This mod from the Westeros: Total War team features a new campaign. Other features include new graphics and banners for all Westerosi families, assassin hiring, completely new Westerosi Ancillaries, and a lot more. See File Details.
Author: Westeros: Total War team
Westeros: Total War Beta v0.5
Westeros: Total War is a modification for Medieval 2 Total War. It is based on the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' (ASoIaF) novels by George R.R. Martin.
This is a beta release, which means unfortunately not everything is entirely polished. We recommend playing the factions that are fully skinned for the best experience: House Stark, Joffrey and Tully. The other houses are of course still playable, but keep in mind that they have not been polished yet.
We have rooted out quite a few bugs during our testing, and the current build appear to be quite bug-free. However, if you followed all the installation steps and still encounter any bugs or CTDs, go to Medieval II Total War/logs and post the error log in the bug reporting thread, either by attaching the entire file or copying it in spoiler tags.
Any gameplay and balance suggestions are of course welcome. We have much room for improvement
1. Make sure you haven't changed anything in your vanilla directory(any mods that aren't exclusive in mod folders for example), cause that might conflict with this mod. This mod only works with patch 1.2/1.3. Kingdoms is compatible but not necessary.
2. Download mod.
3. Extract it into your Medieval2 folder. There should now be a Westeros Total War 0.51 BETA folder in your game folder.
4. If you unpacked M2TW, you need to backup some files in Medieval II Total Wardata, find and copy these folders to somewhere safe: banners, model_strat and ui. You'll need these when you want to play vanilla/other mods, or uninstall this mod.
5. Move the contents inside folder Westeros Total War 0.5 BETA and paste them directly in the game folder. You should now have a Westeros folder, Westeros.bat and Westeros.cfg inside your main folder (= the folder containing the medieval2.exe).
6. Play the mod by opening the Westeros.bat
*New graphics and banners for all Westerosi families
*Three fully skinned factions: Stark, Tully and Joffrey
*Detailed campaign map of Westeros
*Long summers and vicious winters, with proper aging (courtesy of GrnEyedDvl)
*Garrison Script for Dorne
*Foreign faction leader death notifications (courtesy of Blood, Broads and Bastards)
*Outriders that can steal enemy supplies
*Various optional events (inspired by Anno Domini)
*Bloodline traits for all major families (courtesy of BBB)
*Completely new Westerosi Ancillaries (and there are a LOT of them!)
*Office ancillaries for noble houses and Kings (inspired by BBB)
*Heraldic ancillaries (inspired by BBB)
*Campaign AI by Lusted
*Westerosi Guilds, including assassins, alchemists and Faith Militants. Not perfected though, purchase with caution.
Balanced battles(courtesy of RealCombat)
Balanced recruitment rates
Balanced Victory Conditions for noble Lords and Kings
...and many more!
Changelog Patch v0.51
- filled up missing unit cards and unit info cards
- added hammerhorn ancillary (text, enum, export)
- added LordSnow's portrait for Joffrey, loras, jaime, lancel, theon
- removed knights templar (EDB)
- removed Billmen
- added Heavy Billmen and Bill Militia to Renly roster
- halved heretic spawn rate
- fixed the no-skin bug of the Dornish peasant archers
- Ironmen Warriors, Ironmen Raiders and Ironmen Axemen no longer use Stark shields but vanilla Denmark ones
- free upkeep bonus added for castle buildings (1/2/3/4 units for Wooden Castle/Castle/Fortress/Citadel respectively)
- more units now have the free upkeep ability
- added starting armies for the factions
- gave starting ancillary titles to Tywin, Trebor , Franklyn, Harmen, Anders, Leyton, Paxter, Yohn, Renly, Horton, Tremond, Qorgyle, Mooton, Balon
- fixed descriptions for the nobility titles of Stonedance, Saltpans, Raventree
- changed the money script, increased the donation to the AI
- changed the AI in debt script
- lowered the king's purse for all factions (makes it harder for the player)
- fixed the duplicate paragraph in Jaime's biography
- removed most armour upgrades for the Ironmen Warriors and Ironmen Raiders because they lack a skin
- added Jaime's armour, Nightfall, Oathkeeper, Lady Forlorn, Heartsbane
- corrected quote #99
The changes will only work when you start a new campaign.
If you don't see anything new when starting a new campaign, delete the file map.rwm in C:Program FilesSEGAMedieval II Total WarWesterosdataworldmapsbase and restart a campaign.
(If Jaime Lannister's Gilded Armour shows up in his ancillaries, the patch works)
Gameplay Readme and Advice:
Managing your family:
With the bloodline traits, you can keep track of your entire noble family with ease. However, it is easy for small families like Arryn or Stannis to dwindle and die off. The tip to keep your blood pure is obviously, never adopt. Also, some factions start off with no heir, so some generals are designated as heir. However, once you raised your own garden (as Lord Tywin puts it) you know what must be done to secure the throne for your own kin.
Managing armies and battles:
If you don't have experience with RealCombat, it's a unit balancing mod that emphasizes the importance of armored units. In vanilla, armor-clad knights die as easily as lowly peasants wearing boiled leather. In RC, a well-trained armored unit can stand up to peasants three times its number, and only be worn down by fatigue. Have no fear of imba however, for a well aimed cavalry can spell doom to the best armored knights on foot. But lowly spear-wielding peasants can slow down an armored charge long enough to bring your own forces to bear. In short, RC achived a much more tactical-inclined balance than vanilla. Combined-arms stacks are highly encouraged, and you could decide between expensive, hard to replenish elites vs commoner levies that are cheap and easy to mass.
Most settlements have a heraldic anc which generals can acquire by staying in the town for one turn. For example, If you conquer Harrenhal and sit Ser Gregor inside, he'll be granted the title Lord of Harrenhal as an ancillary. The only exception are the capital settlements of each family, whose heraldry is automatically granted to the current faction leader. For example, if Tywin dies and Kevan becomes leader, he'll be automatically granted the Lord of Casterly Rock, without having to stay there one turn.
Each noble house has two basic offices to grant to generals or family members: Castellan and Master of Horse. Each King has the right to grant several additional offices to serve as his council: Hand of King, Master of Coin, Master of Ship, and Master of Law. Here's how you acquire these offices: (All of them require your general to stay inside a settlement)
Castellan: Stay in Capital, have more than 4 loyalty
Master of Horse: Train cavalry
Hand: have more than 2 authority
Law: Keep your townsfolks happy
Coin: Tax your town
Ship: Build a ship
Crowns and Ancillaries in general:
Watch out how many ancs your faction lead has when he claims king. The hardcoded max number of ancillaries per general is eight, so if he already has eight ancs, he won't get a crown. Some ancillaries are transferable, such as offices and heraldries, you could keep a few on your heirs and leaders to save spare ancillary space.
Regarding the advisor optional events:
Don't save in the middle of one, it won't pop up again when you reload.
Watch out where you're standing when you're spawning anything (assassins usually), keep the space around your capital's ports clear or you will be declined by the guilds.
If you have any more questions regarding gameplay, I'll add stuff to this section later.
Team and Contribution:
Gampie (mapping, coding, banners)
LordSnow (skinning, 2D art)
TheKingSlayer (flavour text writer)
Daedalus V2.0 (flavour text writer)
BattleDrumz (skinning, 2D art)
stormbringer951 (flavour text writer, testing)
aeoleron9 (coding, ancillaries and traits)
Special thanks and Credits:
Marcus, who was leader on the previous Westeros mod project
GrnEyedDvl, for his continuous support on the scripting front
Lusted, for his brilliant AI
Blood, Broads and Bastards
Gampie, LordSnow and aeoleron9 for their work. I hope you will be back with us soon!
portraits: Amok, Collectible Card Game of FantasyFlightGames
banners: Stig Greve, Amok, Virginia Norey
loading screens: Morano
ancillaries art: CCG, Amok