the same category twice. Eg. a mod cannot win "best unreleased" two years in a row, only a honorable mention will be given in this situation.
- Exceptions to the above rule maybe granted on request by the Mod DB. Eg. if your mod moves from v1 to v2 and it is a total overhaul, we reserve the right to make it eligible again.
- Any attempt to game the system and falsely inflate your vote count will result in an immediate disqualification. We will be analyzing all votes and will contact mod teams if we detect suspicious activity.
- Prize distribution will be controlled by Mod DB. All decisions in this regard are final.
- All mod / indie games must have an active contact as the profile leader who updates their profile on a regular basis to be eligible.
- Read on for the full legal terms.