Its been a while since a modding tool for EaW/FoC was created. I think the last one is the amazing .meg editor from Mike.nl.
I realized that this game although its many years old has a huge community represented through mods.
Creating a mod takes time, a lot of time, i can tell you ! Besides the mayor mods that are leading this community it's my personal conviction that nearly every person thought about making his/her own mod. Creating something new feels great and at the end of the day you are very proud that one for example added a new Unit to vanilla FoC. By looking into comments, PMs, of forums topics it turns out that many people tried their luck but actually have no idea how to add their favorite unit into the game. What you need is a tool thats simple, easy to understand and no need to know what an XML file is. All this key features are in my new Unit Editor
Let me tell you a bit about it:
At the moment it is a pre-alpha stage so NO download for it yet. As soon i decide its in Beta-state it will be free to download.
- Written in C#. C# is the perfect language for developing complex but easy to use Windows applications
- What do you need: Windows (32 or 64bit) and .NetFramework 4.0 and a few MB of free space
- What you do not need: Any experience with XML or even general modding
- Why? Because the Tool has a modern, simple but powerful User Interface. Everything is explained. If you do not know what something means just hold you mouse over it and get some infos
- So this tool is for beginners only ? Absolutely NO! This tool makes coding much more easier for every who uses it. Although its simple it is as powerful as editing the code in an editor. This tool will have some features that makes life for modders much easier.
- So What are the Key-Features ?
- No need to install, just run it.
- Simple and structured GUI
- Create new Units of all types
- Simple value input via textboxes, drop-down-menu, checkboxes
- Intelligent typing: some values do not allow some chars like "?=%§. The tool will inform you that you used an invalid char. Also XML does not like spaces between words. But there is no need write your values_like_this the tool will do this for you
- Detailed Error Messages with Graphical Illusion why and where something went wrong.
- Use templates of existing Units and only change the values you need
- Save your projects and open them on a other day.
- Import existing XML and change the Unit directly in the tool.
- Open tools like Alo-Viewer, String-Editor, Meg-Edtor directly from the tool.
- Create Squadrons, Companies, DeathClones, Hardpoints.
- Wizzard to create a Mod (for beginners)
- Planned for the future: Live-View (see the generated code inside the application and edit there also), Linked into Mods (Auto-Complete, Search for Units (can be used for variant_of tag))
- Support for Structures
- Create new GCs
- More features may be added
I hope you like the concept i planed and i hope i have this done in near future. If you have any suggestions let me know.
Best Greets Anakin