Empire in the Sky is an independently developed PC video game set in a stylized 1960s-1980s retro cartoon universe with blatant and extensive references to NASA and other "Space Race" icons. Much of the data is modeled after real life, so you might even learn something! This is the "lava lamp" of space RPG shooters! Travel the cosmos in a fully customizable spacecraft -- designed by you (or us). Fight or befriend scores of alien civilizations in your quest to rule the cosmos, while exploring a rich, procedurally generated world that includes planets, planetary bases, towns, cities and starbases. Build a nearly limitless and vast empire that stretches across hundreds of star systems, on thousands of planets! Empire in the Sky optionally lets you build your own starbases and planetary bases, and enhance your designs by crafting individual spacecraft parts.

Forum Thread
Poll: Is it O.K. to release a demo that doesn't have all of the features, and then later update it? (2 votes)
Dev Diary #2 (Games : Empire in the Sky : Forum : Dev Diary : Dev Diary #2) Locked
Thread Options
Jul 17 2012 Anchor

Been some time -- very busy -- but wanted to update anyone who is reading this about recent changes.

After publication was approved, we wanted to create a stable version but were unable to get all of the features we had hoped for into the initial release. We nixed alien space ships and asteroid collection for the first release of the demo which should improve performance.

We need feedback from our users once the game is released.

What was worked on recently?

Nothing exciting I'm afraid to say, other than trimming the tree. I recently was forced to dissolve Ganos LLC -- mainly a web company -- a 3 year excursion into the cut-throat world of the web dotcom. In doing so, I suppose I should mention Lost Astronaut Studios is going to move to another server -- hopefully a free or very less expensive one -- sometime soon.

In EITS, we've removed two features (mentioned above), and debugged rigorously the Corona library, only to discover a bad DLL. I added some boring low-level file functions in an attempt to fix issues with saved game data. It's about 50% complete and untested -- my favorite breakfast cereal.

On another note, I personally produced a video of all of my test cases in the hopes I will garner employment. EITS must go on, but for now I must get some real money in my pocket to keep the lights on.

- Fixed bugs in Asteroids, but then removed asteroids until we can investigate issues with std:vector and the AsteroidField class.
- Fixed random baddies lying around by combing with a fine tooth
- Improved stability of the demo in preparation for the upcoming release

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.