James Sunderland, who enters the town after receiving a letter written by his deceased wife, saying she is waiting for him in their "special place" in Silent Hill. Joined by Maria, who strongly resembles her, he searches for her and discovers the truth about her death. Silent Hill 2 uses a third-person view and gameplay places a greater emphasis on finding items and solving riddles than combat. Psychological aspects such as the gradual disappearance of Mary's letter were added to the game. More humanoid than their counterparts in the preceding game, some of the monsters were designed as a reflection of James' subconscious. Real-life references to history, films and literary works are found throughout this world as they things James is familiar with.
This patch for the PC version of Silent Hill 2 will fix some sound looping problems while playing the game. Patch if you are experiencing this.
ie: Silent Hill 2 Modern Compatibility Fix.exe
What it does?
- Copies the fixed exe over the original
- Runs the resolution patcher
- Applies an affinity (& 640x480 mode) fix, this can be uninstalled from "Program and Features" ("Add/Remove Programs" in XP) later, it's called "Silent Hill 2 Processor Affinity Fix", for example after you uninstall the game you may want to uninstall this too.
- Auto sets the game to 640x480 (which is actually the resolution you have selected eg 1920x1080) and graphics settings turned to the maximum (minus the noise filter)
- Applies my AA fix in case you want to play with AA. If you don't plan to, no reason to enable it, as the hack causes a few glitches (still 90% of the game looks fine, and really.. AA is a must with this game..)
- Dunno if it works for everyone, eg if one has UAC enabled (I don't). Hopefully people will test it and report back.
- On my setup sometimes sh2pc.exe hangs at startup (I just have to ctrl+alt+del open the task manager and kill sh2pc.exe and then I can launch it again hoping it works this time). The reason I'm writing this is that if the game crashes it will launch with the graphics settings turned down. So you might want to raise them again (edit: alternatively you can make settings.ini read only) as my patch cannot fix this crashing issue.
1. Install Silent Hill 2 and (optional) patch it with the soundfix in this download (this might be superfluous, as the fixed .exe below may overwrite the changes. I personally still do it just to be sure).
2. Download Squizzy's Respatcher and use the included fixed .exe of sh2pc.exe included in the archive (unfortunately the patcher does not work with the original .exe)
3. Run the patcher and select the desired resolution (Keep in mind: If SH2's original resolution is not set to 640x480 as it normally is, the Respatcher won't change anything).
4. drop the local.fix (angular graphics fix) it into your Silent Hill 2 folder (this will enable your Nvidia/AMD override of AA without interrupting lens flare and filters)
Now you can either go with either of these two options to make sure that the audio doesn't skip or that the game doesn't crash:
5. Option A: Use this compiled exe (affinity shortuct) to start Silent Hill 2 (put it into your SH2 folder) and Skip Option B.
Option B: Run Silent Hill 2 and Alt+tab and go into Windows' Task Manager (ctrl+shift+esc). Under 'Processes' right-click sh2pc.exe and set the amount of CPU cores to only 1 core. Otherwise you will get sound and stability issues.
6. And make sure to have Triple Buffering set to OFF. Otherwise you will get weird lines in the geometry of the game
7. Return to Silent Hill 2 and select New Game