3089 is a futuristic, procedurally generated, open-world action role-playing game. All terrain, enemies, weapons, items, quests & more are uniquely generated. You are a promising robotic android design, made by the Overlord, placed on planet Xax. Your performance in common combat, support & intel scenarios is being closely watched. However, will you become too much for them to handle? What else on planet Xax exists that the Overlord doesn’t know about?

Forum Thread
Huge 3089 Update: Time ripping, air battles & more! (Games : 3089 : Forum : Annoucements : Huge 3089 Update: Time ripping, air battles & more!) Locked
Thread Options
Oct 2 2013 Anchor

Hey guys,

You now have a new superpower: time ripping! This is a new, inherent ability that you can't lose and you don't need a special item to use. When you stop time, everything goes black & white, you can move freely and even attack -- however, your shots will float in mid-air until time resumes!

ss_timerip

You'll need to find & collect items to "charge" your time ripping ability. Green items provide +3 seconds, blue +2 seconds & red +1 seconds:

ss_timerip_item

Enemies & allies will spawn flying in the air at much greater heights, allowing for better air battles. Also, you will no longer immediately crash when hitting another robot, which will greatly help with quick mid-air maneuvers. Vehicle health has also been increased.

ss_flight

The "quest" key (default "Q") has been improved to provide useful tips when you are not on a quest. I highly recommend using it -- it will tell you when you have skill points to assign, when you should activate a new backup station or get some armor. It will also point you in the right direction to continue the story if you get lost.

Some polishing & bugfixes are also included -- I've fixed the opening menu animation & fixed a nasty voice bug when you have a bunch of followers who recently killed an enemy. I've also made friendly guys not attack each other in swarms if someone accidentally causes some collateral damage.

Read the changelog here: 3089game.wordpress.com

Time to make a new trailer & as usual, back to work!
- Phr00t

Oct 9 2013 Anchor

This is a good update so far. The new features are pretty neat! Is there some limit to how much charge the time-rip can hold? I like the way that's implemented, and collecting the clocks along the way is a nice non-combat thing to keep the player occupied as they go. Not to mention there's just a certain satisfaction from grabbing items. And taking out irritating enemies using that is pretty fun. The only issue I see with it is it might make bosses too easy; just get 20 seconds of time built up, turn it on, and spam a zillion shots in front of them.

I think the only issue I have with these most recent updates is that the vehicle stations are too rare; it's kinda tough to find any in many areas. Currently it seems better to simply use the temp vehicles from the build gizmo. Speaking of that thing: I dont suppose there's some way you could implement a copy/paste function for that thing? That'd make building structures go much, much faster.

Which also reminds me of another suggestion, which would be a total "ammo" count displayed somewhere on-screen, when using either an ammo-based gun or the build thing. Could just go right down by the Burst display. That'd be really helpful, and prevent situations where suddenly the gun stops firing because you didnt realize you were getting low. Oh, and having the level of a given item display on the item's icon in the inventory would help alot as well.

This is looking more and more polished overall. The new interface changes look good, and the new city stuff is just great; that's pretty much how I'd hoped they'd look from the start. Building structures is muuuuuuuuuuch easier now if done on those flat panels; trying to make structures on lumpy hills was always tough! The watchtowers are nice too, and it looks like the, er, big dungeon buildings or whatever they were called have a bit of a new look as well?

Pretty good overall! I dont recall seeing any bugs so far either.

Oct 9 2013 Anchor

Current time-ripping max is 15 seconds, which should give you a decent amount of time to do something interesting (while discouraging the player to just stock up on huge time ripping power).

The vehicle stations are a trade-off... yes, fewer vehicles will spawn, but now you can see the spawn locations on the map & a vehicle is almost guaranteed to spawn on one. You can return to previous vehicle stations to pick up another ship, too.

Yeah, the copy/paste thing has been on my to-do list for awhile. I've got some marketing to do, but that is one feature I'd really like to make.

I just uploaded / released v0.110b now with a few improvements :-)

Thank you for your support,
- Phr00t

Oct 11 2013 Anchor

Now that I've had a chance to play the update... LOVE IT (as usual lol).

The time ripping is very intuitive and very fun to play aroudn with - my personal favourite trick is to get enemies in a line following me, hit hoverboard and start going around the flank, timerip, and hover past them and shoot them in the side... with my rifle it's basically a reverse firing squad, and it looks rather funny.

The air combat improvements are great, and IDK if it's an artifact of code or a purposeful design but the enemies seem to fly in formation a lot now - another great thing. Unfortunately the allied flyers still derp around a bit (teleporting all the time, shooting silly targets on the ground when you're clearly going after a particular enemy or one that's shooting you), but that will be ironed out eventually and it's a great improvement... also, there's nothing like the feeling of "calling in an airstrike" by teleporting/jumping into an area and then getting the heck out of dodge once your flying allies start pounding the area with bombs (targeted at enemies, but with the spread and bounce it's more like carpet bombing lol).

Overall, the update brought a lot of 'storytelling' back to the game - it's like back in the earlier days where you only picked fights you knew you could win, where enemies would support each other and your friends would be a viable assault option instead of having to do everything yourself. To me, that's a very big step towards the 'ideal' NPC interaction, where they'd go and write/live out a story themselves if you just sat in a corner and watched :)

Oct 13 2013 Anchor

Glad you are enjoying it YetiChow :-)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.