I'm stunned and happy that the game got such a big response here! Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
I'm working on Version 0.71 which will include a server list, so this workaround won't be needed anymore. It's going to be released within the next week, I hope.
In the meantime, use these steps to open your own server. If you want to invite friends, make sure you do step 1, otherwise it can be omited.
How to open and join a private server in Survive! 0.7
Opening the server
- Only if you want to play with friends over the Internet:
Forward port 2305 from your router to the PC you want to host the server on. This is only needed if your Internet connection goes through a router. Most people are. If you don't know how to configure your router, this page might help: wikihow.com/Do-Port-Forwarding
- Get to know you IP-adress, you can do so by visiting a page like whatismyip.com . Share it with everyone who you want to join your server.
- Go into the game folder, right-click "survive.exe" and create a shortcut to it.
- Right-click on the newly created shortcut and select "Properties".
- Under "Target", add ' -diag -server' to the end of the line, after the closing quotation marks.
- Start the server with your shortcut. Make sure you allow the game to pass your firewall if you have any.
Joining the server
- Open the file "options.cfg" from the game folder with a text-editor like notepad. It should look similar to this this:
Playername;schokokeks.no-ip.com;2.881 1 1680 1050 2 1 2 0 0 0 100
- Locate the server adress. It starts after the second semicolon, and its standard setting is schokokeks.no-ip.com . Replace it with the IP of the server you want to join. If you want to join a server running local on very own PC, use the IP-adress 127.0.0.1 . Make sure you delete no semicolon! Example for the IP-adress 127.0.0.1:
Playername;127.0.0.1;2.881 1 1680 1050 2 1 2 0 0 0 100
- Save the file, close the editor and start the game. By clicking "Join Online Server", you will now join the private server you just entered into "options.cfg" .
If the connection fails or nothing happens, the server is either offline, you have the wrong IP-adress or the creator of the server didn't set up port forwarding properly.
If you want to revert your changes and connect to the official server again, enter schokokeks.no-ip.com as server adress.If you have any questions, feel free to ask!