You are a God! You are master and ruler of a loyal nation. You have unimaginable powers at your disposal. You have claimed this world as yours. But there are others who stand in your way. You must defeat and destroy these pretenders. Only then can you ascend to godhood and become the new Pantokrator. When you start the game you decide what kind of god you are and how your DOMINION affects your lands and followers. It is an expression of your divine might and the faith of your followers. If your dominion dies, so do you. Your dominion also inspires your sacred warriors and gives them powers derived from your dominion. In order to win and become the one true god you have to defeat your enemies one of three different ways: conquer their lands, extinguish their dominion or claim the Thrones of Ascension. Release version and manual is available now. Manual can be downloaded from Illwinter's web page.

Forum Thread
Welcome to the Dominions 4 Forums! (Games : Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension : Forum : The Halfway Inn - General Discussion : Welcome to the Dominions 4 Forums!) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 2
Jul 16 2013 Anchor

Welcome to the official forums for Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension!

Ask questions, post about the game and mingle with other members of the Dominions community. The forum is rather spartan for the time being, but it will be expanded after the game is released.

Subforums for MP games, modding and maps have been added. Others will be added in the future as necessary.

Edited by: Edirr

Jul 16 2013 Anchor

Simple question to prime the pump. Do we have a pdf manual with Desura distribution?

Jul 16 2013 Anchor

Yes. One would assume that there would be a PDF manual with a digital distribution. The modding and mapmaking documents are certainly in PDF, just like they were for Dominions 3.

Jul 16 2013 Anchor

Great news!

Looking forward to what you're going to bring to this new version!

Jul 18 2013 Anchor

Two questions:

1. Will the manual be like the ones in Dom 2 and Dom 3? ie. a big beast of a manual? I loved those things, still look through them nostalgically. And I loved the demo that the guy from Computer Gaming World wrote.

2. Is there a single thriving community for Dom 4 - ie. a website with forums, strategy docs etc? Shrapnel used to be, and they list some on that site, but wondering if someone happens to know and can save me searching all the provided links...

PS: can't tell you how excited I am for this! I noticed Dom 4 and had preordered within about...5 minutes?

Jul 18 2013 Anchor

1) The manual will be, in terms of content, just as beefy as teh Dom3 manual. However, physical copies of the game are not necessarily possible given the distribution platform. More information on that will no doubt become available later. Presumably a physical manual would also cost more due to printing costs. Bruce Geryk is writing the manual for Dominions 4 too.

2) The main (or at least the official) community will be here. The official community for Dominions 3 these days is the Dominions 3 forums at Desura and there are other communities in other places. The Shrapnel forum is pretty dead these days, but there is a list of communities posted there as well as on the Desura Dom3 forum.

Jul 18 2013 Anchor

Awesome news about Bruce Geryk! Testament to how great this game is that the same guy would come back and write this one...8 years later? I fondly remember the issue of CGW where he played one of his coworkers (I think at Dom2). Don't recall who won, but I remember one of the sides was Rlyeh, and either way it got me to buy the game.

Thrilled about the manual. I'm happy to print my own copy. Might even pony up for some decent binding. I'd rather have lower costs to raise the player base. Physical game copies are dying out anyway.

And yeah, thanks for the forum info - having asked the question I subsequently realised that there's a good Dom 3 community here, which will no doubt migrate once the game is released.

Any word on how multiplayer will be handled? I played about 10 games back in 2007-08, all on either Llamaserver or on a server hosted by Gandalf Parker. Once you got used to them they were fine, but they were a bit clunky - might scare off new players. Any word on that?

Wow, here's the very article. And big props to the Computer Gaming World Museum for preserving all the CGW articles in pdf format.

“cgwmuseum.org/galleries/index.php?year=2004&pub=2&id=235”

Review on page 67, Tom vs Bruce from page 120. Both still make great fun reading. Tom with Machaka, Bruce with R'lyeh. I won't spoil it by saying who wins :)

Sorry about no hyperlink - guess I haven't been registered long enough to do that...

Ah, here's an easier to read version...

1up.com/features/tom-bruce-11?pager.offset=0

Jul 28 2013 Anchor

*ignore*

Edited by: ZephyrDoo

Sep 14 2013 Anchor

I've added some subforums to the forum structure just now. A side effect of the changes in the forum unfortunately means that all links from the outside to specific threads are now broken and need to be corrected.

More subforums (e.g. an equivalent of The Codex over at Dom3 forums) will be added later, as well as possibly an OT forum and perhaps something else if needed.

Sep 15 2013 Anchor

Thanks Edirr, the forums are improving a lot with these additions.

I have some questions rather than bugs as probably many players, so I think posting here can add a filter to the bugs thread and helping in gathering info.
My main concern now is that the Laboratory button in right bar is not working. To access to research, globals, and inventory I have to use hotkeys. As nobody has noticed it, I'm starting to think it might be related to my own config (w7ult 64 i5 2500 in v3.99g). Is it currently working (but me) or is it known and to be fixed later just before release?

Sep 15 2013 Anchor

No, it's not your config, that one is a bug. I have it also now and I don't think that bug was there before. I mostly use the hotkeys anyway.

Sep 15 2013 Anchor

It was in f also. But i thought it was because they were working on the lab system or something...

Sep 15 2013 Anchor

It's the same for me, clicking the laboratory button does nothing. But there are also separate buttons for research etc which work fine. It's a bit annoying though.

Sep 15 2013 Anchor

It's reported, so I expect Johan to fix it as soon as he and Kristoffer come back from Tokyo.

Sep 16 2013 Anchor

Could we please have an AAR forum ?

Sep 16 2013 Anchor

maybe the MP could also be useful for AARs.

Sep 16 2013 Anchor

That's what was done on Shrapnel's forum. They finished by putting tags so AAR could be found :S, and putting global sticky thread to find some of them...

Also, in a game like Dominions, where strategies are very nation specific, I feel like guides (nations and thug guides and pretender and so on) should also have their own section. If the manual stays in the same spirit as the Dom 3 manual, there is a need for a newbie & experienced people to meet on how to use the game rather than speaking of what is balanced, general talks and so on.

Sep 16 2013 Anchor

A separate forum for AARs might be useful, but it would be good to know just how much use we're going to get out of it. If there are only a few AARs, then it's better to have them in the MP forum than in a separate one. If we have a lot of AARs, then it would be useful. The Desura software has limitations that are not present on phpBB for example, so that is a consideration I must take into account. I'll think about it, though.

We'll also have something similar to The Codex over at Dom3 forums, but I'll add that later too.

Sep 16 2013 Anchor

what are they doing in Tokyo ?

Sep 16 2013 Anchor

Should the AAR be in another section, I'd propose it to be in a "guides" section rather than MP forum. They'd be drowned into the mass of threads.

Sep 16 2013 Anchor

millyvanilly wrote: what are they doing in Tokyo ?

To my knowledge, there have been several attempts at developing a ritual called "Enslave Illwinter" that would force Johan and Kristoffer to develop Dominions to the exclusion of all activities not required for survival or game development. To date, all such attempts have failed, and Illwinter has been known to enjoy the occasional holiday in lands near and far. :)

This is one of those occasions. On the bright side, perhaps Kristoffer will come away with some additional inspiration for Yomi, Shinuyama and Jomon and perhaps some other ideas he has been bouncing around.

Edited by: Edirr

Sep 16 2013 Anchor

A nation of japanese octupusi.

Sep 16 2013 Anchor

I would've thought LA R'lyeh would be more appropriate. :)

Sep 17 2013 Anchor

We are watching upside down jellyfish :)
They do exist! I've seen them.

We are taking a tourist trip and will also visit the Tokyo Game Show.
We don't have a booth or anything, but it might be interesting to visit.

We do some work and forum reading as well. I will probably avoid spritemaking, since my laptop is not an optimal tool.

Sep 17 2013 Anchor

Oh, welcome to Japan!
I hope you enjoy this travel. :D

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.