This contains the official V3.20 update. This is not just meant to preserve the update but also provide those who have a AMD K6-2, AMD K6-3 and or 3Dfx based machine the updates that the game either has as optional or required to run on said computers and by the way read the instruction in each file.
If you got your copy off of steam and want the Quad Damage Edition: Gog.com
If this was the first Quake game that you have ever played then I suggest you also play: Gog.com
- Fixed a network problem where and oversize packet could cause a client
- Fixed the long standing Quake2 bug of where you would occasionally spawn
or teleport and find yourself either looking straight at the ceiling or
down at the floor.
- Changed it so that the function keys (F1 through F12) now get executed when
depressed during demo playback or attract modes. This allows you to take
screen shots (F12) during demos and other features. An example of other
features is a fast forward for demos:
alias +ff "timedemo 1"
alias -ff "timedemo 0"
bind f7 +ff
This binding will cause the current demo playing to zip into timedemo mode
while F7 is depressed, effectively acting like a fast forward key.
- Wrong packaging of 3.19 patch. The Rogue CD has a 45k pak2 and vwep .md2
files in baseq2/players, but the 3.19 x86 patch we released has a 2.7MB
pak2. 3.20 has a 45k pak2 and the vwep models go in baseq2/players.
- VWep code has been added to Xatrix dll, new VWep models for the Xatrix
specific weapons (Ion Ripper and Phalanx) have been included.
- Rogue Linux game library was wrong version and had some unlinked symbols,
this has been corrected.
- Occasional error of: "D_SCAlloc: bad cache width 16384" in software renderer.
This had to do with surfaces to SURF_FLOWING and were transparent. This
has been fixed in the refs now so flowing transparent textures now works.
- [Unix] Net_ErrorToString calls were wrong, was using %i and not %s resulting
in random numbers being printed for error messages.
- Color shell mixing restored to the same blends as previous versions. This
was changed in 3.19 for the new color shells the Rogue mission pack
- Fixed a possible server crash in the new "playerlist" command.
- Fixed a case where a person joining a server could be invisible (left over
setting of SVF_NOCLIENT from previous spectator).
- Invalid pak files no longer cause a crash and are just ignored
- Fixed a 3.19 bug where linked models (modelindex2) who's modelindex was
greater than 0x7f causes the wrong model to be drawn (in some cases, the
world would be drawn twice). This was the cause of many of the "extreme"
frame lag people were seeing in 3.19 on servers using old-style VWep code.
- Linux: Complete rewrite of the OpenGL library handling. This was needed
to cleanly integrate OpenGL extension checking. Linux now supports
extensions such as multitexture and better dynamic loading of libraries.
It's cleaner now in that you don't have to preload hack stuff to use the
3DFX Miniport rather than libMesa3D. The Linux version now uses the
gl_driver to specify the 3D library to dynamically load. For example, to
use the lib3dfxgl.so miniport, one would now use:
./quake2 +set vid_ref gl +set gl_driver lib3dfxgl.so
This change fixes several bugs that were apparant in the older method, such
as a segfault occasionally when connecting to a server with a different game
The vid menu in the Linux version has been changed to reflect the new
options, the current list of supported video drivers are now: software,
software X11, Mesa 3-D 3DFX, 3DFXGL Miniport, OpenGL glX, and Mesa 3-D glX,
- Railgun shots now go through gibs as well as other players.
- New server variable, "needpass" that can been seen with server browser
AMD 3DNow! Technology Optimized Quake II v3.20, AMD Build 981204 03:20:01
*** FOR AMD PROCESSORS WITH 3DNOW! TECHNOLOGY
This distribution contains seven files:
- quake2.exe ... AMD 3DNow! technology optimized Quake II game executable
- ref_glam.dll ... AMD 3DNow! technology optimized Quake II GL refresh
- ref_swam.dll ... AMD 3DNow! technology optimized Quake II software refresh
- 3dfxglam.dll ... AMD 3DNow! technology optimized combo 3Dfx miniGL plus Glide v2.53
- gamex86.dll ... Quake II v3.20 game DLL
- fxmemmap.vxd ... 3Dfx memory map VxD for Glide v2.5
- 3dnowq2.txt ... (this file)
3DNOWQ2.EXE is a self-extracting Zip archive with a default unzip folder
of c:\quake2. Extract the files into the folder where you installed
If your revision of FXMEMMAP.VXD is dated 2-13-98 or earlier, it should
be updated with the version installed by this release. Check your
windows\system folder to find this file's revision date. If it is an
older revision, copy and paste FXMEMMAP.VXD from your Quake II folder
to the windows\system folder. If you run Quake II and have not updated
this file, you may see the popup message:
"Expected VxD version 1.4, got 1.2"
It is also possible that later revisions of FXMEMMAP.VXD could be incompatible
with this release. If you experience problems while in 3DNow! 3DfxGL mode only
then try replacing FXMEMMAP.VXD regardless of its revision date.
After completing the installation process, run Quake II as usual from
the Quake II shortcut in your start menu.
To enable 3DNow! technology optimization, select one of the 3DNow! technology
options from the Quake II video driver menu as follows:
[3DNow! 3DfxGL ] ... optimized for a Voodoo2 based graphics adapter
[3DNow! OpenGL ] ... optimized for adapters with OpenGL ICD drivers
[3DNow! software] ... optimized software only rendering
At the time of this release, the Voodoo 2 option implements the most
extensive optimizations for 3DNow! technology.
This release is based on Quake II v3.20.
If you have a later revision of Quake II, check the Quake II FAQ at:
Support will be provided by AMD only via email.
If you need technical support for this release, send email to:
*** THIS RELEASE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY ID SOFTWARE OR 3DFX INTERACTIVE.
*** THEY WILL NOT OFFER ANY TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE.