Xenonauts is a PC strategy game due for release in 2013. It is a spiritual successor to the classic X-Com strategy games, putting the player in control of an organisation defending the world from an alien invasion. It is a grand strategy game that involves building and managing bases across the entire planet, controlling jet fighters and ground troops in battle against the alien forces, then researching captured extraterrestrial technology to unlock their secrets! Linux version uses WINE.
This mod changes the ground combat panel to have the time units bar as the first one.
The reasons why time units should be first:
- Time units are the most important unit during the ground combat, more important than health. The ground combat is even sometimes described as TU-based. Almost every action changes it, so it is the most often checked value. It is therefore natural to have the most important value as the topmost, instead of in the middle.
- The game always lists time units first everywhere else, be it in the soldier's inventory during the ground combat, or in the soldier equipment tab in the base. This makes the ground combat panel consistent with the rest of the game.
How to install:
- Install the mod using launcher's Modding Tools and exit the launcher (or manually unzip into assets/mods/timeunitsfirst/ ).
- (On Unix-like systems, or if you know how to do it) Apply the patch from assets/patches/timeunitsfirst/ .
- (On Windows) Go to assets/mods/timeunitsfirst/ and run timeunitsfirst.bat . It will patch necessary game files and create backups of them with the .timeunitsfirstbackup extension.
Update to work with X:CE installed using launcher's Modding Tools.
Fix a crash on smaller resolutions.
Added a workaround for the game positioning the TU bar far too left (the bug exists even in the unmodified game, but making the TU bar the topmost makes this more visible, so the mod tries to mitigate this by positioning the bar intentionally a bit to the right).
The TU bars are sometimes mis-aligned.
This is a bug in the progressbar drawing, not in the mod. It has been fixed in X:CE 0.25 . You can try to edit assets/scripts/combatguiexport(_large).lua and decrease widths of xxx_hpbar items by one as a workaround (and it will only mitigate the mis-alignment, not fix it completely).
Is this mod compatible with mod XYZ?
The mod uses a text patch utility that is quite intelligent about merging changes even to files that have been modified. Unless something changes exactly the same items as this mod does (which is unlikely) , there should be no problem. Since other mods seem to work by replacing files as a whole rather than patching them, it is recommended to install this mod as the last one.
How do I update this mod if the game updates? Is this mod compatible with game version x.y?
As said above, the mod is good at patching files even if they have changed slightly, so if the game updates files relevant for this mod and overwrites the changes, it should be enough to apply the patch again (and possibly revert it first). If there will be any problems, the patch utility will report problems while applying the changes (you may need to run the patching from a command shell to see the error messages). Generally, if anything else fails, resetting your game to its original state (e.g. verifying game files in Steam) and applying the patch again should work.