In 1986, the world's worst nuclear disaster occurred at the Chernobyl power station. Soviet authorities established a 30km 'Exclusion Zone' around this nuclear wasteland, but in 2006 a second explosion rocked the stricken reactor, obliterating all living things and causing the Zone's boundaries to ripple outwards. From this epicenter came waves of mutated creatures, deadly radiation, and a strange, anomalous energy. The Zone was cordoned off by the military, who would shoot on sight anyone foolish enough to brave the horrors within.
This new update introduces a dozen (12 exactly) new base model weapons (not counting multiple "uniques"). Play, say, three differently looking Abakans in the same game (no need to switch textures). They also have their own specs and all look different.
READ ME - INSTALL DIRECTIONS
Simply extract the zipped file into your main S.T.A.L.K.E.R. folder (usually X: -> Program Files -> THQ -> S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl). If you've never played any STALKER mods you may need to adjust one line in fsgame.ltx (change false to true; use Notepad) to look like this:
$game_data$ = true| true| $fs_root$| gamedata\
[Suggestion: If you already have a working gamedata folder, rename it or move it elsewhere and then install this mod in a clean/empty gamedata folder – a likelihood that something will go wrong when casually topping any one mod with another (without carefully merging files) is pretty high]
You need to start a new game!
NEW IN THIS 1.2 UPDATE: Great news in this update for those who wanted more different looking weapons in the game -- I created a dozen (12 exactly) new base model weapons (not counting multiple "uniques"). Play, say, three differently looking Abakans in the same game (no need to switch textures). They also have their own specs and all look different. The mod now features:
- 3 different AN-94 Abakan visuals and features + "uniques" (a "unique" is a derivate from the base weapon model that shares its visual appearance wit the base)
- 3 AKS-74Us visuals + uniques (Ghost's AKS-74U only at the 1st trader)
- 3 Groza OC-14s visuals + uniques
- 3 AK-74 visuals + uniques
- 2 Dragunov SVD visuals + uniques
- 2 Dragunov SVU visuals
- 2 TOZ-34 visuals
- 2 VSS Vintorez visuals
Also, a minor adjustment with giving some NPCs in Cordon and Garbage maps a bit better weapons (say, many NPCs in Cordon will have TOZ-34s, or military at the train bridge will have some Abakans, etc) to balance the mod better.
About Basix Mod:
This mod is not striving for an enhanced version of realism in terms of making the play more difficult ... tho in reality nobody would send you out to "save the world" with a Makarov and a knife while they are sitting on tons of better weapons.
Basix Mod, like the name would imply, covers most requested modification features and makes your first encounter with STALKER game a bit easier (so it's a very good mod for beginners – try it on the Novice difficulty) by equipping you well before the main mission. It’s also good for others who want to play it on a more difficult level or experience the game from a somewhat different angle.
Basix Mod appears simple (like it should be), but underneath packs some nice game enhancements:
EQUIP ME FOR THE MISSION MOD -- Simply put, it's in the interest of the Zone and wider community that you succeed in your main mission and they don't send you out to "save the world" with a knife and a lousy pistol, but rather equip you with weapons and armor that will make your success more likely. For example, as soon as you accept the first mission from Sidorovich and meet Wolf, you are given supplies and equipment to successfully face more numerous enemy. After the completion of that first mission (you proved yourself worthy … yay!), you report back to Wolf and are given additional weapons and ammo. In summary, you will get the following things:
From Sidorovich/Wolf (you need to report to Wolf in order to get these items):
- you will start with Beretta with ammo, modified TOZ-34 with ammo, and Hunter’s armor (you can sell your jacket right away … and that TOZ will become your best buddy pretty fast)
- upon succeeding in your first mission and before going back to Sidorovich report to Wolf and he will give you Fang’s AKS-74U, a high precision weapon that uses commonly available pistol ammo plus some additional ammo (take care of this weapon since it’s not available from any trader and it can only be given to you for the purpose of accomplishing the main mission). NEW: in this update you'll definitively receive Fang's AKS, regardless of whether you accomplished the mission by yourself or with the help of Petruha's crew.
- NEW: The word is that somebody was bringing a nice piece of weaponry to Sidorovich but didn't make it all the way back. Watch your interaction with Fox -- in short, you may end up with the "Zonemaster" (a unique AN-94 with integrated scope, nade launcher and suppressor) for saving his life. No extra ammo with it except 30 rounds in the clip, so loot, sell and buy more ammo ... or just keep it till later when that type of ammo is more available. NOTE: This is your only chance to get this weapon -- it's not available at any traders
From Barkeep (you’ll receive these items from Barkeep upon accepting to continue the main mission):
- A high precision Groza Specialist Edition that uses commonly available and cheaper AK ammo. NEW: No extra ammo; no Stalker Suit (since you already have a slightly better suit). However, you'll receive a monetary compensation -- the reward for your superb job in Agro and bringing back the documents has been increased from 5,000 RU to 20,000 RU to compensate for the suit and some extra to buy ammo if needed. Also, with this update, Groza Specialist Edition is not available any longer from any trader ... so take care of it.
From Sakharov (you’ll receive the items after turning in Kruglov's flash drive which shows your commitment to continue the main mission):
- a rapid single shot and high accuracy Strelok’s SVD suppressed sniper plus ammo (take care of this weapon since it’s not available from any trader and it can only be given to you for the purpose of accomplishing the main mission). NOTE: Whether you'll get Strelok's SVD or not depends on how things with Kruglov go. In general, if you receive the Scientist's Outfit, you'll also receive the SVD. However, even if you are not lucky enough with Kruglov and don't receive the SVD, you are already well-armed to handle Yantar stuff.
SKINFLINT MOD – you can sell unlimited amounts to the Freedom Base Trader (GSC default limit was set at 5,000 RU)
STALKER FRIENDSHIP MOD -- other Stalkers/Loners are (naturally) your friends. It’s nice to have lots of “green” around you. Say, if you kill a Duty guy around Bar, Stalkers/Loners don't try to help Duty by going after you -- they remain your friends. Avoid taking quests that involve killing them and help them whenever you can. Also, mild friendship with traders (you get somewhat better prices when buying and selling) and scientists. Tip: Sometimes (in this case, the 3 guys robbing that 1 guy near the garbage) the mod will deviate from the story and all 4 guys will be your friends and all 4 are "loners" (and not 3 bandits and 1 loner as in the GSC story) -- avoid getting involved since obviously they have problems among themselves and not with you. If they appear to be shooting towards you, it's more likely that they are shooting somebody or something behind you. In any case, you won't make a mistake by moving directly towards Bes and leaving them to settle their dispute on their own.
TAKE WEAPONS INSIDE MOD ( “kill 'em all but 3”) – a silly lil mod that lets you take your weapons inside the “no weapons” areas. In a practical sense that’s mostly Bar … so if Snitch is really getting on your nerves one day you may just snap and decide that he’s too annoying to live … lol. If you decide to use it, use it when your relationship with Duty is already messed up and you don’t have much to lose by “clearing” annoyances in the Bar. IMPORTANT: DO NOT KILL Sidorovich, Sakharov, and Barkeep! Sidorovich (the first trader), Barkeep, and Sakharov (Yantar Mobile Lab) are protected and important NPCs (and only these 3). They are the relaying points for the game story and if they are killed the game will either immediately crash or if you edit their immunities it will crash at the point their input is required by the story. Everybody else tho is a fair game. Good hunting, STALKER!
VEHICLE MOD -- with this update you can use select vehicles to drive around the zone via tampoux' Vehicle Enhanced. In some maps (like from Garbage to Agro) you can also drive through the next level loading point and still be in the vehicle on the "other side". HOW TO: You need to write (or copy and paste) the following lines in "user.ltx" file:
bind cam_1 kF1
bind cam_2 kF2
bind cam_3 kF3
bind turn_engine kJ
Note that some users may have 2 "user.ltx" files, one in Shared Documents and one in the game's root directory. Change both files if you do. Also note that some users (after changing the user.ltx) will have to enter each line in console in order to activate these binds. It seems that after using the console first few times you won't need the console any longer and your driving keys are ready. To enter and exit the vehicle press your "use" key (usually "F"). Start the engine by pressing "J" (press again to turn off the engine). Drive with your usual movement keys (usually "WASD") and stop the vehicle with the "SPACEBAR". You can also shoot while driving. Note that not all vehicles are driveable.
NEW: WEAPONS EXPANSION MOD -- 12 new base weapons models added to the game.
OTHER FEATURES: all weapons and armor are non-degradable and tasks need to be completed within 2 weeks/14 days (instead of 1 day). Carry weight is 200. All weapons, armor, etc. skins made either by myself or are game defaults except as credited below. Integrates some of my previous mods and weapons/armor skins (Strelok's SVD, Fang's AKS-74Us) in a slightly adjusted form.
SUMMARY OF NEW STUFF IN THIS UPDATE:
- drive vehicles around the zone via tampoux' Vehicle Enhanced
- you can carry/drag things (boxes, crates, etc.) around if needed (for example, if you are not sure you killed all entities before entering the last room in X18 lab, it's useful to drag some boxes and block the door from closing). Done via save's CarryMod
- updated game/hud interface via pseudoant's hud
- included in this update is also a previous fix for the game freeze that was happening in v.1.0 when trying to talk to Gen Voronin (Duty)
- added a new AN-94 skin and new AN-94-based weapon (exclusive weapon that can only be given to you)
- borderless PDA -- enabling your peripheral vision to spot incoming traffic (in many cases you can also spot movement directly in front of you through the small transparent space between PDA's left and right side)
- reconfigured the gameplay to the extent that you now certainly get Fang's AKS-74U from Wolf (no need to go alone to fight bandits in your first mission).
- all "mission weapons" (weapons that are given to you for the main mission) are now exclusive and can't be bought at any traders. This also includes the new AN-94 "Zonemaster"
- and ... a bunch of minor enhancements
CREDITS: This mod also integrates either modified or unchanged mods developed by others:
- Realism Graphic Mod 2.0 by edomae (nice lighting and shadows enhancements)
- Traders Mod 1.1 by Balnazzar (traders have stuff ... lots of it)
- Hud & Blood Mod 1.3 by pseudoant (bloody gruesome scene ... lol)
- Stalkers Are Not Blind 0.95 by Red75 (helps NPCs avoid anomalies … be very patient with Kruglov in the tunnel between Wild Territories and Yantar)
- Float32 Shaders 1.5157a (including ATi shadow fix) by Cameron Sneed (aka jjwalker) – a slightly older version to avoid “green blood” or “no blood” on Nvidia and some ATi
- GhillieSuit, SVD and SVU skins from GhillieSuit_Svd_v1.2 by giv_em_hell (an awesome suit and a pro camo job)
- rain texture from STALKER Skies by Cambragol (looks more like a real rain)
- CarryMod 2.5 by save (use Shift+F instead of a forklift to move/drag stuff around)
- Vehicle Enhanced 1.0 (patched) by tampoux (drive!, no license required)
THANKS: Thanks to all users and modders at stalkerfiles.com for a great and warm reception of this mod's initial release. Hopefully, this feature-rich update won't disappoint you either :)
Hope you enjoy!