Hero Editor Version 1.04 - Final - This Popular Editor works for Diablo II character files, up to version 1.14d.
Hero Editor Version 1.04 - Final
INSTALLATION Vista, Win7, Win8, Win10.
1) Download and extract the zip install files to a folder on your desktop.
2) Right click on Setup.exe and select -> Run as Administrator.
This step is important for installing the vb6 runtime files, needed for the program.
3) Find Hero Editor shortcut. Right click and select Properties, then click the compatibility tab.
Set compatibility mode to Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
Set Run this program as administrator.
Click OK to close.
INSTALLATION and USAGE XP, Win2K:
1) If you are using Windows 2000, NT, or XP, then make sure you have Administrator rights when you install Hero Editor. If you are the only user of your computer, then probably already have Administrator rights. Also, make sure that you have installed all patches to your operating system. If not, you will probably get errors about not having various windows files installed correctly, or that you cannot copy files, such as the Setup.LST file.
2) After you have installed and started Hero Editor, press and release the F1 key, and a Help file will pop up that will give you a description about how to use some of the features of Hero Editor.
3) Hero Editor usually requires that you are using an English version of Windows and your computer is set for single byte letters/Unicode, NOT multiple byte letters/UniCode. (NOTE: I have never had this problem, but others tell me this solved the problem for them.) From your Control Panel (Start > Settings > Control Panel) run Regional Settings, look for something about Unicode. Make sure the Unicode setting is for single bytes and that you have the language setting for English (in both the Regional Options tab, and the Advanced tab). If using WinXP, it might also help to right-click on Hero Editor.exe, select Properties, and in the Compatibility tab, select Windows 95 mode. If set incorrectly, you will probably get error messages such as "unknown stat found: 21".
4) If pictures don't seem to line up properly, you probably need to set your screen to use Small Fonts.
5) Make sure you have your screen resolution set to at least 800x600, or you won't see the buttons at the bottom of Hero Editor.
Changes from V0.96 to V1.03 (December 6, 2008):
- added support for D2 V1.03 (partial) and V1.07
- added reanimate monsters 704-733
- fixed stash/inv/cube size to allow up to 16x16 (not 8x16)
- fixed corpse/dead bodies re now up to 12 items can be recovered
- fixed bug where main window sometimes cut off text at bottom (version, files, etc.)
- added ability to switch between item decode versions on an already open character file
- added Option re keep only 1 backup character file (in addition to the present all or none)
- added Ladder selection character type
- added the ability for new items that can use all 4 characters for item code
- fixed the mouse move dll, so it now works with XP and Vista
- added more options for custom items, for better support for Mods such as Median
- changed buffer to allow multiple "aura when equipped"
- added option to check save path on char open (for D2GC support)
- added auto hotkey setup (for both right and left skills)
- added a warning if trying to save a file >8191 bytes
- added a "Paste Fill" button to fill inv, etc with charms, etc.
- added a pastex7 of jewels into a weapon (via right-click option)
Changes from V1.03 to V1.04 (October 16, 2010):
- added the 5 new items (Token of Absolution, etc.)
- set the Gold limit for the Stash to the new flat cap
- mass Stat removal added (e.g. remove prayer from all items with one click, BUT, each aura can be removed separately, and not all auras at once)
- added "Akara has Reset Stat/Skill Points" to Act I, Quest I
Credit to ZonFire99
Diablo II 1.14 patch
Blizzard changed the default save game path in 1.14 patch versions to:
C:\Users\(my user name)\Saved Games\Diablo II
Search there for your character save game files