Welcome to a world that knows no mercy — none is received, and none is given. Only physical and mental agility can keep you alive, though they are by no means a guarantor of life. You play the role of Geralt, an already legendary monster-slayer — but this, my friend, is not a gift, and is certainly not given lightly. “The Witcher” is an immense computer game. Within its realm, you will have to assume the burden of choice. And this burden of choice, as light as it may appear, is the very thing that will both permit you to wield influence over the fate of the world, as well as get you slain prematurely.
The 1.3 cumulative patch for downloaded versions of The Witcher. This update includes bug and localization fixes.
Please download Microsoft hotfix from the following location when playing the game on 32-bit Windows Vista: Support.microsoft.com
5. New features and fixes
The Module Edition Upgrade package updates the Witcher to version 1.3 and adds the functionality of running a user editable module. The sample module has been provided, offering a couple of hours of additional gameplay, which can be altered by the user using the Module Editor. The New Game main menu offers two options now: starting the regular game, or starting new adventure (new module).
WARNING! The Witcher 1.3 Module Edition is only partially compatible with saved games from previous versions (1.0, 1.1a, 1.2). Loading older saved games is still possible but may lead to unexpected behavior and other problems. The players are advised to restart the game from the beginning using The Witcher 1.3 Module Edition.
Gameplay and text bugs fixed:
- Fixed various localization issues for English, French, Italian, German and Spanish languages,
- Fixed combat abilities 'Patinado' and 'Sinister' issue when proper modifier has not been applied correctly under given circumstances,
Code bugs fixed:
- Fixed a few random crashes in Prologue and Chapters 1, 2 and 3,
- Fixed crash in Act 4 when running near exit to lakeside from village to inn,
- Fixed game crash when using Alt+Tab, especially while loading location or game,
- Fixed dialogue camera shots on standing up characters,
- Fixed issue with 'Game Paused' text disappear occasionally after exiting game panel when game was paused during opening of a panel,
- Fixed issue with disabled attack when player holds block for a long time and then immediately tries to strike,
- Fixed various issues regarding mousedrive steering and pathfinding,
- Fixed weapon enchants not updating properly when switching weapon slots or dropping weapon from inventory panel,
- Fixed issue with Geralt not attacking immobile creatures or not approaching objects from a certain distance,
- Fixed issue with blocking middle mouse button during some cutscenes and when fistfight starts,
- Fixed occasional issues with sheathing weapon after combat and on Alt+Tab,
- Fixed issue with breaking meditation mode if Geralt is attacked when entering meditation,
6. Known Issues
1) The Witcher may exhaust virtual address space when running on 32-bit Windows Vista. Microsoft has released a hotfix that addresses this problem. Please download the hotfix from the following location when playing the game on 32-bit Windows Vista: Support.microsoft.com
2) The following video cards are not currently supported: S3 Colt, S3 S27, S3 S8, Intel GMA 950 based cards. Audio: Hercules Muse 5.1 (C-Media Audio).
3) The following processors are out of range: AMD Duron Series, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ through 3200+, AMD Sempron 2400+ through 2800+, and the INTEL Celeron Series.
4) Some bugfixes mentioned above will work only if a game is restarted from scratch, for some others a corresponding act needs to be restarted.
5) The Witcher supports only Creative EAX 4.0. If your soundcard uses other EAX version, use “Environmental Effects” option instead.
6) The Digital Distribution version of The Witcher (v.1.3) is not supported by Vista 64-bit systems.