This is a demo playing utility that allows you to play demos without the hassle of manually typing in the commands in the Quake 4 console.
q4replay version 0.3 by funktion
Author: Daniel Riti (funktion)
Language: Python 2.4.2 / wxPython 18.104.22.168
Compiler: Python 2.4.2 / py2exe 0.6.3 (http://py2exe.org)
IRC: #strogg @ ETG (irc.enterthegame.com)
q4replay is a demo playing utility that allows you to play demos without
the hassle of manually typing in the commands in the quake4 console. The
program allows the user to select his or her Quake 4 directory and demo,
then the program creates a demoLaunch.bat file which automatically loads
the demo with the selected user mod.
* Remembers the location of your q4 directory.
* Allow users to select which modification they would like to play the demo back in.
* Quick and easy user interface with minimalistic approach.
* Zero learning curve, just launch, select, and load!
* Demo playback control to allow users to control their demo playback speed!
1. Unzip the contents of this ZIP file to a location of your choice.
2. Read the README.txt
3. Double click q4replay.exe to load the program.
4. It's that simple.
Bonus. Create a shortcut to your desktop.
1. Locate the directory you unzipped your q4replay to.
2. Double-Click on your q4replay.exe
3. If this is your first time running q4replay, select the Dir... button and locate your Quake4 directory.
4. Click on Demo... button and locate your demo directory (your-Quake4-installq4basedemos, etc)
5. Select a demo you wish to view.
6. Select which mod the demo is incorporated with.
7. Click Launch Demo button.
8. Kick back and enjoy.
Playback Controls (version 0.3)
**WARNING: Selecting this option will BIND demo playback controls to the ARROW keys of your keyboard! If you use these
keys for movement/binds/etc this option should be avoided!**
Playback Controls allows the user to have full control of the demos they watch. Now users can Pause, Resume, Speed up, or Slow down demos with this options!
The controls are:
Down: Pause (demo_scale 0.1)
Up: Resume (demo_scale 1.0)
Left: Slow Down (demo_scale 0.5 - 0.1)
Right: Speed up (demo_scale 2.0 - 32.0)
- Switched over to the Python platform for the project. Allows freedom (free as in beer) from the .NET framework which seemed to plague many users.
- User Interface updated.
- Added a status bar to let the user know what is going on instead of pop-up messageboxs.
- Removed the "Locate Q4 directory" dialog for first time use.
- Added Playback controls option to the settings, which allows users to Pause, Resume, Slow Down, and Speed up demos while viewing them. (See Playback Controls section for more details)
- Cleaned up alot of code to make the program more efficient.
- User Interface updated.
- Added Auto-Rename feature which will rename demos to q4replay.netdemo to remove any demo name problems with obscure character bug.
- Added demo_enforceFS 1 option for q4max playback. This solves some playback issues with q4max demos.
- Added a check to confirm user selected directory is a valid Quake 4 directory.
- Removed option to playback *.demo files. *.demo are useless in quake4.
- Fixed multiple bugs which crashed q4replay.
- Updated About button.
- User Interface created.
- Added mod support to demo playback
- Added error checks
- Added feature to remember user's quake4 directory
- Added Help/About buttons
Quake4 has a "feature" which disallows the playback of demos with
parenthesis or other abstract characters. Thus, demos that are recorded
automatically in q4max contain a playback problem when using their original
This issue is resolved with the Auto-Rename checkbox located in the
Settings field. Keep this checkbox selected to avoid this problem.