In addition to class powers, every character in 1Quest can cast spells. Spells access are granted by two things:
- The magic school skill, like Evocation or Conjuration
- The magic affinity, like Holy or Fire
You can cast the spell if your skill in the magic school is high enough, and if you get all the affinities of the spell. For example, to cast a Fireball, you need 6 in Evocation and 2 Fire affinity
There is 4 magic school
- Conjuration: summon ally and others things
- Enchantment: Alter enemies mind, or reinforce your
- Evocation: Destructive magic
- Transmutation: Alter your body, or the body of other
Each one is a classic skill that can be raised. Raising the skill beyond the prerequisite increase the spell efficiency, but less than having greater affinities
There is 6 affinities. All races, except Orc, begins with a single affinity. Human start with Holy 1, Dwarf with Earth 1.
Mage and Priest are better caster because their classes grant additional points:
- Mage grants additional points in elementary affinities (Air, Earth, Fire, Water)
- Priest grant points in divine affinities (Holy and Death).
But those are not the only way to get into Magic. Some dungeon got Magic Altars that permanently raise affinities. Spells books and Magic Staff can also increase them while wielded.
Most character can find beneficial to have a little of magic to overcome certain challenges. But it is not a mandatory option. Specially for Orc warriors!
With this system, a Dwarf Priest and a Human Priest won't play the same as they do not focus on the sames spells. In 1Quest, most play will be unique!