In Ensign-1 you play the role of a space fighter pilot returning from a deep space colonization mission. On arrival back to our own solar system, you find Earth has been colonized by a hostile alien force. It's now up to you, with the help of your mothership, the Ensign-1, to take it back Ensign-1 allows allows for complete freedom in approaching objectives. You can fight from the safety of your spacecraft, or land and exit to explore space stations and carriers on foot. You can commandeer any spacecraft in the game, no matter how big or how small. Defend an asteroid base, or take the fight to the enemy with a huge mothership, friends manning turrets, it's your choice. The game also features a multiplayer mode where players can explore a randomly generated galaxy, either fighting co-operatively to clean out enemy fighters, or battling each other for supremacy.

Forum Thread
Cannot update Ensign-1 (Games : Ensign-1 : Forum : Support : Cannot update Ensign-1) Locked
Thread Options
Apr 21 2012 Anchor

Desura offered me to update Ensign-1, but when I clicked Update button error message appeared: There is no update available for this item. [52.0].
What does cause that error? I have Linux64 version.

Apr 22 2012 Anchor

And I already gifted you a correct copy of the game correct? You might ask Desura about this, not me.

What version is it now?

Apr 23 2012 Anchor

I've reinstalled the games, and now it launches (with errors though). How can I determine version of game installed?

Apr 23 2012 Anchor

Desura should tell you somehow, but there's also a number at the bottom right hand of the screen when you first launch the game.

What are the errors you are getting?

Apr 24 2012 Anchor

Ok, I launched Desura, updated other game (successfully), but when I tried to update Ensign-1 that problem happened again.
I reinstalled it again. When I launch the game it prints

/home/skaarjzr/games/Desura/common/ensign-1/Ensign: symbol lookup error: /home/skaarjzr/games/Desura/common/ensign-1/Ensign: undefined symbol: __GLEW_ARB_shader_objects

If I start the game by executing Ensign binary in game directory, game starts but error message appears: No handler found for image type
But menu works. It says version 0.113
When I start new game error message about image handlers appears again and nothing happens when I click highlighted circles.

Apr 24 2012 Anchor

EDIT: Oh, this just occurred to me, it sounds like for whatever reason libglew1.5 might not be installed on your system.
Desura was supposed to install it, but please make sure that library is installed, before trying any of the other things I mentioned.

-------original message---------------------------------

And the game used to run okay?

Well I've got a few things for you to try.
One is, try going to the cfg directory in the game directory. Go to cfg.txt and set useShader: 0
Then try relaunching the program from Desura.

If that doesn't work. The issue you're having from running it in the directory is the character encoding.
So try this

LANG=C ./Ensign

When you run it.
Let me know if any of those work, also, let me know, did the game used to run okay (can you remember what the game was like when it last worked, did it have opengl extensions then in the options do you remember)?
And lastly, could you tell me a bit about your computer please? Graphics card, what language your computer uses, those things.

Edited by: onionman

Apr 25 2012 Anchor

I have glew installed

$ ls /usr/lib64/libGLEW.*
/usr/lib64/libGLEW.a  /usr/lib64/libGLEW.so@  /usr/lib64/libGLEW.so.1.5@  /usr/lib64/libGLEW.so.1.5.7

I cannot find Ensign-1 config files in ~ or in ~/.config or in ~/.local

Game runs fine (without errors, I can play the game) when I run it with LANG=C (it doesn't run when I try to run it from Desura).

$ lspci 
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Host Bridge (rev b1)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 LPC Bridge (rev b3)
00:03.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
00:03.2 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SMBus (rev b1)
00:03.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
00:03.5 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Co-processor (rev b1)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
00:06.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
00:06.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Bridge (rev b1)
00:0b.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SATA Controller (rev b1)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
00:15.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
00:16.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M] (rev a2)
02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
$ locale
LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Edited by: Marzanna

Apr 25 2012 Anchor

Cfg directory is in the game directory, where the game is installed under Desura.

If you're willing to change your system character encoding, you can try "export LANG=C" then it should run from Desura as well,
but running it your way also sounds like it works.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Apr 25 2012 Anchor

It's not a good idea to place config and saves in game directory, because it can be wiped.
Why can't Ensign-1 be launched with my system encoding? And I still can't launch Ensign-1 from Desura.
Also I have performance issues. On maximum settings FPS is too low, on minimal settings sometimes huge lag occurs.

Edited by: Marzanna

May 30 2012 Anchor

If you can't manage to let Ensign-1 run with all encodings ( don't really see why this should be a problem) it would be good if your launcher would execute export LANG=C before running the actual game. I don't want to change my whole system encoding just to be able to launch it via desura.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.