First person horror action-adventure video game developed by Techland and published by Deep Silver for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. It is centered on the challenge of survival on a zombie-infested open world island with a major emphasis on melee combat.
Challenge Mode version of Director's Cut. Director's Cut is aimed at making combat more realistic. The optional challenge mode is a somewhat more difficult version without requiring multiple tedious hits to the head. Getting one-hit kills on Walkers will require high damage upgraded weapons/critical hits/character skills. Challenge mode is the recommended version for making co-op more interesting.
From the author, tnutz:
Introducing the optional challenge mode, a somewhat more difficult version without requiring multiple tedious hits to the head. Getting one-hit kills on Walkers will require high damage upgraded weapons/critical hits/character skills.
Challenge mode is the recommended version for making co-op more interesting.
There is also still the normal mode that results in many one-hit head kills, like the previous versions.
This mod is for people that want even more involved and visceral combat with the common zombies.
There is an emphasis on aiming your attacks, with lots of arms being chopped and blown off and heads flying and being crushed. You can attempt the risky but often-lethal jump-kick, chop off/break arms while backpedaling/dodging, get 2 headshots in one swipe, throw at the head, shoot at the head, throw a lucky standing punch to the head, deplete stamina with blunt hits then knockdown with a 0 stamina kick, ground and pound the head with a few good shots, those are all viable tactics in this mod. Critical hit weapon mods can now take full effect, and class skills can really shine.
Version 3.3 increases the tactical depth with more varied hit reaction animations, and makes Fury useful again for Logan and Purna.
- More involved and demanding combat. I tried to refine and highlight the best aspects of Dead Island's combat and tie it together into a deeper combat system where you are rewarded for properly assessing the situation and acting tactically
- Precision strikes to the head give you quick kills
- Different enemy groups can make for very different feeling fights
- Less predictable enemy reactions keep you on your toes
- You can stay in control of big fights by taking advantage of each situation, and you don't have to spam-kick the whole time
- Normal attacks to the body work towards knock down, but do no health damage to Walkers and little to infected
- Weapon mods are useful and take full effect. A crit even to the body can make your enemies bleed out, burn to a crisp, or dance while being electrocuted
- Added base critical chance of 5% to all weapon types to highlight mod effects (3.1)
- Hits to a Walker's arms break and dismember them easily, doing little damage but setting up a killshot
- Strong blunt attacks to the leg will up-end zombies
- Very strong blunt attacks to the body will knock-out as well (3.1 reduces overall Walker stamina)
- Walker health parameters re-adjusted to balance weapons upgrades and crit effects (3.2)
- A semi-decent weapon should be required for a one-shot killing blow to the head
- Hits to Walker legs now cause a minor amount of damage so you can trigger the more varied animations as well as see the damage effects
- Walkers have less predictable reaction animations when you hit them. Now the result of a successful attack will be more varied, forcing you to assess and respond quickly (in vanilla you could always tell what animation would play based on your weapon/enemy hitpoint/where you were standing, etc..) (3.2)
More info at Forums.steampowered.com