First update in 2014 finally arrived. This time we have got a bunch of new stuff so let's see what new release have on offer.
Finally all playable heroes have their own avatars while in fight. That was the last thing on the list which was holding other changes to be looked at. No more black silhouettes. Original game art is finally complete.
This is probably the most interesting change in this release. Some monster have gained special abilities which will change how you fight against those monsters. Those special abilities will either affect your heroes or it will help monster in the fight. What are those abilities you ask ?
- Hydra - If wounded, agility increases +1 with each turn, which in the end increases damage of Hydra's attack,
- Kronk - They smell so badly that affected heroes are -2 on agility. Hero ability to not be affected by smell depends on resistance stat.
- Troll - If wounded, Trolls can heal themselves (+1) on every each third turn.
- Spider - while facing a spider, heroes needs to watch out for spider web. On each turn spider extrudes web towards all heroes. Each hero if affected will lose ability to perform an attack. Ability to deflect this web depends again on resistance stat.
- Gorgon - It can turn peoples into stones. If hero in front row, middle position will fall under the spell it will be out of the fight. Hero still can be killed. Ability to deflect depend on resistance stat.
- Sorcerer & Unnamed - They will cast an lightning spell instead of normal attack. They will do so until casting another spell will kill them.
New elements to Fight arena UI has been added. Information about the current phase of the battle and effects that are in place are placed on left top corner for the screen. This release also introduces permanent death to heroes regardless of which difficulty you are playing on. Previously a killed hero could have been selected again. This no longer possible. Stats for most of the heroes and few monsters has been touched to provide a more balanced gameplay. Few additions also has been made to game sounds department and a new spell "Mass Heal" is available to be selected.
I'm happy to announce that Dark Gates will get his own comic book. This production will show a story of six heroes entering Labyrinth ... well you know the story. This project is in very early stage but It will be definitely finish before final release of the game. As a massive thank you to every one who supported Dark Gates by purchasing a copy of alpha on Desura, Gamers Gate or Direct Download (provided by Desura), comic book will be attached as pdf to the game. As soon comic book will be ready, you will get it. Below you can see a taste how the art will look like - Braqoon and Gilith - pencil & ink by Armando Rillo.
Changelog - Release 0.7.0
New: In fight avatars: All Zebest, Alryk, Curvenol, Dalmilandril, Dierdra, Eodred, Maytwist, Gwaigilion, Sliggoth, Gislan, Larraka, Linfalas, Theregond, Weldron,
New: Monsters (Hydra, Kronk, Troll, Spider, Gorgon, Sorcerer, Unnamed) have special skills/spells which affect fight,
New: Permadeath - Killed heroes no longer can be selected back into party when continuing saved game,
New: Doors are now displayed on corridor tiles,
New: Enhanced fight screen UI,
New: Sounds for Female heroes, Spider, Warg/Werewolf,
New: Dark Gates are visible on mini map after placement.
New: Spell - Mass Heal
Change: Adjustments in frame rate to make menus more responsive
Change: Monsters and heroes stats adjustment.