Here's an add-on to burrek's Unique Europeans, Early Period pack that enhances the differences between knights and commoners.
VI. Future Work
This is an add-on pack for burrek's Unique Europeans, Early Period. It is possible to use it by itself but it was meant as an addition and not a standalone package.
This add-on pack contains new textures for all the early period noble born European units as well as new textures for the commoners that used to share textures with the nobles.
The new textures for the knights are a bit simplified compared to the Unique Europeans pack but they are much more historically accurate. The commoner textures are a lot less flamboyant and a lot planer looking. The horse barding has also been changed to a planer looking version compared to vanilla textures.
List of changes:
- new feudal and mailed knights
- new heavy/light mail commoners
- new horse barding
This add-on changes the battle_models.MODELDB file in order to add more textures to the game. This makes it incompatible with any mods that add change this file unless you feel confident you can merge them manually (check the advanced installation for details).
A following bardings have not been changed: Russia, Venice, Portugal
Note: texture mods won't work in any other directory than the vanilla /data/ directory.
- Medieval 2 : Total War (and possibly patched to version 1.1)
- (Optional, recommended if you plan to deinstall) If you have unpacked your M2TW backup the following directories and their contents in your vanilla MTW2 installation folder:
- (important!) If you have unpacked your M2TW backup this file : *\data\unit_models\battle_models.MODELDB. If your using any mods that might have modified this file it will be important to un-do the instalation
- In order to use the new horse barding paste the /data/ folder, and its contents, found in /Horse Barding/ over your MTW2 root directory and click "yes" when prompted to overwrite.
- In order to use the new knights and knaves textures paste the /data/ folder, and its contents, found in /Knights & Knaves/ over your MTW2 root directory and click "yes" when prompted to overwrite.
- enable file reading by doing 1 or 2:
1. add the lines
file_first = true
to the "medieval2.preference.CFG" file. Note that you will also need to add this line to any mod specific .CFG files if you use a mod-switches (make sure your CFG file is read-only as the game will erase the command otherwise).
2. use the .bat file provided witht he readme to launch the game
Advanced Installation (Optional): If you are sure that another of the mods you want to use modified the battle_models.MODELSDB here is a short explanation on how to enable the new knight textures.
- Follow the first 3 steps of the regular procedure.
- In order to use the new knights and knaves textures paste the /_units/ folder, and its contents, found in /Knights & Knaves/data/unit_models/ over your */Medieval II Total War/data/unit_models/_units/ directory and click "yes" when prompted to overwrite.
- Open the battle_models.MODELDB file.
- Look for any strings of this form en_lmail_hmail_***faction name***.TEXTURE :
- for any knight units change the string to en_kmail_kmail_***faction name***.TEXTURE and the associated normal map (it's the file right after it) to en_kmail_kmail_normal.TEXTURE
- for any commoner unit leave the name as is
- for any crusader units change the file from
and the associated normal map to en_kmail_kmail_normal.TEXTURE (note that this texture name is longer than the default texture name for the crusader unit and so you will need to update the string-length)
- There is no Russian kmail_kmail texture so leave the Russians alone.
If you have backed-up your files simply restore them, else re-unpack the the data packs of the original game or remove the "[io] file_first = true" from your .CFG files.
V. Future Work
The next version of this add-on is going to add 4 new units to the early period:
- Dismounted Mailed Knights ( 2h-axe noble heavy infantry) for all factions with mailed knights
- Viking Axemen (2h-axe commoner heavy infantry) for Poland, Russia and Denmark
- Sargeant Swordsman (sword and shield commoner heavy infantry) for all factions with sargeants except HRE
- Germanic Swordsman (2h sword commoner heavy infantry) for HRE, Denmark
Thanks to alpaca for making the dds-texture converter
Anyone is welcome to use these textures as they please and consider them public domain although it would be nice if the burrek was mentioned.