In The Arcane Relics™, you are cast into the land of Terradim – a land full of wonder, mystery, & great danger. Assume the role of any type of character you wish in this wacky fantasy-medieval sandbox experience, featuring 4-player split-screen mayhem!
The game features strategic combat where hits can be placed on specific limbs, crippling them, and characters are limited in action via stamina. Armor pieces also slow down the wearer and only protect the limbs that they cover.
The end goal of this project is to make a dynamic fantasy sandbox with hand-crafted environments emphasizing co-op. Of course, the game will be playable in single player as well. The game is currently in a pre-alpha state, very early on, but playable.
Greetings this May. Here's some progress-
Jon has spent some time on AI, thus:
Now, putting aside the Castle "temporarily," I have begun work on a Lava cave! There’s a method to this madness I assure you. Here’s a peek:
This is a new area, and will not be replacing the Water Cave.
Jon has started the possibility of hitting multiple targets with one swing. We have wanted to have Strength, along with larger weapons, to allow for sweeping through multiple opponents, or at least smaller ones like bats, with one swing for a while. This is a step towards that. In the process, he may have fixed the bug where weapons could remain active if an attack animation was interrupted as well.
Jon's also dabbled in potions, continuing work to make them more modular. Previously, we would have to make 3 new prefabs for each potion type we would want to add. This was taking too long… Now, we only need to make one prefab per type. We've since added some new potion types including a Sleep Potion.
Also, he has been experimenting with coloring the potions programmatically based on their elemental compositions.
If you're still awake, this will put you to sleep:
Previously, setting up any random selections, such as items in containers, has used a pretty simple setup. We wanted to expand its capabilities and have more control over what could be done. There were things such as nesting loot tables or modifying a loot table result (varying gold and bolt amounts) which weren’t possible. We also wanted to utilize random seeds so, for example, the same loot/enemy rolls could appear, if desired (good for testing). It’s coming along.
It is nice to see more than a few pieces of gold appear in a container, that’s for sure.
Another semi-related task has been shifting various data into external XML files, using a more data-driven design. The new item loot tables utilize this setup.
This is a noticeable step towards being able to customize various aspects of the game. This can also help reduce our build times, as certain tweaks can be made externally without having to rebuild in Unity. This is a slow but beneficial process.
A couple more things before farewell. We wanted to share some useful Unity discoveries we’ve made during these past couple of months, for other devs out there:
We have updated the project to v2018 of Unity. We have, and are, spending time to resolve issues that have appeared in the new version, but are excited about some of the new features! Overall, the transition has been smoother than previous version updates.
Lastly, we have been working on a side-project as well. Needless to say, it has taken some time away from TAR, but is nearly finished. It has certainly taught us some things and has helped us with clarifying some design decisions for TAR. We will reveal it, once it’s ready!
1st 2018 Dev update: preview of preliminary castle, new shaders/graphics, scene transitions, an introduction to fatigue, & more!
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
2nd demo release to the public! (Pre-Alpha, v0.1, 32-bit)
2nd demo release to the public! (Pre-Alpha, v0.1, 64-bit)
2nd demo release to the public! (Pre-Alpha, v0.1, Universal)
2nd demo release to the public! (Pre-Alpha, v0.1, Universal), this one's untested, therefore experimental.
First demo released to the public! (Pre-Alpha, v0.0.22.2)
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.