This release addresses one game crash under specific conditions related to dead engineers.
Battlecruiser Millennium Gold by 3000 AD - Gold Ed. retail v1.01.00 -> v1.01.07
NOTICE: ALL PATCHES ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE DIRECTX 8.1B OR HIGHER!!
NEW VERSION INFO
v1.01.07 - 01.23.05
* FIXED: If you docked with dead engineers, a crash will occur when the system
attempts to take your system engineers off station in order to assign station
engineers to your CC. The problem is with taking the dead engineers off
v1.01.06 - 05.04.04
* FIXED: Some events (e.g. !destroyed) when triggered from an object other than
the current object (which is being destroyed), would sometimes either not fire
or fire at the wrong time.
v1.01.05 - 04.06.04
* FIXED: If a prisoner died while in detention, his status was not being
updated when player docks at a station/base and the prisoner removed.
* The respawn timer is now obtained from BCSETUPMP.INI
* The IP address:port of the first client in the "online players" list is now
* FIXED: Client sometimes crashes after respawning
* FIXED: If you took extensive damage and messages were queued up prior to your
death, when you respawn, the queued messages (from the pre-death situation) are
* FIXED: If a client disconnects and then reconnects (or respawns after death),
the sound system is now re-initialized.
* FIXED: Turret beam graphics are now always rendered on clients.
v1.01.04 - 03.08.04
* FIXED: The server would crash if you exited the CC in fp mode
* FIXED: The multiplayer executable was not starting at the server browser by
default (it required /c parameter).
v1.01.02 - 03.02.04
* FIXED: A crash introduced in the previous version, related to Tradcom and an
incorrect file parameter.
v1.01.02 - 02.28.04
* Minor cleanup
* Explosion sounds are no longer played for missiles blowing up or for
fragments resulting from an explosion. This presents a slight performance boost
in that sounds are only played once in these two instances.
* Recompiled with revised PTE2 terrain engine. This removes randomness for
straight and curved corner transition tiles which caused height variations when
matched with the reference heightmap for these transitions, resulting in
incorrect terrain heights at tile boundaries.
* IA/TA scenarios numbering scheme has been revised
* Now includes a limited version of the UNSUPPORTED GBS-II system for creating
* Minor cleanup
* ALT+Q in mp no longer quits the game. Now ALT+Q will return to the SNG screen
if the server was joined via the server browser. If +connect was used, the game
will quit. Dying (KIA) while on the server still spawns you on the server after
30 secs (BCSETUPMP.INI setting)
* FIXED: Some client synch problems when on the planet
v1.01.01 - 12.12.03
* After starting a new Roam or Campaign scenerio, player is now taken to MISCON
so that they can select a scenario other than the default. And upon exiting
MISCON, player is now taken to launch screen.
* When observing a planet with TACOPS, the view now zooms all the way to the
player if the player is located on the planet. Previously the default zoom
view is from the top level GBM.
* Player can no longer drop the tractor beam during a hyperspace transition by
lowering the shields
* Minor legacy cleanup e.g. BRIG has been changed to DETENTION HOLD, all
occurences of SH (shuttles) are now SC, IC to FC etc etc. Note that some
locations are still abbreviated in order for them to fit in the displays when
running the game at 640x480 resolution. This usually happens in Perscan and
other systems which display this information.
* Roam or campaign scenarios (e.g. Feather Duster) which take place in the IA
galaxy didn't allow access to all the station menu options (i.e. only Logistix
is accessible) due to a script command resetting some values to IA.
* The Quick Save option has been removed from the TLM/SYSTEMS menu. Also the
ALT+CTRL+S command has been removed and ALT+S now does the Full Save.
* Intruders and now prisoners are removed from the CC (and any support crafts)
when docked at a station. Previously, intruders were captured and either
converted into prisoners and placed in the detention hold, or removed.
* The DIE unit is no longer cancelled automatically when player moves.
* Revised LBASES.HTML and NAVCHART.HTML files in the DOCS\APPENDIX folder.
These files now contain the launch bases and galaxy maps for the two IA/TA
galaxies. Also revised several other appendix data files e.g. the crew sections
for cruisers and transports and also added the turret shot ratings to ships
etc. Also revised the craft related files to include the turret shot ratings,
* Revised the granularity of AG events so that too many NPC entity classes
don't get generated at the same time
* FIXED: The OC wasn't recharging when docked with the CC
* FIXED: Some of the IA scenario descriptions (e.g. BCIA0026) were truncated in
MISCON due to a missing blank line in the .DES file
* FIXED: The regions in the IA2 galaxy regions will no longer show up in the
Start New Game options for ROAM/ACM scenarios
* FIXED: The regions in the IA1 and IA2 galaxy regions are now correctly
filtered out of the HSD menu
* FIXED: The Esoterica station was using the New America station base class
data in Tradcom/Info
* FIXED: Prisoners can no longer be given orders from Tactical/Loadout/Team
* FIXED: A very serious problem with loading saved games. In some instances the
EOF marker was not being preserved and this would cause the game to either
enter an infinite loop or crash.
* FIXED: The fatal error window will now be displayed when the game is running
in full screen mode
* FIXED: Cloned personnel were re-created without their default inventory
* FIXED: If the controller in CONFIG is set to Mouse or Keyboard the joystick
rudder axis is now ignored. This forces mouse X to perform roll when SHIFT is
pressed and yaw when shift is released irrespecive of the type of joystick that
* Implemented server version checking. The client will abandon connections to a
server with a mismatched version. NOTE: Release and Debug versions are classed
as incompatible i.e a release build client cannot connect to a debug build
* Further prediction and orientation tweaks. Orientation error correction is
performed so that objects turn smoothly and don't snap orientation when the
predicted orientation deviates from an incoming positionion/orientation packet.
The error correction is performed using a velocity correction with a quadratic
ease-in and ease-out profile. The duration of the correction is set to half of
the delay between the last two packets.
The orientation component of the position packet therefore no longer directly
sets the orientation of the object (which causes the snap). This can result in
a slight delay when an object is initially created while the error correction
procedure sets the proper initial orientation. During this time the object may
be observed to spin. This usually occurs after docking and launching from a
* During prediction, the velocity vector is rotated with predicted orientation
adustment to reduce positional deviation.
* On the server, the TTD of cloaked or hidden objects is no longer displayed
* Some packet sizes have been reduced (in particular the position/orientation
* Remote craft prediction is now disabled during hyperspace jumps (this would
disrupt/delay the entry into a jump).
* The crafts progress time through a hyperjump is now sent in order to improve
* Status packets (armor/shield/integrity etc) are now sent during hyperjump.
Status data that effects the visual state of the craft is ignored.
* The client can now chat when in TACOPS (ESCAPE key)
* SHIFT+ESCAPE now displays the list of clients currently connected on the
server. Press any key or mouse click, to dismiss the menu. Works on the server
* Server operator can now send chat messages to clients by pressing ESC.
Interface is the same as client chat (except t there is no "team" option).
Clients can send chat message only to the server op by de-selecting all players
from the send list. When the message is sent, only the server op will get it.
* Server logging to BCSDEBUG.LOG is now enabled using "/l[level]" where level
can be 1 to 5. The higher the level, the more info that is recorded. The /l
(lower case!) option and (a) it must be preceded by /s (server) and (b) it is
valid in the debug and release builds. e.g. "bcmg.exe /s /l2"
* First pass at non-dedicated (unsupported) server. This allows the client and
server to run on the same machine. To connect a client to a server running on
the same machine, create (you can just clone the existing Join MP Server
shortcut) a new shortcut and add +connect 127.0.0.1 commandline parameters.
Then start the server and connect to it using the newly created shortcut.
+ You need a high-end machine for this setup. Minimum requirements are :
P4 2.0Ghz or Athlon 2200+ with 512MB RAM
+ This will work for a LAN or Internet server.
+ When the client attempts to initialize using the port number for the
server (2302) it will fail the first time as the server is already using that
port. In that case the client will now attempt to retry using the next port
+ Since only one retry attempt is performed it is only possible to run one
client on a machine also running a server.
+ If the server and windowed client (/w1) are run it is possible to switch
focus between the two windows
+ Adding additional clients (on the LAN or otherwise) does not work. This
non-dedicated server only allows a single client and server on the same
machine; for the same reason you cannot run two clients on the same machine and
both trying to access a server (on another machine).
+ The client running on the same machine as the server will currently not
receive any player-to-player communications (e.g. chat). This is being
researched further and a workaround for this will be forthcoming.
* Further prediction and object orientation tweaks. Its now a lot smoother than
ever before (WIP)
* Added support for scenario loading via the commandline
+ Usage is similar to other commandline parameter passing e.g. "bcmg.exe
+ The commandline option takes precedence over the BCSETUPMP.INI setting
i.e. if +scenario is specified, then the value set in the INI file is ignored.
+ The default is BCMP0000 in the event that (a) +scenario is not specified
and (b) the [game.scenarios] block in the INI file is empty or doesn't contain
+ The scenario value is also reported to the master servers
* Several revisions to player name/asset reporting
+ The primary asset status of an object is maintained globally. The
primary asset is the object that the player starts in (unless he starts in a FP
career without an asset). The name given to this asset is specified in SNG.
This name will appear in logs and TTDs etc. When the player is aboard the
primary asset the player name preceeds the asset name in the format: player
name (asset name)
+ When aboard a support craft, the support craft name replaces the primary
+ When the player is not aboard the primary asset, its name is simply the
+ When in FP mode the name of the objects is the players name
+ The client info list now shows just the player name and asset name. The
third name (the effective player name which would change depending on the
players location, has been removed to avoid confusion and to avoid problems
with very long names)
* Several revisions to the chat system
+ The key entry menu item is now taller at low screen resolutions so the
text does not overflow the bottom of the menu.
+ If the text entered into a chat menu item forces the menu width close to
the width of the display then menu item font size is reduced to allow entry of
more text. Additional text input at the smaller size is limited so the menu
cannot exceed the display width.
If the chat message length is longer than might fit into the Commlink or
Commlink menu, then it is broken into multiple parts e.g.
[SERVER OP] If the chat message length is longer...
...than might fit into the commlink or commlink...
...menu then it is broken into multiple parts
A reasonable attempt is made to split the message at whitespace.
+ WIP: A new multiplay specific chat system is being implemented. This
allows the previous 8 (or perhaps more) messages to appear in the entry menu
above the text entry menu item. Incoming messages (not local messages) will
scroll here in Teletype style as they are received. This makes it easier to
view messages (press the ESC key and leave the dialog open) without having to
use the default Commlink system which may not be desirable during heavy combat
* The names of objects that are displayed in the CVD and TACSCAN can overflow
the instrument, e.g. this one definitely does "TER/MIL Supreme Commander
(GCV-Warmonger)". This happens usually when the player is aboard his primary
asset. The name is too large to fit at lower resolutions. Such names are now
trimmed using the following methods
1. The asset name is stripped ie "TER/MIL Supreme Commander". If the name
is still too large then
2. The race and caste are stripped ie "Supreme Commander". If the name is
still too large then
3. The name is truncated and an ellipsis is added until it will fit, e.g.
NOTE: This may be required for some menus as well, e.g. Zoom To menu that
lists object names and status information can easily be too wide to be visible
at lower resolutions if the player names are long.
* Some properties of cloaked obects are now supported (eg noise spikes and
"there's something out there"). This also addresses instances where a ship that
was cloaked before cannot be seen in the CVD when it decloaks
* Added several server/client messages (e.g. destroyed, connect, disconnects
etc). These are sent to clients and also the server log file
* The client info list is now consistent in all clients and server. Previously
the server used a different format
* The default initial chat (when the client first joins the server) recipient
is now set to ALL (when the user selects the recipient with ENTER key)
* The scenario name format in the BCSETUPMP.INI file has been revised to
support future multiplay scenarios
* WIP: In fp mode the names of all clients on the server are now displayed
above their TTD. When this is completed, the names will be displayed only for
friendlies at long distances and be displayed for hostiles at short distances.
This new feature makes combat in fp mode a bit easier (and consistent with
other multiplay games) for picking out friendlies from hostiles without having
to constantly use the DIE to find targets. However, since only their name is
displayed, if you want the full TTD info, you have to select the person in the
DIE radar mode.
* The metacharacters "~", "@" & "*" no longer perform special processing in
chat text entry menu items (chat and password entry), thereby allowing them to
* The CHEATS menu has been added to the graphical server window. This allows
the server op to dynamically create entities in the game world. e.g. you could
create a hostile carrier in the middle of a group of friendly players or even
create a cargo pod of minerals (currently only Plutonium, Iridium, Radine are
supported) and drop it in the game world for gamers to fight over and collect
* Implemented -nms (no master server) which will prevent the server from
broadcasting to the master servers. Can be used in cases where you don't want
anyone to see your server in the in-game browser or ASE. The only way for
anyone to then join the server is if they know the IP address - and then they'd
have to join the server using command line options.
* Server now supports AutoGenerated entities in scripts. This is controlled in
the BCSETUPMP.INI file using the allow_ag option e.g. allow_ag=1. If set to 0,
then no NPCs will be generated regardless of what is in the script. i.e. this
INI option overrides whatever is in the script currently running.
* The Individual and Multiple chat recipient menus can now be navigated using
the up and down arrow keys so that you don't have to take your hands off the
keyboard in order to use the mouse to select a recipient. The space bar will
toggle the selected menu item that has a check box.
In the Indivudual recipient menu, the enter key will action the selected menu
In the Multiple recipient menu, the enter key will action "Send" irrespective
of the currently selected item. (This is so the player does not need to
navigate to send to actually send the message).
The mouse can still be used to manipulate the menu.
* The BCSERVERCONFIG app now supports the new scenario naming format introduced
* FIXED: If you exited your craft, you sometimes couldn't get back in it. This
problem appeared when the ability to have your player name in your TTD, was
* FIXED: If the first player to login to a server logged off, the server would
not destroy the object. As such, it will remain "ghosted" on the server until
the server was restarted.
* FIXED: Chat menu items widths/tab stops calculated using lower case text
which was later forced to upper case causing text to overflow RHS of menu
* FIXED: Client crash if another player disconnects while in hyperspace
* FIXED: Location of remote craft during hyperspace jump was undefined and
would sometimes cause a crash or out of synch condition
* FIXED: The Insurgent caste was available for all races instead of only for
the Terran race. This would cause a problem if player selected, for example,
* FIXED: Crash on server when pressing ALT+S and F1 to F10. This bug appeared
when the ability to chat on the server was implemented in RC2.
* FIXED: Problems sending chat messages in FP mode
* FIXED: Tacops "ZOOM TO" menu not functioning on server
* FIXED: In the release build, when the client sends any packet to itself,
(e.g. sends chat to "all"), the client could become disconnected from his
asset. This manifests itself in various ways e.g. creation of ghost objects,
pauses, inability to control craft, inability to see craft in exernal views,
spurious instability issues etc.
* FIXED: several client synch problems due to high packet loss from the client
* FIXED: several problems related to client info in the TTD, the SHIFT+ESC
client info list, the server, etc etc
* FIXED: If you have weapons armed and try to discard the comms message box
with a left mouse click, the guns will no longer fire
* FIXED: Previously if a client was destroyed and respawns, sometimes it could
no longer receive comms messages from other clients.
* FIXED: current speed indicator in HUD not updated. Also fixes any other
problem cause by the use of the predicted velocity for local objects.
* FIXED: remote object cloaking SFX "looping" on local clients
* FIXED: sometimes, depending on their asset, when a client was destroyed a GPF
would occur after the respawn delay
* FIXED: ALT+Q and ALT+S now quit the server instead of causing a crash
* FIXED: Exiting Perscan with the ESC (or any key) no longer activates the chat
window on return to the bridge li>FIXED: A call to a time function on the
server (which has no valid player profile object) is likely to cause a crash if
AG is enabled on the server and an NPC docks to resupply the station.